Why you should vote yes to raising the student athletic fee

Brady Keane

46 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If you're gonna go that route, why should schools even sponsor teams? The costs are huge and it has to get paid for by dollars that can be used on research and education. But the citizens love sports and love teams sponsored by their districts, colleges, and cities. Its always been this way and always will be this way until the cost doesn't justify the revenue and interest it generates.

Its why teachers are amongst the lowest paid people and athletes/coaches/entertainer are the most paid. Nobody wants to go watch chemistry being taught but they want to watch games and concerts. Its the escape from the mundane. And it costs money. In college athletics, a lot of the burden falls on the students thru tuition. