Why no one goes to SMU games

mgfan

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Others have already chimed in supporting my take very effectively.  Find another G5 school with better attendance numbers than TCU did during that stretch (especially a small private university) and then we would have something to debate.  

There's nothing to debate.  Its revisionist history.  The facts are what they are.  We'll agree to disagree.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2014/08/how-tcus-players-see-the-attendance-issue.html

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/the-big-mac-blog/article118889263.html

Edited by LongJim

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Others have already chimed in supporting my take very effectively.  Find another G5 school with better attendance numbers than TCU did during that stretch (especially a small private university) and then we would have something to debate.  

Technically they were Non AQ at the time, but BYU?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 9:34 PM, NTXCoog said:

Technically they were Non AQ at the time, but BYU?

That is a good one.  But the aren’t small by  any stretch of the imagination,  33,000 undergraduates.  They are THE school for the Moron faith like Notre Dame is for Catholics.   The difference in size of the schools reflects the difference in number of people who have those respective  faiths.   They have huge buy in from the state of Utah.  So there attendance is better and should be.

• Downvote 1

On 1/26/2018 at 5:48 PM, LongJim said:

Unrealistic expectations from a blog post is revisionist history.  Let me quote the blog posting you referenced.  “With an enrollment of less than 9,000, TCU football games will forever remain a challenge to fill up Amon G. Carter Stadium's 45,000 seats.”   I don’t know what you expect.  But competing for sports entertainment dollars in the DFW area is hard.  If UNT got the same percentage of local Alumni to buy in as TCU does we would have a nearly pack Apogee.

36 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

They are THE school for the Moron faith like Notre Dame is for Catholics.

I'm going to send the Missionaries to your house with that sort of talk.  They have a book they'd like to tell you about...

Did my graduate work at U of Utah.  Sports in Utah is a weird thing, but BYU and Utah always seemed to pack their respective stadiums.  I wish we had their energy at Apogee.  If you want a good laugh, wait for the pencil whipping of the Jazz by the local Mormon newspaper when they play a Sunday home game.  Only apostates dare show their face at the arena.

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

At least I hear they got rid of that ridiculous private club nonsense. 

Apparently you weren't around Denton in the 70's & 80's.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Unrealistic expectations from a blog post is revisionist history.  Let me quote the blog posting you referenced.  “With an enrollment of less than 9,000, TCU football games will forever remain a challenge to fill up Amon G. Carter Stadium's 45,000 seats.”   I don’t know what you expect.  But competing for sports entertainment dollars in the DFW area is hard.  If UNT got the same percentage of local Alumni to buy in as TCU does we would have a nearly pack Apogee.

Hahahah...ok.  TCU "nearly packs" AC regularly.  That's awesome. 

They've been ranked for the last umpteen years and play in the Big 12, and had 1 sellout in 2017, despite being ranked, and in a town--and single county--of almost 2 million people.  They've been ranked almost every year for the last decade and yet they still "nearly pack" their brand new, even smaller stadium.  They should be SRO at their home games.

Again though--that's awesome.  Kudos to TCU.

• Upvote 1

Who cares what TCU or SMU does unless NT is playing them?  My guess is that if NT were in the B12, they would have comparative or bigger attendance numbers than TCU.   Now if NT were winning comparable to TCU and in the B12; NT would probably post substantially higher attendance numbers than TCU.  

NT is the only state university in the metroplex playing fbs football with none others being close.   The closest non-private fbs football team to Denton is OU. and the closest in Texas is A&M.   That is a huge demographic area and why even the big P5 powers don't want a competitive public university team to compete with in this area.   

On 2/6/2018 at 9:46 AM, LongJim said:

Hahahah...ok.  TCU "nearly packs" AC regularly.  That's awesome. 

They've been ranked for the last umpteen years and play in the Big 12, and had 1 sellout in 2017, despite being ranked, and in a town--and single county--of almost 2 million people.  They've been ranked almost every year for the last decade and yet they still "nearly pack" their brand new, even smaller stadium.  They should be SRO at their home games.

Again though--that's awesome.  Kudos to TCU.

Again 9,000 students in a community with a ton of other things to do and other school loyalties within families.  So if you want to criticize the fandom go right ahead.  I think it’s stupid because with the resources we have at UNT we have no excuse for not seating at least 28,000 every home game.  Not giving any kudos to TCU. 

• Thanks 1