SMU considering Littrell among others

Harry

34 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Thier allotment is only 4000.   LaTech is going to outnumber then in a huge way.

I hope we don't get swamped by Troy fans...

How incredibly sad would that be?

EDIT:  To rub it in...
SMU had a better season record-wise (7-5 to LATech's 6-6)
25 miles from Ford to Toyota
275 miles (12X as far) from Aillet to Toyota.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Lovely Take 1

Why would SMU look at a defensive coach?

You don't change the type of coach you hire until you hire one that doesn't work.

AState has hired four straight spread offensive coordinators and when Anderson finally leaves I suspect we will hire a fifth unless he ends up bombing.

USM replaced a young spread attack coaching staff with a bunch of old guys who wanted to play a more traditional game and drove it straight into a wall without hitting the brakes.

ULM fired a burned out former military academy coach and replaced him with another former military academy coach and didn't get different results so they hired an FCS guy who likes to throw the ball.

Never understand changing the formula when you've had success and never understand sticking with the formula when you fail.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How incredibly sad would that be?

EDIT:  To rub it in...
SMU had a better season record-wise (7-5 to LATech's 6-6)
25 miles from Ford to Toyota
275 miles (12X as far) from Aillet to Toyota.

Denton is only 40 miles from SMU, but last time we played them at Apogee, they brought only about 250 people. (Yes, INCLUDING their band)

• Haha 1

Pros for the SMU job:

More recognized brand and they treat athletics very preferentially at the administrative levels

Easier to recruit to than UNT with better athletes

Better Conference

Very Few Fans to deal with.

Still close to Oklahoma family

Cons to SMU Job:

Highland Park/University Park would be a terrible fit for SL

Death Penalty ALWAYS hangs over your head there...ALWAYS

Big Money there can get you fired in a heartbeat

Absolutely no walk-on program because of cost of admittance there

Traffic is horrendous all around that city

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Pros for the SMU job:

More recognized brand and they treat athletics very preferentially at the administrative levels

Easier to recruit to than UNT with better athletes

Better Conference

Very Few Fans to deal with.

Still close to Oklahoma family

Cons to SMU Job:

Highland Park/University Park would be a terrible fit for SL

Death Penalty ALWAYS hangs over your head there...ALWAYS

Big Money there can get you fired in a heartbeat

Absolutely no walk-on program because of cost of admittance there

Traffic is horrendous all around that city

DMN wrote an article saying Morris left because the administration did not want to build him an indoor practice facility and he had asked for that since he arrived. Guess who is getting one in #NewDenton? 

Also, you want fans. Fans make recruiting easier. Not saying our fans vs SMUs fans will determine if a player goes to UNT over SMU, but it could determine them going to Houston over SMU. UNT has that in the bag right now vs Rice, UTEP, and to some extent, UTSA. 

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Lol Seth Littrell is not going to SMU... I would put my life savings (like $32 so far) on it! 

Outside of the obvious OU and OkState, where else would he consider leaving for? TCU or Tulsa maybe?

Edited by Cr1028

4 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Hmmm making 1 million at UNT to making 2 million at SMU with quick ability to maybe make 4 million. Ya SL would be a dumbass if he left right?

Pretty sure his new contract (he signed last year) he's making 1.5 or close to it. 

• Upvote 2

Money plays a big part.   But I also think the following:

a. Litrell while being considered, he wouldn’t be SMU’s first pick, maybe not even 3rd or 4th. He not part of their “culture”

b. I’d like to think that Litrell, being a smart guy, and has his eye on something bigger.  If I were him, I wouldn’t go to SMU, when the likelihood of TTech job will be likely be open soon, possibly by mid season next year.  On the record, KK was given another year.  I’m guessing Off the record, KK was told he better win a certain number of games by mid season, etc.  He starts losing, he’ll be gone, SL phone will ring.  I’m gonna hate it when he leaves, but can’t stop a guy for taking care of his family   

C. Personal feelings aside, while money can change minds, I think Litrell would recognize that going to SMU could some have negetive blowback.  He has goals here, he sees things through. To bail on his team and staff (And believe me, I’m not saying it DOESNT happen.) for a program that isn’t a big step.  Right off the bat, can SMU immediately pay SL more money? Sure, likely so. But will it be enough for him to go to rival school, only 40 miles away, with terrible attendance? I say No.  Again, I think he’s gonna get a bigger better opportunity mid-late next season.  

d.  Do we absolutely know, 100% for sure that NOBODY called SL about consideration/interviewing?  He very well have turned down some considerations, maybe a little bigger or smaller.  He might the kind of guy that puts those things away and won’t talk about it.   When North Texas considered head coach possibilities in the past, they have had candidates that we never had any idea were contacted until several months afterwards. Some were interviewed, some just weren’t interested, but it wasn’t revealed to anyone til much later.  

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

I don't know what SMU would pay Littrel but if they are doubling his salary he certainly would be gone.  He would be crazy not to.   Like it or not, its perceived as a step up (American), and the prior coach just got hired to the SEC.

In summary, way more money to go to a coaching job that has been proven as a possible channel to P5 football and SEC. Pretty sure he would say yes to that.

My God man, it's SMU we're talking about here.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I would need to see a much better defense and better recruiting from SL before I would ever consider him. We were fortunate being in CUSA West this year. 

Don't disagree, but you could say the same about Morris' defense.  They never cracked the top 100 while he was there, yet the pigs decided they had to have him.  

If Littrell wants to eventually coach at the P5 level, then he leaves if SMU offers.  He won't make the jump from UNT to P5 anytime soon.  SMU is the next step to get to P5.  If he has good results there, that will be 2 schools on his resume and he will be next in line when a decent P5 opens up.  Sorry fellas, if SMU offers, I think he is gone.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

5 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

If Littrell wants to eventually coach at the P5 level, then he leaves if SMU offers.  He won't make the jump from UNT to P5 anytime soon.  SMU is the next step to get to P5.  If he has good results there, that will be 2 schools on his resume and he will be next in line when a decent P5 opens up.  Sorry fellas, if SMU offers, I think he is gone.  

Man, if this happens, Ben Gooding would have to go on suicide alert...

The entertainment value of the meltdown we would see on gmg.com would be unbelievable—but it’s probably not even a scenario where SL gets an interview, but instead gets another raise here. That seems to be how college coaching works these days.

I did a little poking around on Poyfans to see what they think of Littrell to SMU. He's at 8% in a poll. - tied with Mack Brown. None of the comments I read mentioned him, although several sugggested Graham as their new OC. 

I don't think LIttrell is going to take the SMU job because he won't be offered it! I think he knows if he stays and has an 8 or 9 win season next year a P5 job will come calling for him.

• Upvote 1