Can we take a moment to appreciate this team?

oldguystudent

41 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

This is a team that two years ago went 1-15.  They're still undersized and slower than most FBS programs.  Yet we won nine games with delicious last second wins against UAB, UTSA (who didn't go bowling because F those guys), and Army.  We got rid of the thugs.  No arrests this year.  We played clean.  We have scholar athletes, and isn't that what this is really about?  STUDENT/athlete?  We have that in spades.  Seth Littrell has brought national attention to our program.  It hurts that we lost today, but I saw us run the table at home against some great competition with classy STUDENT/athletes in Apogee.  

Thank you Mean Green players and coaching staff.  I'm proud of all of you to a man.  I'm proud to share my alma mater with each and every one of you. 

They are facing some major NCAA violations if they played 16 games 2 years ago 

• Upvote 1

You are absolutely right oldguystudent. Very few predicted that this team would win more than 6 games this season. They exceeded our expectations.Am I disappointed in the loss? Yes. However, this team has a lot of upside. We have some recruiting that we need to get done. The coaches took mediocre talent and made winners out of them. Now we have to recruit decent talent and build champions. I am hoping that SL knew that this season would be tough and we redshirted a lot of guys who were way more talented than what we fielded. I am hoping they did that to get those guys ready for 2018. Had them for one year to learn and grow and then unleash them in 2018. I saw some flashes of our future when I saw Tyreke Davis play today. He is certainly going to be much better than Preston. He has more speed and skill. He showed that closing speed that he had at Ryan High School. So, now it is time for the coaches to recruit, recruit, recruit.

Edited by Venson
Grammar Correction
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Wasn’t on the board, but was around for the season.. starting to think you may have some dad/child issues with you bringing up my “dad” so much now.. 

Oh really, the guy who very oddly (creepily honestly) refers to the creator of a show as his dad is saying other people have dad/child issues? 

• Haha 2

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Oh really, the guy who very oddly (creepily honestly) refers to the creator of a show as his dad is saying other people have dad/child issues? 

Apparently you weren’t around when the joke was started last year.. with Me and UNT 90 Grad talking before the livestream for the podcasts. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Apparently you weren’t around when the joke was started last year.. with Me and UNT 90 Grad talking before the livestream for the podcasts. 

And neither has anyone else, and it's just weird social behavior to constantly call another grown man "dad." Not that weird social behavior on here is a first for you, but knock it off with the personal attacks. Especially against well-respected posters on this board. 

Hate that this thread got de-railed. I totally agree and it's always hard to see the forest from the trees after an embarrassing loss like this. But you risk losing big like this when you get really high quality bowl opponents, and you get high quality bowl opponents by having really good seasons. This teams will build off this season and could turn into something special with time.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

And neither has anyone else, and it's just weird social behavior to constantly call another grown man "dad." Not that weird social behavior on here is a first for you, but knock it off with the personal attacks. Especially against well-respected posters on this board. 

Hate that this thread got de-railed. I totally agree and it's always hard to see the forest from the trees after an embarrassing loss like this. But you risk losing big like this when you get really high quality bowl opponents, and you get high quality bowl opponents by having really good seasons. This teams will build off this season and could turn into something special with time.

If it’s odd, then ignore me.. just like I tell everyone else.. I’m not sorry you aren’t part of the joke.. 

But This was not a “High-quality bowl”.. it was a high quality match up with Troy but low quality for UNT, because of the tie-in with the Sunbelt, not the match up but the match ups conference. We overachieved this season and to many people do not realize that, and we were in a position we should not have been in.. We went 4/5-0 in close games, and that is not common.. We lucked into to many wins and we got a match up we were not ready for... We settled on the NO bowl and never turned back.. This offseason is critical for this team and the AD office.. the OL has to improve greatly and this defense as well.. We have potentially one of the best QBs and we can not let it go to waste, but he has to show progress.. Next year he needs to be able to change the play instead of this stay with the play we take the result, he has to get the INTs down and improve in not getting hit so much..  the AD office needs to find a way to correct the terrible feeling Fans have right now after the last 2 beat downs as well.

Fans blame Reff, the players defend Reff saying its not the system it’s the players.. If it’s the players messing up then why the hell are they out there! Why is the DC getting bossed around by players on whose playing? If it’s on the players when do they learn? We heard if players messed up the “leaders of the team would correct it”, but we suffered multiple blowouts and defensive let downs all year.. This was game 27 under SL and this system.. they have had 30 additional practices these 2 past years as well, so it’s nothing new.. 

The fans that keep saying we were 1-11 or 1-15 2 years ago, when do we let it go? Do we let it go once all those guys are gone? do we let it go once SL has a full 85, because he was at 80 to start this year? Stop using 1–11 and he inherited a crap roster.. He has brought in a ton of guys.. the offense is mostly SL guys, Defense, and now ST as well.. These are guys this staff picked and they talked so highly of. No one on the staff uses 1–11 as an excuse and it’s very #OldDenton of us to do that. 

The forrest is thick because of the mindset that fans use like 1-11 2 years ago, they need time in the system, SL need more of his guys.. The offense was nearly entirely his guys today.. Murray, Woody, Smiley were the only non-SL guys.. Defense the non SL guys were McClain, BG, Young, Andy, Tillman, Preston even though he was replaced by Davis. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

Great post, @oldguystudent...this meteoric rose from the ashes of the worst loss in modern college football history is just a smidge over two years old. Truth be told, we really should have been 0-12, all things considered, in 2015. Today, we are down because we lost a bowl game against a top level G5 after losing our conference championship game. That’s insane, when you really look back to where we were. We’ve gone from DMac’s 1930s offense to an actual modern one. We have a real AD for the first time in decades. Our QB is first team all-Conference, not a dude who should’ve been playing FCS or D-2 ball.

But don’t worry, there are plenty of posters who won’t even think one moment about any of this...

• Confused 1