NO Bowl Preview - Lindy's Sports

jdennis82

Hadn't seen this posted yet.  Good read as we start gearing up for Sat...

http://www.lindyssports.com/college-football/column/college-football-look-ahead/north-texas-offense-troys-defense-square-off-in-new-orleans-bowl/461182/

The Mean Green are 18th in the nation in total offense, passing for 291 yards per game and rushing for 176.

Mean Green quarterback Mason Fine has thrown for 3,749 yards and 28 touchdowns in helping the team average 35.9 points per game.

As potent as North Texas’ offense is under Littrell, Troy’s defense is just as dominant.

Troy enters the New Orleans Bowl ranked 11th in the country in scoring defense, allowing 17.5 points allowed per game. The Trojans are the only team in the country to not allow more than 25 points in a game this season.

The Trojans’ defense has 15 interceptions and 36 sacks. The unit ranks fifth nationally with an average of 8.4 tackles for loss per game.

Pulled out these sections as it seems clear that this game pits strength vs strength

Edited by jdennis82
  • Lovely Take 1

Hey guys.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Troy's "only team to not allow more than 25 points in a game" status is in VERY SERIOUS jeopardy on Saturday.
Mason+Fine+North+Texas+v+Florida+Atlanti

Well, our cornerback with all those picks probably won't play. I believe he's the NCAA active leader in interceptions. He got injured during the title game. Good news for you guys I'm sure. What's the word on Wilson and Guyton?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Hey guys.

Well, our cornerback with all those picks probably won't play. I believe he's the NCAA active leader in interceptions. He got injured during the title game. Good news for you guys I'm sure. What's the word on Wilson and Guyton?

Wilson is out, Guyton should be good to go since he played in the CUSA Championship game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Hey guys.

I was trying to find any tidbit of news to confirm if Brown was out or not. Saw reports of him at practice (not necessarily practicing). 

I'm sure Jones will step up.

Edited by Aldo

45 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I was trying to find any tidbit of news to confirm if Brown was out or not. Saw reports of him at practice (not necessarily practicing). 

I'm sure Jones will step up.

Brown is out. Our top receiver is also out, as well another who is our top deep threat. A third guy who started at inside receiver is also out. He was a 5 year guy who played for Blakeney back in the day. Starting OT is questionable. We are really banged up, but the good news is our defense didn't lose as many guys as I expected.  A starting safety and a linebacker went out during the ARKST game, but they are not listed as injured. Our fastest receiver Mccormick is %100 after most thought he would be out. Injury situation is bad, but not as bad as I thought. I won't pick a winner of this game because of how banged up we are.  We have guys who can step up, but it will be about what happens when those guys get tired. You guys are a worthy opponent and we will have to play our asses off to beat you guys.

Edited by TroyFootball05
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Brown is out. Our top receiver is also out, as well another who is our top deep threat. A third guy who started at inside receiver is also out. He was a 5 year guy who played for Blakeney back in the day. Starting OT is questionable. We are really banged up, but the good news is our defense didn't lose as many guys as I expected.  A starting safety and a linebacker went out during the ARKST game, but they are not listed as injured. Our fastest receiver Mccormick is %100 after most thought he would be out. Injury situation is bad, but not as bad as I thought. I won't pick a winner of this game because of how banged up we are.  We have guys who can step up, but it will be about what happens when those guys get tired. You guys are a worthy opponent and we will have to play our asses off to beat you guys.

I think this game will be one of the better early bowl games.  Of course I'd love for UNT to come out on top, I think this game will be highly entertaining.  This game comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only, Can UNT OL/RB protect Mason long enough for WR to beat their coverage.  Which is largely dependent on how well we can run the ball, again on the OL/RB to create and find holes.  How well do your safeties fit in the run game? 

41 minutes ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Sucks that your top guys are out. The Mean Green Fan in me is rubbing his hands together but the other side of me wants the best for both teams out there. 

Who are the guys you speak of? 

