Student Travel Package Extended

Cerebus

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Man thought these would sell out quick. I know they're college students but this is not much more than I paid for Heart of Dallas my senior year.

Have to realize most students are more focused on finals this week.. Signing up and that for the bowl game is at down on the list of things to do..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

But UNLV did?  HoD student package sold out incredibly fast, and this is a trip to New Orleans.  What college kid doesn't want to go to New Orleans?

A lot of students are probably going home right after their last final. Perhaps traveling home is taking precedence over traveling to a bowl game. 

• Lovely Take 1

This all goes back to an administration who wanted a bowl game that was the day of graduations. Yes they are offering one on NOLA, but it is immediately after finals and interferes with students who have already purchased plane or bus tickets to go home.

Local students can go, but they too may have pre-planned graduation parties to attend or just want to spend time with their families because school is tough, man. 

Bigger opponent on a date after Christmas might have had a better draw for upperclassmen who have had their chance to enjoy a week or two off from school by then. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm glad they are offering student packages.  This is a good deal for what it is, I just wish they were offering students and alumni a 2 day option.

I don't know anyone who ever wants to leave New Orleans at 5 p.m. and miss out on a Saturday night on Bourbon street, so you can make it make to Denton at 2 a.m.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

But UNLV did?  HoD student package sold out incredibly fast, and this is a trip to New Orleans.  What college kid doesn't want to go to New Orleans?

Most of our students live in DFW so HoD was convenient AND cheap. You're asking kids to go to new Orleans when most of them aren't old enough to enjoy the bar scene and the trip is only for one night and a direct trip back after the game. Those that are old enough to enjoy what NO has to offer will be graduating or attending their close friend's graduations. Some here tried warning the date and opponent would not attract the crowd most of you think it would attract but that was shot down. I for one can't go. Could have made it to HoD or a local week day bowl easily.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MattMakesLoans said:

I'm glad they are offering student packages.  This is a good deal for what it is, I just wish they were offering students and alumni a 2 day option.

I don't know anyone who ever wants to leave New Orleans at 5 p.m. and miss out on a Saturday night on Bourbon street, so you can make it make to Denton at 2 a.m.

As a guy just about to leave his twenties, this is the first thing that came to mind. Half the pull of a NO bowl trip is the ability to go out and drink with other MG fans in one of the best cities for that kind of thing in the entire world.

• Upvote 1

I stopped by the ticket office today to pick up my student package. I asked how ticket sales are going. The response was a sad look. I asked if we’re going to sell our allotment and they said not even close. They said “It’s a quick turn around, the same day as graduation, it’s far away, and the opponent isn’t well known.” They said Troy will bring a lot more people than we will. The main thing it seems is the distance hence evidenced by the comment

Worker: “it’s relatively far enough for people to not want to travel”

Me: Oh like compared to the Heart of Dallas bowl?

Worker: Exactly.

• Thanks 1

I will keep fingers crossed for a solid Mean Green turnout. Lots of today’s students have their own transportation, folks still purchase on StubHub and through other sources (even Alumni), there will be some Mean Green walk-up sales and lots of folks are waiting to commit for one reason or another. So, fingers crossed the Mean Green will show up in force.

We shall see...we shall see, but whatever crowd size turns up, I know I will have a great time watching the Mean Green topple Troy.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1