2018 Conference Schedule Predictions

peanuts104

Despite the crushing loss yesterday and being dominated by FAU twice, we still went 7-2 in conference.   I imagine our conference schedule next year will be much more difficult than it was this year.  This year we won some of our closest games at home, including UAB and UTSortaAlmost and a regressed ODU team, two of which (UAB and ODU) were not expected to be close.   While it's impossible to know what the outcome would have been if we had played them on the road, a touchdown swing in the other way would not be unreasonable.  I think getting to 9 wins next year could be a difficult task to replicate, especially considering the fact that SMU is our first game instead of an FCS team and Liberty could definitely be a trap Portland State-esque game.  Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

1- I’m glad we have SMU first.. they will be adjusting to a new coach and it will take them time to get used to it even though it’s a likely minor change from what Morris had them doing..

2- isn’t Arkansas the 2nd game? If so I’m glad, because they have likely going to be in the dumps/adjusting to Morris as well.. 

3- No idea when Liberty is, but SL needs to have the team focused and use it as another “statement” game.

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

2- isn’t Arkansas the 2nd game? If so I’m glad, because they have likely going to be in the dumps/adjusting to Morris as well.. 

Third game.  We play Incarnate Ward in between.  So we have a Div II team and an FCS team on our schedule next year...which we should win, but will lead to questions about strength of schedule.

• Downvote 4

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Third game.  We play Incarnate Ward in between.  So we have a Div II team and an FCS team on our schedule next year...which we should win, but will lead to questions about strength of schedule.

UIW is FCS in Southland, Liberty is FBS transition, no DII. 

Guess 9 wins and UNT fans become Football Snobs talking down every other school. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

we are not to a point the SoS plays a roll in our future.  We need wins.  Let Bama and the likes worry about SoS to get into the play-offs....Let's just win as many games as we can right now....

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

1- I’m glad we have SMU first.. they will be adjusting to a new coach and it will take them time to get used to it even though it’s a likely minor change from what Morris had them doing..

3- No idea when Liberty is, but SL needs to have the team focused and use it as another “statement” game.

1 & 2: Agree.  However, Arkansas is game #3 after UIW.    I feel like Arkansas is staring a winless SEC season in the face since they have recruited big run-heavy dudes on offense for the past 5 seasons, & Morris is going to want to transition to his fast spread.   And SMU won't have Sutton (although they'll still have Quinn).

3: Liberty is game #4.  They didn't do so well last year after opening the season with a win VS Baylor in Waco.  We should be able to pound them pretty good, even if it's on the road.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1 & 2: Agree.  However, Arkansas is game #3 after UIW.    I feel like Arkansas is staring a winless SEC season in the face since they have recruited big run-heavy dudes on offense for the past 5 seasons, & Morris is going to want to transition to his fast spread.   And SMU won't have Sutton (although they'll still have Quinn).

3: Liberty is game #4.  They didn't do so well last year after opening the season with a win VS Baylor in Waco.  We should be able to pound them pretty good, even if it's on the road.

I wish we could have played Baylor this year.....

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Liberty counts as an FBS game for anyone who plays them. That has been debated ad nauseam on this board.

So then we lose one of our wins in 2018 since you can only count 1 win towards Bowl Eligibility against FCS competition. What a bang up job of scheduling when every win is needed for Bowl.

• Downvote 8

8 minutes ago, untbowler said:

So then we lose one of our wins in 2018 since you can only count 1 win towards Bowl Eligibility against FCS competition. What a bang up job of scheduling when every win is needed for Bowl.

I think you misunderstood...Liberty will be considered FBS next year. Our one FCS win will come against Incarnate Word. All of our games will count towards bowl eligibility.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, untbowler said:

wrong. It counts as an FBS win. They will in the FBS probationary year. They count as an FBS game (and win) for anyone that plays them. They aren't eligible for postseason play in 2018 but that has no impact on their opponents. They are full members in 2019. 

I think 9 wins is very doable next year. We should go into conference play at 3-1. No Sutton, new coach for SMU, and a packed Apogee should lead to win over the Ponies.

Hopefully C-USA doesn't get lazy with interconference games and gives us FIU and Charlotte instead of FAU and Old Dominion again. If FIU and Charlotte, that'd be two more winnable games.

Then looking at our division. We will have UTSA, UAB and UTEP on the road, and LA Tech, Southern Miss, and Rice at home. UTSA and UAB will be tough on the road, but I think it's still safe to say we've got a shot in every single division game.

Just not looking forward to getting hammered by FAU in a possible C-USA Championship Rematch.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-north-texas-mean-green-football-schedule.php

Don't know how official this is....but if you look at the bottom....it says we play the same crossovers next year.

So according to this site, we'll get FAU in Denton.....will be interesting to see when CUSA schedules it.

I think La Tech and USM will be improved next year, glad we're getting them at home....but we have a tough home slate with those 2 and FAU

I'm not worried about UTSA at their place...but UAB will be a tough out on the road.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

12 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-north-texas-mean-green-football-schedule.php

Don't know how official this is....but if you look at the bottom....it says we play the same crossovers next year.

So according to this site, we'll get FAU in Denton.....will be interesting to see when CUSA schedules it.

I think La Tech and USM will be improved next year, glad we're getting them at home....but we have a tough home slate with those 2 and FAU

I'm not worried about UTSA at their place...but UAB will be a tough out on the road.

That game may determine the CUSA West winner