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Maybe they won’t double team him like CUSA started to do.

If they do, it's how Lawrence & Bussey succeeded, so either way, we should be OK.  Just need to give Fine enough time to find them.  But I wouldn't be surprised to start out in single/zone coverage, as they have confidence in their guys (which they should).

50 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I think this game will be one of the better early bowl games.  Of course I'd love for UNT to come out on top, I think this game will be highly entertaining.  This game comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only, Can UNT OL/RB protect Mason long enough for WR to beat their coverage.  Which is largely dependent on how well we can run the ball, again on the OL/RB to create and find holes.  How well do your safeties fit in the run game? 

All signs point to our inside receivers having opportunities so look for Lawrence, Darden, Smith, and Chumley to have their names called early in order to open up the deep routes.  Hope we can get the running game going, but I think it will be tough early on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

All signs point to our inside receivers having opportunities so look for Lawrence, Darden, Smith, and Chumley to have their names called early in order to open up the deep routes.  Hope we can get the running game going, but I think it will be tough early on.

Yes!  Fine has to find them, though. He’s had so much success with the deep ball, I feel like he views the check down/shorter pass as a defeat.  I really noticed this in the first half against FAU. What do I know, though. GMG!

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'm not sure of the technical details, but statically, it's the Sun Belt's best run defense in ten years. We're 7th nationally against the run. I can tell you I have seen safeties and corners make run stops from time to time. We do a lot of exotic coverages to confuse the quarterback and send in guys to stop the run you wouldn't normally expect. Troy's DC is seasoned P5 DC that really knows what he's doong. I think we're 11th in scoring defense.

I can tell you I have seen safeties and corners make run stops from time to time. We do a lot of exotic coverages to confuse the quarterback and send in guys to stop the run you wouldn't normally expect. Troy's DC is seasoned P5 DC that really knows what he's doong. I think we're 11th in scoring defense.

We've only given up 7 rushing TDs all year compared to North Texas's 32. Not talking smack, just pointing out an advantage Troy might have with your top running back out. Troy's senior RB Jordan Chunn has 47 career TDs and is 6'1, 240. He likely wants to get 50 before his last game as a college football player is over. If you watched Troy's game vs LSU you know he has speed too. Our MO has been to run Chunn a lot and wear the defense out in the 4th where he can really shine. He's a big guy to stop and he's best against undersized lines. I've heard you guys are fast on defense but not particularly large. Chunn could have an advantage. We have a Memphis transfer that's really turned it on at the backup running back position. He set the Alabama all time record for yards and touchdowns in a season and currently leads the Sun Belt in yards per carry (8.25). With so many receivers out I think you might see us run the ball most of the night.

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Sucks that your top guys are out. The Mean Green Fan in me is rubbing his hands together but the other side of me wants the best for both teams out there. 

Who are the guys you speak of? 

Emanual Thompson is our leading receiver. He's out with injury. We've been successful lately heaving the ball downfield to true freshman Trey Eaford. He's out too. Inside receiver / Redshirt Senior Clark Quisenberry who's great in blocking is also out. He played for Larry Blakeney in 2013, possibly in 2012 so he may have played against UNT. NCAA Active career interception leader in Blace Brown is also out with injury. Big break for you guys. OT Kirk Kelley is recovering and getting snaps, but he is not completely healthy. He will play though.

We do get back a deep threat receiver we haven't had much this reason due to injury in Ismail Saleem. Look for him to take Eaford's role, he's the fastest guy on the team and has caught some deep balls in the past. Damion Willis (EMCC's #1 receiver last season) is also coming on a deep threat. We should be fine offensively, especially running the ball, but we won't be 100%. The big that hurts is loosing Blace Brown at CB. We have a Freshman All-American behind him that is an absolute beast, but having both him and Blace Brown would have made it really, really tough on Mason Fine. Not sure who is behind the All-American CB Marcus Jones. The other two corners on the other side are really good, one of them an Auburn transfer.

