UTEP Hired Former Houston HC Dana Dimel

Caw Caw

The 2016 Wildcats defeated Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU. With Dimel calling the plays over the last seven seasons, the Wildcats have averaged 33.4 points per game and 6.2 yards per play. They have ranked third nationally in fewest turnovers per game behind LSU and Alabama over the last seven years.....

....Dimel's three seasons at Wyoming (1997-99) produced a record of 22-13, with one eight-win season (1998, 8-3) and two seven-win campaigns (1997, 7-6 and 1999, 7-4). In 1998, Wyoming was 6-2 in the WAC’s Mountain Division (second place). Dimel coached three Academic All-Americans at Wyoming.

I don't know...seems like a solid hire to me. He's a branch from the Snyder coaching tree which is instant credibility in the world of college football. Plus everyone knows just how damn hard it is to win at Wyoming. I'd be excited as crap over this hire if I were a Miner.

Rick

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I like it. Screw UTEP.  I wasted money to fly home to see us play them. Biggest trash fans ever. I hope they fall apart and cancel football for Soccer like many people in EP talk about. It's a waste out there. I say that as an El Pasoan. UTEP is terrible.

Grew up in  El Paso and i agree 100% with you.  El Paso is a city you are glad to be from.

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I like it. Screw UTEP.  I wasted money to fly home to see us play them. Biggest trash fans ever. I hope they fall apart and cancel football for Soccer like many people in EP talk about. It's a waste out there. I say that as an El Pasoan. UTEP is terrible.

Lol as an El Pasoan i would have to agree with you.

I think UTEP is really about where - if I get the old-timers correctly- UNT was 20 years ago: An administration that just does not care for athletics and is not willing to put in the resources. Combine that with a worse location, and it all looks pretty bleak. This season even the Basketball program has come off the rails. That is a pity in the sense that UTEP might have just about the most loyal fan base in C-USA, considering even this seasons horrible team had a decent amount of UTEP fans in the stands at Apogee.

I mean if I look at Dimmels CV, then could this work? I guess it could. But it sure doesn't feel super likely. He has experience and if you forget the Houston thing he has chops in a place like Laramie, which is about as far off as El Paso. But it sure doesn't scream fresh up and comer, feels more like a guy desperately wanting some last shot at being the head man. I think if they didn't want to splash or go fresh, they'd a been better off going straight up triple option. At least that is a scheme made to overcome talent deficits.

Edited by outoftown

On 12/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, Cougar King said:

At least Dodge didn't go 0-11.

He would've gone 0-12 were it not for a miracle interception at the end of the Western Kentucky game in 2008. 

That would be transitional FBS Western Kentucky at the time, whose 2 wins were against FCS Eastern Kentucky and Murray St. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1