JUCO Visit Josh Saafi

UNTLifer

On 12/9/2017 at 1:09 PM, Caw Caw said:

He was a corner/safety in high school. DNP his senior season because a of serious upper body injury. Was told they want to move him around and find the right fit. 

Are you sure he was a DB?  His size and speed do not lead me to believe that he was a DB.

It looks like he graduated in 2012 and his Juco bio says he was a freshman last year.  With the gap in time from graduation, and the fact that he must still have eligibility, I am thinking it's possiblehe went on a religious mission for a few years.  It would help explain the gap in his timeline.

Looks like as a junior in HS he was the #96 rated OLB in the nation before tearing the UCL in his elbow (possibly during junior season) and missed most of his senior season.  After that, interest dried up. 

From what I have been able to piece together, he should be 24 years old as of October so hopefully he can as productive as Sarge McCoy was who came to UNT after a stint in the military.  He will be older than most of the other players.  Could be a steal with potentially 3 years remaining and certainly at a position of need. 

ETA:  Appears to possibly have a little (younger) brother, Saulala, that is a junior and plays DT at 6-1, 280lbs at Trinity (1st team all district in 5-6A).  I am sure he played the other day at Apogee against Allen.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

He was quick off the ball and good at shedding blocks. Mostly D2 offers, but hopefully he contributes in the DL rotation.

Exactly. Large frame, with raw athleticism. Looks like he can be molded easily, considering he has played all over the defense through his career. One thing about this staff, they have proven to have keen ability to identify and develop players with similar attributes. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Exactly. Large frame, with raw athleticism. Looks like he can be molded easily, considering he has played all over the defense through his career. One thing about this staff, they have proven to have keen ability to identify and develop players with similar attributes. 

I love this trinity pipeline that's has started. Also want to point out the people upset he has 0 fbs offers. Sosaia Mose has 0 fbs offers. And he started ever conference game and was cusa all conference this year I believe 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

It looks like he graduated in 2012 and his Juco bio says he was a freshman last year.  With the gap in time from graduation, and the fact that he must still have eligibility, I am thinking it's possiblehe went on a religious mission for a few years.  It would help explain the gap in his timeline.

Looks like as a junior in HS he was the #96 rated OLB in the nation before tearing the UCL in his elbow (possibly during junior season) and missed most of his senior season.  After that, interest dried up. 

From what I have been able to piece together, he should be 24 years old as of October so hopefully he can as productive as Sarge McCoy was who came to UNT after a stint in the military.  He will be older than most of the other players.  Could be a steal with potentially 3 years remaining and certainly at a position of need. 

ETA:  Appears to possibly have a little (younger) brother, Saulala, that is a junior and plays DT at 6-1, 280lbs at Trinity (1st team all district in 5-6A).  I am sure he played the other day at Apogee against Allen.

He did, and played well.  He was outsized pretty badly as Allen OL looks like an SEC OL and leaned on him all game long.