14 minutes ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Emanual Thompson is our leading receiver. He's out with injury. We've been successful lately heaving the ball downfield to true freshman Trey Eaford. He's out too. Inside receiver / Redshirt Senior Clark Quisenberry who's great in blocking is also out. He played for Larry Blakeney in 2013, possibly in 2012 so he may have played against UNT. NCAA Active career interception leader in Blace Brown is also out with injury. Big break for you guys. OT Kirk Kelley is recovering and getting snaps, but he is not completely healthy. He will play though.

We do get back a deep threat receiver we haven't had much this reason due to injury in Ismail Saleem. Look for him to take Eaford's role, he's the fastest guy on the team and has caught some deep balls in the past. Damion Willis (EMCC's #1 receiver last season) is also coming on a deep threat. We should be fine offensively, especially running the ball, but we won't be 100%. The big that hurts is loosing Blace Brown at CB. We have a Freshman All-American behind him that is an absolute beast, but having both him and Blace Brown would have made it really, really tough on Mason Fine. Not sure who is behind the All-American CB Marcus Jones. The other two corners on the other side are really good, one of them an Auburn transfer.

Why do I feel like you're catfishin us?

If true, that really sucks

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Why do I feel like you're catfishin us?

If true, that really sucks

Wish I were, but it's all here:

http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/troy/brown-quisenberry-among-those-out-for-troy-s-bowl-game/article_7e102b10-e08f-11e7-a21f-838a40c3f53e.html

It's not as bad as it seems offensively. We have plenty of weapons and I think Chunn and Henderson will have a great game. Blace Brown is the one that worries me. Also worried about how these injuries affect the overall mindset of the team. Hopefully we still go into attack mode and not go ultra conservative because of injuries. Brown out could be a confidence boost for Mason Fine as well. We'll see how it shakes out.

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

This game comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only, Can UNT OL/RB protect Mason long enough for WR to beat their coverage. 

That has been the key for every game we have played.  We do that well and we win, we don't and...

I sure wish RB26/3 was back there for this game.  I hope Smith and the other RBs have worked on pass pro.  

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

lol yes. There are 5 lineman that it applies to as well and sometimes an h-back.

I'll be honest, I miss that personnel grouping.  Adding Smith in at H creates some issues for defenses because of his ability to chip then release etc.  gives an extra pass pro guy for the deep shots we want to take.  I get it that isn't air raid but man it causes a lot of issues for the defense to account for. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Wish I were, but it's all here:

http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/troy/brown-quisenberry-among-those-out-for-troy-s-bowl-game/article_7e102b10-e08f-11e7-a21f-838a40c3f53e.html

It's not as bad as it seems offensively. We have plenty of weapons and I think Chunn and Henderson will have a great game. Blace Brown is the one that worries me. Also worried about how these injuries affect the overall mindset of the team. Hopefully we still go into attack mode and not go ultra conservative because of injuries. Brown out could be a confidence boost for Mason Fine as well. We'll see how it shakes out.

When watching yells tape, or I should say your highlights, I thought to myself boy I hope UNT tackles that dude around his knees and ankles.  His thighs are tree trunks, and I don't know that I ever saw 1 guy bring him down.   I sure hope our DL can create some confusion with our movements and stunts.  And the LBs fit correctly.  Should be a fun one! 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

When watching yells tape, or I should say your highlights, I thought to myself boy I hope UNT tackles that dude around his knees and ankles.  His thighs are tree trunks, and I don't know that I ever saw 1 guy bring him down.   I sure hope our DL can create some confusion with our movements and stunts.  And the LBs fit correctly.  Should be a fun one! 

Yeah man he has 47 TDs in his career. At 6'1" 240 he's tough to bring down. He outran the LSU defense for a 75 yard gain to the 1 before we punched it in to go up 17-0, so he's not a slow dude at 240. He's just a hoss. One of my favorite plays was when he trucked a Southern Miss defender for a TD.