Saturday Morning Tailgate

AustinFromUNT

Pre-Game Pep Rally  9:00 - 11:30 a.m.

Borgne Restaurant 601 Loyola Ave., New Orleans, LA 70113 (across from the Superdome in the Hyatt Regency)

Meet up with Mean Green fans before the game to get in the spirit. Enjoy special appearances by Scrappy, UNT Cheer and the Green Brigade marching band. Light fare provided. Cash bar. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

I really admire the effort put on by the school and athletic department to have a separate graduation in New Orleans on Friday for graduating students like myself. I would have loved to go. But the reality is that a graduating student can't tell all of his or her family to drive eight hours to attend a graduation. And several other students who may have gone to a local bowl will be attending their friends' graduations.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I really admire the effort put on by the school and athletic department to have a separate graduation in New Orleans on Friday for graduating students like myself. I would have loved to go. But the reality is that a graduating student can't tell all of his or her family to drive eight hours to attend a graduation. And several other students who may have gone to a local bowl will be attending their friends' graduations.

But NO is such a great bowl, and everyone will go!!! 

But you are correct, to many students are focused on going home, finals or something else this week/weekend for them to go down to NO.. plus doubtful many wanted to be on a bus for 8-9 hours as well

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

But NO is such a great bowl, and everyone will go!!! 

But you are correct, to many students are focused on going home, finals or something else this week/weekend for them to go down to NO.. plus doubtful many wanted to be on a bus for 8-9 hours as well

Let there be no doubt that next year... no matter what bowl game it may be... I will be there.

40 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

As a student, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. To be frank, what did you expect? you pick the bowl game closet to finals, 8 hours away, on graduation day for many schools, this close to Christmas? 

I really just don't understand the thought process behind people thinking this.

I asked several buddies who are still at UNT if they are going and all said no for any of the various reasons above. 

If they athletic department truly expected a high student turn out, I hope this was a lesson. 

I've come to terms with out opponent and such, that I'm not disappointed in, but the lack of consideration for the students is mind blowing. Maybe, it wasn't a lack of consideration and they truly thought it would turn out better. They wanted a "fun place for the players", well here is your fun place and there won't be a large gathering of students in attendance. Some times you can have your cake, but no one is going to eat it except you.

GMG, I'll be watching it on TV the day before a nUTSAk graduation. 

Graduation doesn't impact the entire student body. We have 40,000 students and can't get 160 to take up an offer that's cheaper than the gas to get there if they drove themselves? 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Graduation doesn't impact the entire student body. We have 40,000 students and can't get 160 to take up an offer that's cheaper than the gas to get there if they drove themselves? 

I believe there was something similar in 01 and it didn't sell out.  Many students want to make a weekend of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

As a student, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. To be frank, what did you expect? you pick the bowl game closet to finals, 8 hours away, on graduation day for many schools, this close to Christmas? 

These are weak excuses.

Most finals are over by Thursday.

2001-2004 New Orleans Bowls were on Tuesdays.  Several of those were during finals week.  I remember having to get a waiver to take my finals early the Saturday before to go to the 2004 bowl.

Most bowl games involve some travel.  A weekend game sure beats a weekday game for travel.  And an 8 hour road trip, 1 hour flight is nothing for travel.

All of Bowl season is near Christmas.  This game is more than a week before Christmas.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Again.  Our choices were this and the New Mexico Bowl.  That happens to be on... the exact same day.  So are you telling me a flood of students was going to head to Albuquerque?

5 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

You aren't going to get a flood of students much outside of a 3/4 hour driving radius the week before Christmas period. 

Well we didn't have any offers inside a 3/4 hour driving radius, so why are you saying this:

5 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I've come to terms with out opponent and such, that I'm not disappointed in, but the lack of consideration for the students is mind blowing.

It's not like we turned down the HoD to go to NO.  

5 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

but the lack of consideration for the students is mind blowing. Maybe, it wasn't a lack of consideration and they truly thought it would turn out better. 

GMG, I'll be watching it on TV the day before a nUTSAk graduation.

Lack of consideration?  For the students?  As mentioned, we didn't have a handful of choices and   secondly, this is a reward for the players.

What is truly mindblowing is  what is in bold.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 6:06 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

If that's a real number that only 88 were sold the students should be embarrassed. 

1- didn’t help the plan was announced only 3/4 days before the buses left..

2- timing.. students were either going home and it was finals week as well.. 

3- plans like this should have been announced/ said sooner than later..

• Thanks 1