Complaint Filed Against Student Fee Vote

UNTFan23

It seems like the only activity that applies is the meeting of the SGA to certify the results (student organizations are not supposed to meet).  The actual vote during pre-finals days seems to be OK.  At least that's how I read the policy.  If this vote is considered a student organization meeting or organizational activity then I suppose it could apply to the vote itself.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think that's just saying why they're postponing the hearing until next semester. 

It's just this. Technically the Election Board as an extension of SGA (a student org) cannot hold a formal meeting during pre-finals or finals week.

It's poor planning on the SGA's end, but it only protracts the inevitable.

• Upvote 5

Not having read the formal complaint, and only piecing together based upon the tweet from SGA -- I don't think the complainants have have a strong case.  Being a former SGA President, we had several people certify that we could actually conduct an election.  The policy clearly states three things can't happen:

1.  No new curricular content - that relates to teaching new materials by faculty

2.  Student Organizations do not meet - if there is any case, it would be this one.  Did student orgs meet to discuss the vote?  From my understanding, these policy refers to formal or official meetings of these organizations.  That would be more of an organizational issue, and not an SGA issue.  

3. No extracurricular activities will be required - again, did a or several organizations make it "mandatory" for their people to vote?  That may be the one thing that is left up to interpretation. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

They say full-time student is 12 hours, but most of us here would say that we usually did 15 hours per semester, right?

So four bucks an hour times 15 hours time two semesters is about $120 increase, right?

I'd challenge everyone on this board who supports this fee increase to increase their own annual alumni contributions to athletics by $120.  It ain't that much more. 

No that is not the increase. It bumps their total Fee like 41 bucks unless they take 15 hours then it’s 52 bucks or so per semester.  Looking at adding a whopping 100 bucks to their total.  It’s ridiculous if that vote doesn’t pass they need to never allow a vote again and just put the fee in stone and be done with it.    

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

They say full-time student is 12 hours, but most of us here would say that we usually did 15 hours per semester, right?

So four bucks an hour times 15 hours time two semesters is about $120 increase, right?

I'd challenge everyone on this board who supports this fee increase to increase their own annual alumni contributions to athletics by $120.  It ain't that much more. 

Would be great if that happened.. Wasnt the MGC like at .03 or .3 of Alumni donate

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

No that is not the increase. It bumps their total Fee like 41 bucks unless they take 15 hours then it’s 52 bucks or so per semester.  Looking at adding a whopping 100 bucks to their total.  It’s ridiculous if that vote doesn’t pass they need to never allow a vote again and just put the fee in stone and be done with it.    

UNT students will vote this week on a potential $4.25 per credit hour net increase in student fees

The measure proposes a $6.25 increase in the intercollegiate athletic fee and a $2.00 decrease in the Student Service Fee.

$4.25 X 15 = 63.75 per semester for 15 hours

63.75 X 2 = $127.50 per year 

Now let's go your way and assume everybody is taking 12 hours (hint: they aren't) 

$4.25 X 12 = $51 per semester for 12 hours

$51 X 2 - $102 per year 

The latter figure is what the athletic department is selling.  

Still, only a twenty-seven dollar variance.  

Let's average that out to 13.5 hours per semester, and you get $114.75 a year.  Let's round that to $115. 

I'm happy to increase my annual contributions by $115 because that's chump change. 

Are you? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

The crying babies that think this fee is going to hurt them and make them go into their safe space probably had a hand in this.

Sometimes, I'll be quite frank, I'm ashamed of things that happen at UNT, this is another to add to the list.

Pay your extra 4$ in fees you broke-rear college students, whats a few more bucks on your debt? this wouldn't happen at a "real" school.

Actually it's $4 a credit hours. It's $480 Dollars more for a bachelors degree barring any other increases. It's still worth it, but it isn't four bucks. People who aren't interested int sports protest all sorts of expenditures by athletic departments around the country. I remember having one of these votes when I was in school. I worked three jobs to put myself through UNT. I graduated 2013 so the last increase likely wasn't that long ago.

Frankly, the cost of education has also become way more unbearable over the last decade and a half. And it continues to rise. But that, in itself, is a much bigger debate.

Brett has added some details to his initial article and it sounds like the protest is centered around the Election Board meeting during pre-finals week to certify the results, which is against UNT policies. So, they will meet once school starts back up in (mid) January.

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Brett has added some details to his initial article and it sounds like the protest is centered around the Election Board meeting during pre-finals week to certify the results, which is against UNT policies. So, they will meet once school starts back up in (mid) January.

That was already explained... Thanks.