SMU considering Littrell among others

Harry

37 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

SMU isn't a step down. You can argue its lateral, but it isn't a step down.

But I agree that Tech is a very real probability for Littrell if next year goes well for him and Coach Bro gets less than 7 wins again. I wouldn't count out Kansas, either. He could go to a place that needs a complete rebuild and be given ample time to do so, while still being close to his Oklahoma family. And their current style of play fits in very well with SL's playbook. IOW, he wouldn't have to teach an entire squad a new offensive system like he had to do when he got here.

Kansas gave their coach an extension. I believe through 2022? Tech would make great sense for Seth.

Edited by Wag Tag

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Where he talks about everyone calling him crazy for going to SMU bc they're traditionally one of the worst schools in college football.  Yes that part.  

You act like that is some kind of breaking news that Morris would get a shot before Seth.  Seth had a few options to go P5 this year but isn't leaving unless its the right situation.  He may stay here a few more years and wait for that opportunity. 

Greatness.  Why go to SMU, they are one of the worst programs in college football?  Hard to argue with him on that one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SMU is a lateral move IMO.  No I'm not a NT blowhard but outside of the DFW & older hardcore SWC fans, SMU doesn't move the needle at all.  They're lucky their BBall program is doing great but other than that SMU isn't viewed as something great. All SMU has been able to do since the death penalty is still latch on to their old SWC affiliation and the fact that they have money and lots of it and some donors willing to do whatever it takes to get back to what they view as prominent.  

I think Morris kinda had a leg up even before coming to SMU...he came from a big time CFB program in Clemson, has been credited recruiting and developing Deshaun Watson and helping develop the what is now the Clemson juggernaut.  SL on the other hand came from UNC but was/is nothing near what Clemson is.  So I think even before coming to SMU & NT respectively I think Morris still had more of a leg up hype & viewpoint wise than SL IMO.

If SL wants to leave then let him....my view of him wouldn't change one iota because such is life...people change jobs every day so they can get paid more, better opportunity etc and SL wouldn't be any different.  As I previously said I'm more concerned about what WB has planned and prepared if that situation occurs than with SL leaving.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

SMU is a lateral move IMO.  No I'm not a NT blowhard but outside of the DFW & older hardcore SWC fans, SMU doesn't move the needle at all.  They're lucky their BBall program is doing great but other than that SMU isn't viewed as something great. All SMU has been able to do since the death penalty is still latch on to their old SWC affiliation and the fact that they have money and lots of it and some donors willing to do whatever it takes to get back to what they view as prominent.  

I think Morris kinda had a leg up even before coming to SMU...he came from a big time CFB program in Clemson, has been credited recruiting and developing Deshaun Watson and helping develop the what is now the Clemson juggernaut.  SL on the other hand came from UNC but was/is nothing near what Clemson is.  So I think even before coming to SMU & NT respectively I think Morris still had more of a leg up hype & viewpoint wise than SL IMO.

If SL wants to leave then let him....my view of him wouldn't change one iota because such is life...people change jobs every day so they can get paid more, better opportunity etc and SL wouldn't be any different.  As I previously said I'm more concerned about what WB has planned and prepared if that situation occurs than with SL leaving.

I agree that it is lateral. SMUg has money and a better conference, but UNT has way more potential as a program, and way more fan support (even though still lacking). 

If he keeps winning, the money will follow here at UNT.

• Upvote 1

Agree with it being a lateral move, and while it works in the short-term financially, it potentially limits his earnings as soon as 2019. If he wins 8-11 games next year, I think he'll get that P5 opportunity. Hell, he was already mentioned in a number of better openings than SMU's this season. He's in a position now where he can afford to wait it out for the right job, and that's not SMU.

There's a few G5s out there that I think could be considered steps up, if only because they could be LONGER TERM gigs that also pay more money and have more prestige, but I just don't view SMU as that. Imagine winning 25-30 games over 4 years there in front of crowds of dozens. Generally, there's not a big reason to go from G5 to G5. Plenty of coaches go to P5s from the Sun Belt on up, especially if they've been coordinators at P5s before. Seth's name is out there, which is why we have 42,000 threads about it being linked to every single potential open job.

We have a long way to go with our own support, and realistically, there's no championship opportunities at G5s, so no coach is going to stay here forever if they win. But we've also come a long way, IMO. SL was very complimentary of our crowds this year, which is something I've never heard before, and haven't witnessed since some of the enthusiasm of our early 2000s teams. So no, he's not going to be here forever, but I'd be very surprised if he left for a risky, short-term opportunity like SMU.

1 hour ago, Green Mean said:

If SMU is a “lateral move,” why is Morris coaching at Arkansas while Littrell didn’t get a sniff of that job? 

SMU is a higher profile file program in a better, higher profile file conference. 

If you were Littrell, would you rather coach the players Morris recruited the last 2 years or the players that Littrell recruited the last 2 years?

For a million dollars plus more a year. 

