Student Travel Package Extended

Cerebus

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I stopped by the ticket office today to pick up my student package. I asked how ticket sales are going. The response was a sad look. I asked if we’re going to sell our allotment and they said not even close. They said “It’s a quick turn around, the same day as graduation, it’s far away, and the opponent isn’t well known.” They said Troy will bring a lot more people than we will. The main thing it seems is the distance hence evidenced by the comment

Worker: “it’s relatively far enough for people to not want to travel”

Me: Oh like compared to the Heart of Dallas bowl?

Worker: Exactly.

Hmm maybe Next time the conference and athletic department will take this into consideration for a division champion to get a more likeabke game closer to home.

still upset all efforts were not made by either ESPN, the bowl itself, Texas Tech, big 12, Conference USA or our own administration to not get us in the HoD Bow against Tech. Most money sense. But what do we know? 

Edited by greeneagle1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Cerebus said:

But UNLV did?  HoD student package sold out incredibly fast, and this is a trip to New Orleans.  What college kid doesn't want to go to New Orleans?

The situation surrounding our bowl with UNLV certainly did. It was a MWC program, at a historic bowl location, and was on New Year's Day. It was a different situation.

For the past few years we on this board and our own athletic department has talked up our program up by selling how we have left the Sun Belt, and moved up to C-USA. Throughout our years in the Sun Belt we spent many days on this board dreaming about what we could do if we were able to land a spot in C-USA. To the best of my recollection, none of those scenarios included returning to the NO Bowl to play a Sun Belt program. I had a real solid feeling that this bowl would be a hard sell to many of our die hard fans, and an even a harder sell to our less dedicated fans and alums. Add in the graduation date and it is almost certain to have an additional effect on attendance.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I stopped by the ticket office today to pick up my student package. I asked how ticket sales are going. The response was a sad look. I asked if we’re going to sell our allotment and they said not even close. They said “It’s a quick turn around, the same day as graduation, it’s far away, and the opponent isn’t well known.” They said Troy will bring a lot more people than we will. The main thing it seems is the distance hence evidenced by the comment

Worker: “it’s relatively far enough for people to not want to travel”

Me: Oh like compared to the Heart of Dallas bowl?

Worker: Exactly.

I love Wren and I know it’s not exactly the schools choice where to go, but they should have made a more conscience decision when considering the fan base and attendance expectations. Far drive and not worth an expensive flight. Had a good group of 8-10 folks lined up if it was Shreveport against a P5, but so it goes. 

Again, I know ESPN and the bowls have the ultimate say in the matter and an awesome game against Troy might mean more but it still sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

The 2001 New Orleans bowl was on Dec 18.  It jumped up a day each year for the next 2 years.  Then the 2004 bowl jumped up 2 more days to Dec 14.  I'm a little surprised by how quick that turnaround was in 2004.  We had a game on Dec 1, then the bowl on Dec 14.  I was able to make it that year but I don't remember the UNT crowd being all that great...at least not as good as the 3 prior years.

I don't remember the graduation schedules from back then, but I'd think that Dec 18 would have been late enough to avoid most problems.  Having said all that, these games aren't meant to accommodate the fanbases.  They are meant to fill time slots for ESPN.  Very few of the bowl games overlap on time slot until we get closer to New Years.  On December 16, NONE of the ESPN games overlap and all are on just the one channel (ESPN).  I'm sure everyone involved understands this, and as such, game attendance is all gravy to the people putting on the game.

Also, not really related, but just looking at the entirety of the bowl schedule this year for the first time in a while got me thinking.  The bowl season this year runs from Dec 16 - Jan 8.  That is a 4 week long bowl season.  One of the most logical playoff scenarios would involve 16 teams, covering 4 weeks.  Many of the opponents use the excuse that a 4 week playoff would extend the season too long and disrupt school schedules.  Guess they aren't familiar enough with what the current schedule looks like to realize that that argument holds no water as the schedule would be identical to what we have today.  I've heard it shifting/pivoting somewhat as these morons realize this to an argument more along the lines of kids having to play too many games in that format---a theory that Jim Harbaugh and, obviously, Mike Leach have recently debunked, as well.

I'm on record saying that there are too many bowls currently.  Having so many that we're starting the bowl season this early in December is one of the main reasons why.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I will keep fingers crossed for a solid Mean Green turnout. Lots of today’s students have their own transportation, folks still purchase on StubHub and through other sources (even Alumni), there will be some Mean Green walk-up sales and lots of folks are waiting to commit for one reason or another. So, fingers crossed the Mean Green will show up in force.

We shall see...we shall see, but whatever crowd size turns up, I know I will have a great time watching the Mean Green topple Troy.

you sir, are a SUPER FAN!!!

• Lovely Take 1