Bowl attendance?

GMG24

Where is that huge crowd from Troy going to come from?  They are about 200 miles closer, but if you don't count the on-line and satellite campuses, the Troy Alabama campus is  about 8000 students.  However, the bowl they played in 2016 had announced attendance of 32,000 in Mobile Alabama about 172 miles away from Troy.

I hope Troy brings a huge crowd, but doubt it.  Not sure what difference it makes in the bowl.   In NT's previous NO Bowl games both USM and Memphis brought bigger crowds than NT; but the USM crowd was basically in and out of New Orleans.  Saw very few USM fans before game day.  Colorado State and Cincinnati brought very few fans.    Much like every other non playoff bowl game, there will be a lot less there than announced.  

Of note, this is the first time since 2010 that there is not a Louisiana team playing in the NO Bowl.  

2 hours ago, Sig381 said:

I see total attendance will be 3000 Troy  

8000 Mean Green

going to be a very empty stadium 

We were around ~20k for each of the first four.  I would hope we could at least do that.  If we fall very short of that, don't be surprised if we get left out of bowls in the future if CUSA gets too many eligible in the future.  

One of the biggest mitigating factors is how close the date is to the CUSA championship game. We don't benefit from two week airfare booking or advance notice to rearrange work commitments, etc. Other bowls, or knowing before the championship game, would definitely help out. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

It would cost me $900 just for airfare. 

If someone can't afford to make the game I have no beef with them.   Same thing with those that have family commitments.  I am only upset at the people who have the money and the time, and decide not to go.

That is part of the #olddenton culture that has made sure TCU was the metroplex team who got back into the B12, instead of the enormous public university with a couple hundred thousand alumni in the area.  

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Where is that huge crowd from Troy going to come from?  They are about 200 miles closer, but if you don't count the on-line and satellite campuses, the Troy Alabama campus is  about 8000 students.  However, the bowl they played in 2016 had announced attendance of 32,000 in Mobile Alabama about 172 miles away from Troy.

I hope Troy brings a huge crowd, but doubt it.  Not sure what difference it makes in the bowl.   In NT's previous NO Bowl games both USM and Memphis brought bigger crowds than NT; but the USM crowd was basically in and out of New Orleans.  Saw very few USM fans before game day.  Colorado State and Cincinnati brought very few fans.    Much like every other non playoff bowl game, there will be a lot less there than announced.  

Of note, this is the first time since 2010 that there is not a Louisiana team playing in the NO Bowl.  

To answer your question...you are correct that we only have 7-8k on main campus. However, despite being a smaller school we have really great support from our students, alumni and the community. People around there love Troy football. In boxing terms...Pound for pound we have one of the best attendence stats in college football averaging over 25k this year. I can only imagine what that would look like if we had 30k plus students..🤔

Anywat...I think that if we have 12-15k people there for Troy I would call that a success. Hopefully you guys bring close to the same.  But to think we each bring 20k in order to be considered successful is not realistic.  Nola bowl folks will be very pleased if we cover 30k!

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If someone can't afford to make the game I have no beef with them.   Same thing with those that have family commitments.  I am only upset at the people who have the money and the time, and decide not to go.

That is part of the #olddenton culture that has made sure TCU was the metroplex team who got back into the B12, instead of the enormous public university with a couple hundred thousand alumni in the area.  

I am with you.  I posted that as an example.  I fly in and out of NOLA a couple of times a year when travelling to some of our facilities in coastal Mississippi.  I can usually book this flight for less than $400.  The short turn kills the travel for some.  I will be there in spirit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where is that huge crowd from Troy going to come from?  They are about 200 miles closer, but if you don't count the on-line and satellite campuses, the Troy Alabama campus is 

2 hours ago, Srbtrojan said:

To answer your question...you are correct that we only have 7-8k on main campus. However, despite being a smaller school we have really great support from our students, alumni and the community. People around there love Troy football. In boxing terms...Pound for pound we have one of the best attendence stats in college football averaging over 25k this year. I can only imagine what that would look like if we had 30k plus students..🤔

Anywat...I think that if we have 12-15k people there for Troy I would call that a success. Hopefully you guys bring close to the same.  But to think we each bring 20k in order to be considered successful is not realistic.  Nola bowl folks will be very pleased if we cover 30k!

The more fans from both schools, the better.   

I think we'll have a good showing, but this something we are going to have to get better at.

#NewDenton goes bowling, so we better be ready for December travel.

The AD's office needs to start putting out the hints about the bowls as soon as we get 6 wins.  A lot of us could have got cheap, refundable airfare a month ago.  Every media outlet had us in a DFW bowl or New Mexico, if that's not the case then the AD's office needs to be telling the media otherwise, even if it's unofficial.  

Or just offer a "blind" bowl travel package as soon as we are bowl eligible.  $60 tickets, $150 hotels, done.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

The HS where I teach/Coach gets out at 2PM on Friday.  So me and another coaching buddy are going to do this:  Head out around 10PM friday (8 hour drive for us).  We are going to stop about half way and switch drivers or catch a quick nap.  Then head into NOLA around 8-10AM,  Pregame,  gametime, then hit up NOLA, night in a hostel and then drive back sometime Sunday.  Thats called ballin on a budget boys.

When you gunna have time to get on the board so I can teach you a thing or two about defense.... lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Dang man I’m game. Tried to make it happen this spring but your track coach told me we couldn’t come.  Said too much speed!!’ 

lol y'all got wayyy to much speed. Guess we can meet up on Bourbon street.  Best ball is drawn on bar napkins anyway. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/11/2017 at 7:52 AM, GrandGreen said:

Whew... you underestimate the huge amount of alumni/fans in the Pensacola/Mobile area.  Short drive for all of them.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2017 at 9:38 AM, Cerebus said:

We were around ~20k for each of the first four.  I would hope we could at least do that.  If we fall very short of that, don't be surprised if we get left out of bowls in the future if CUSA gets too many eligible in the future.  

I see this claim about +/- 20k thrown around a lot. I just don't think that is reality. The highest attendance for any of those four games was 27,000 total. Bowls frequently overstate attendance. 2003 was the only year we were even relatively close to averaging 20,000...at Fouts. Not saying the crowds were bad, just that I think the lore has drifted a bit from reality. For what it's worth, I think we commonly overstate our actual butts in seats attendance at the HOD bowls as well. Probably not a popular opinion but just the way I see it. If we get 10,000 actual human beings wearing green in the Superdome I will consider that a big victory. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I see this claim about +/- 20k thrown around a lot. I just don't think that is reality. The highest attendance for any of those four games was 27,000 total. Bowls frequently overstate attendance. 2003 was the only year we were even relatively close to averaging 20,000...at Fouts. Not saying the crowds were bad, just that I think the lore has drifted a bit from reality. For what it's worth, I think we commonly overstate our actual butts in seats attendance at the HOD bowls as well. Probably not a popular opinion but just the way I see it. If we get 10,000 actual human beings wearing green in the Superdome I will consider that a big victory. 

I'm not sure about 20k, but we never had less than 10k down there.  I went in 2001 and 2004.  Thought we had at least 15k the first year, but a little less than that in 2004.  I think they topped those years both in 2002 and 2003 when we had really good teams and opponents.  It was a running joke that we brought more to New Orleans than we did to Fouts.

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I agree. I swear, every year since the 2013 HoD Bowl our attendance has gone up 1K-2K. By 2030 we'll have people on GMG saying we sold out the Cotton Bowl haha..In reality, we probably had a little over 30K in 2013 and maybe 25K last year. 

• Upvote 1