No brainer. If Littrell gets the offer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

1 hour ago, pastorgrant said:

I agree that it is lateral. SMUg has money and a better conference, but UNT has way more potential as a program, and way more fan support (even though still lacking). 

If he keeps winning, the money will follow here at UNT.

Potential? Heard that in 2008. Heard that in 2011. Words are easy. Work isn’t. 

Potential means you haven’t done squat. So... we agree? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:
  • Morris just finished his third season at SMU, Littrell his second at UNT.

• Morris has been coaching ten years longer than Littrell.

• Morris has OC of the powerhouse Clemson on his resume (where they finished ranked every year he was there), Littrell does not.

Just off the top of my head...it's not apples to apples.

Also, according Google Maps, SMU is 329 miles from Fayetteville, UNT is 331 miles, so they are saving on relo costs.  

I predict SL will be in New Orleans, so we can worry about everything else later.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I can assure you he's not.

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Where he talks about everyone calling him crazy for going to SMU bc they're traditionally one of the worst schools in college football.  Yes that part.  

You act like that is some kind of breaking news that Morris would get a shot before Seth.  Seth had a few options to go P5 this year but isn't leaving unless its the right situation.  He may stay here a few more years and wait for that opportunity. 

... as in, Seth Littrell, the Head Coach at the University of North Texas, was offered "a few" P5 jobs...  THIS YEAR?     Sorry dude.  Color me entirely skeptical.

Or do you mean maybe he was approached for interviews at "a few" P5's, but he wasn't hired?    That scenario... maybe I'll buy.   But I just don't believe SL has the "options" (meaning he gets to choose whether or not to take the opportunity) and turned them down.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... as in, Seth Littrell, the Head Coach at the University of North Texas, was offered "a few" P5 jobs...  THIS YEAR?   

I don't know about "a few". All I know is he for damn sure isn't going to SMU

Edit: Ask me no questions, and I will tell you no lies

Edited by MGNation92
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... as in, Seth Littrell, the Head Coach at the University of North Texas, was offered "a few" P5 jobs...  THIS YEAR?     Sorry dude.  Color me entirely skeptical.

Or do you mean maybe he was approached for interviews at "a few" P5's, but he wasn't hired?    That scenario... maybe I'll buy.   But I just don't believe SL has the "options" (meaning he gets to choose whether or not to take the opportunity) and turned them down.

i think he is trying to say that Litrell was asked to interview or if he had interest in interviewing and declined.  

2 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

i think he is trying to say that Litrell was asked to interview or if he had interest in interviewing and declined.  

Are you confusing SMU with the quoted "Seth had a few options to go P5 this year but isn't..."?   As in, he declined "a few" opportunities to go to a P5 school?   Because even if he did decline to even be interviewed by SMU (again doubtful), SMU is not a P5.   So in essence, we're being led to believe SL not only turned down an interview at SMU, but several others at P5 schools as well?

It was a bold statement, for sure.  He later doubled-down with the ol' "do the research" citation.   I'm just trying to clarify what he meant.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are you confusing SMU with the quoted "Seth had a few options to go P5 this year but isn't..."?   As in, he declined "a few" opportunities to go to a P5 school?   Because even if he did decline to even be interviewed by SMU (again doubtful), SMU is not a P5.   So in essence, we're being led to believe SL not only turned down an interview at SMU, but several others at P5 schools as well?

It was a bold statement, for sure.  He later doubled-down with the ol' "do the research" citation.   I'm just trying to clarify what he meant.

I'm not confusing anything...I don't believe for one second that he had any legitimate interviews or interview requests, much less actual offers.   

All i was saying is I believe he his stating that Litrell turned down some P5 overtures in some aspect.

20 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

DMN wrote an article saying Morris left because the administration did not want to build him an indoor practice facility and he had asked for that since he arrived. Guess who is getting one in #NewDenton? 

Also, you want fans. Fans make recruiting easier. Not saying our fans vs SMUs fans will determine if a player goes to UNT over SMU, but it could determine them going to Houston over SMU. UNT has that in the bag right now vs Rice, UTEP, and to some extent, UTSA. 

What makes you say that?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Well, Mofos, so far I’ve been directly on point.

Meh I mean you only got one thing right so far on your list. And even then, everyone knew it'd happen eventually.

Morris has been a hot name for a while, even how average SMU has been in its own conference during his own tenure (14-22 overall).

And Arkansas hiring Morris is direct proof that it's just his marketability. He ain't done squat at SMU and much to the shegrin of my Razorback fam, he won't do squat at Arkansas. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If SMU is a “lateral move,” why is Morris coaching at Arkansas while Littrell didn’t get a sniff of that job? 

SMU is a higher profile file program in a better, higher profile file conference. 

Chad Morris's performance at SMU had very little to do with why he got the Arkansas job.  What he built at Clemson is the primary reason he got the job.  SMU mostly got him head coaching experience to seal the deal.