Contract extension?

Cr1028

56 minutes ago, untbowler said:

no extension, he got one last year, even after closing losing 5 of 6, This year had a losing record against .500 teams and had a defense that was horrible. 

Scraped by UTSA, ODU. Only convincing wins were against Rice and UTEP the dregs of CUSA.

As other mention Neil Brown and Kiffin both completely schooled SL and Coaches in the 3 games. SL is not going any where. The two beatdowns on ESPN by Peer schools ran off any suitors.

Southern Miss was a convincing 15pt win

• Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Why?  Are we really going to this AGAIN?  The 1-11 thing is worn out and have many people fooled.

Fans were on here calling Mac out, but because we were once 1-11 Littrell is getting a pass.  The same concerns we had about Mac should be applied to Littrell.  Mac's issue was the QB position and the offense...Litrell is the defense and it may be worse cause there's horrible coaches and doesn't seem to be any pieces coming down the pipeline.  At least with Mac's offense there were a few pieces here and there, but most on here knew the QB position would eventually blow up in our face and it did.

And Mac's 9-4 season was much more impressive than this season.  It fell apart.  The signs were there and the signs are here that we need to see more.  Chico and the offense was never addressed.  Recruiting was never addressed.  Mac was extended and we assumed it would work itself out.  Many on here were saying Mac won with Dodge's recruits and we need to see if Mac (umm and Chico) could win with his guys.  Why is Littrell getting a pass?  Cause of Fine?  QB is very important, so he should get credit, but that's not going to be enough.

This season was a much easier schedule than the past years.  2016 too.  The 2015, 1-11 season had a killer schedule.  This current team may have won 3 games against that schedule.  I say they would have beaten UTSA and Portland State.  UTEP would have been a shootout.  There a lot more Littrell needs to show. 

Get a defense.  upgrade recruiting. An extension would be OLD DENTON.  

LOL!   How is Littrell getting a pass?  And just out of curiosity, what is his worst loss, and who was the opponent. The difference in this team is night and day. Is it where we need to be, no, but I see nothing that tells me h can't get us there, at this point. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

LOL!   How is Littrell getting a pass?  And just out of curiosity, what is his worst loss, and who was the opponent. The difference in this team is night and day. Is it where we need to be, no, but I see nothing that tells me h can't get us there, at this point. 

And Mac was 9-4 coming off a HOD bowl win...we extended him knowing there were questions.  I'm comparing the situations.  Issues with the other side of the ball and recruiting.  Very similar. 

Good thing in Littrell favor is his team is young, but the bigger thing is next year's schedule won't be as hard as when Mac was here.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

And Mac was 9-4 coming off a HOD bowl win...we extended him knowing there were questions.  I'm comparing the situations.  Issues with the other side of the ball and recruiting.  Very similar. 

Good thing in Littrell favor is his team is young, but the bigger thing is next year's schedule won't be as hard as when Mac was here.

What options did we have when we extended Mac?  He was at his last stop and wasn't going to get poached.  Littrell is an up and coming coach who will get offers, unless he falls flat on his face.  If we wait until he goes 11-1 next season, we will be spinning our tires.  If his extension and buyout isn't increased by then, we might as well start a coaching search.

• Upvote 1

A lot of great points on this topic. I can certainly see the pros and cons of an extension. I now say you list all the pros and then list the cons and make your decision. There is always risk when negotiating. Hopefully whatever decision is made is in the best interest of moving this program forward. 

• Upvote 1

So pros and cons: I see it as hedging the downside risk right? There are two possible negatives:

Risk 1 - we don't extend Littrell and don't increase the buyout: he goes out next year, has a good year, gets poached

result: we have to pay more out of pocket to get the next coach

Risk 2 - We do extend Littrell, extend the buyout: he goes out next year and regresses, recruiting doesn't improve, and we never get over this hump 

result: we are committed to more years and more $$ for same results 

Assuming the downside happens in each scenario: Which one do we want?

We might say worrying about committing more money down the line is #olddenton but so is worrying about having to pay more for a new coach now. There's really no difference....which one do we prefer?

Risk/Reward

I'm to the point where losing Littrell doesn't scare me. If he does a good enough job here it gets him a bigger job next year, then it's upside for us. Our program will be an attractive place for the next guy. Maybe we even upgrade. It will be worth paying more. 

I say wait another year

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2017 at 5:02 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because his buyout will be lower then.. if a P5 job opens up and SL thinks he has a chance, he would just delay the extension talks knowing his buyout would be less making him more attractive..  

If the amount of a buy out is that big of a factor in a program deciding to hire Seth Littrell.....is that program going to be attractive to Littrell? I would assume the next step up for him would be to a program that is big enough to not have to worry about a buy out. If a program says "we really like SL but we can't afford that buyout" I'm gonna assume it's not that big of a step up for him....