Why is the future bright?

UNTWILLWIN

"FR" and "SO". 

It seemed that every player the broadcast talked about today had one of those two abbreviations following their name. So many of our key players still have two or three years remaining in their college careers.  Today we lost to a senior heavy team that is at a peak in their cycle.  We hopefully have two more years before we hit peak. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

"FR" and "SO". 

It seemed that every player the broadcast talked about today had one of those two abbreviations following their name. So many of our key players still have two or three years remaining in their college careers.  Today we lost to a senior heavy team that is at a peak in their cycle.  We hopefully have two more years before we hit peak. 

Are you talking about these FR and Soph's?

98 R.J. ReynoldsDL6-4 240 FR Bedford, TXFaith Christian

97  Dion Novil  DL  6-4  253  FR  Abilene, TXWylie HS

96 Tony Krasniqi  DL  6-1 249   FR  Sachse, TXSachse HS

17 Joe Ozougwu  LB  6-3  217  RS FR   Alief, TX  Taylor HS

20  William LeMasters  LB   6-2  217  RS SO   Dallas, TXParish  Episcopal HS

26  Chris Thornton  LB  6-1  215   FR   Amarillo, TX   Palo Duro HS

36  Hayden Doggett  LB   6-2  212  SO   Hutto, TX   Hutto HS

42  Corey Mann  LB  6-0  198   RS FR   Temple, TX   Temple HS

44  Stephon Primous  LB  6-1  201   RS SO   Harker Heights, TX   Harker Heights HS

58  Ryan Bishop  LB  5-11 191  FR   Allen, TX   Allen HS

59  Hayden Harrison  LB  6-2  210  RS FR   Wolfforth, TX   Frenship HS

I'm more concerned with the numbers before their class designation. I don't see big numbers, and when i watched our games this year, I didn't see anything that resembled fast either. From just the raw numbers that go along with these freshman and sophomores, the DL's would only be big enough to play LB for the FAU's and the Troy"s of the world, and the LB's are more DB sized by FAU and Troy standards. 

Character is a very important quality, but BIG AND FAST is what really kicked our asses this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Are you talking about these FR and Soph's?

98 R.J. ReynoldsDL6-4 240 FR Bedford, TXFaith Christian

97  Dion Novil  DL  6-4  253  FR  Abilene, TXWylie HS

96 Tony Krasniqi  DL  6-1 249   FR  Sachse, TXSachse HS

17 Joe Ozougwu  LB  6-3  217  RS FR   Alief, TX  Taylor HS

20  William LeMasters  LB   6-2  217  RS SO   Dallas, TXParish  Episcopal HS

26  Chris Thornton  LB  6-1  215   FR   Amarillo, TX   Palo Duro HS

36  Hayden Doggett  LB   6-2  212  SO   Hutto, TX   Hutto HS

42  Corey Mann  LB  6-0  198   RS FR   Temple, TX   Temple HS

44  Stephon Primous  LB  6-1  201   RS SO   Harker Heights, TX   Harker Heights HS

58  Ryan Bishop  LB  5-11 191  FR   Allen, TX   Allen HS

59  Hayden Harrison  LB  6-2  210  RS FR   Wolfforth, TX   Frenship HS

I'm more concerned with the numbers before their class designation. I don't see big numbers, and when i watched our games this year, I didn't see anything that resembled fast either. From just the raw numbers that go along with these freshman and sophomores, the DL's would only be big enough to play LB for the FAU's and the Troy"s of the world, and the LB's are more DB sized by FAU and Troy standards. 

Character is a very important quality, but BIG AND FAST is what really kicked our asses this year.

Those numbers are disheartening. Our LBs need to be at least around the 230-250 range. Our DLs need to be more like 280-300. Across the board, all the FR and SO need to put on at least 20 lbs of muscle and not just the DL and LB. We have several WR under 180, RB under 190, DB under 180, and OL under 280. A JC or FCS program could field bigger and faster. Hell some high schools could do better. To pack on 20 lbs of muscle and improve speed is going to be a tough job. Let's hope strength and conditioning coach along with the nutritionist, that WB hired, can get it done.

• Thanks 2

On December 17, 2017 at 6:32 AM, marcus unuigbey said:

giphy.gif

All kidding aside. I feel like we will have some players come out of the woodworks next year. players that are on the roster but haven't been talked about (not much at least). Here are 5 players I think may make an impact, no particular order but.....

1) Kerry Hall - Special teams (either KR or PR)

2) Joe Ozougwu - already on peoples radar but feel like his play next year will still surprise ppl

3) Chris Thornton 

4)Makyle Sanders

5)Keegan Brewer - (Him along with greg white will be the new receivers who will be targeted next)

Disclaimer - no inside information.....just a wild, wild hunch #ButI'mNotACoach

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think the main problem we had at LB was speed, not size.  

Well then it makes you wonder why Corey Mann(ran a 4.5 in HS) wasn't starting.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mann at the weak side with his speed. At 198 pounds he's not gonna be able to shed many blocks though. I think BG's days are numbered as a starter.

6 hours ago, MeanGreenWarDaddy said:

All kidding aside. I feel like we will have some players come out of the woodworks next year. players that are on the roster but haven't been talked about (not much at least). Here are 5 players I think may make an impact, no particular order but.....

1) Kerry Hall - Special teams (either KR or PR)

2) Joe Ozougwu - already on peoples radar but feel like his play next year will still surprise ppl

3) Chris Thornton 

4)Makyle Sanders

5)Keegan Brewer - (Him along with greg white will be the new receivers who will be targeted next)

Disclaimer - no inside information.....just a wild, wild hunch #ButI'mNotACoach

may need to add Kody Fulp to that list.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenWarDaddy said:

Oh yea i agree... he should to be on the list. From some of the podcasts it sounds like he may have the potential to be the next Orr by his senior year. Idk about that but I’m excited for him non the less.

China Spring has provide us with some players.  My wife has family in that area and they have spoken highly of Mr. Fulp.  Size reminds me of Brad Kassell.

• Upvote 1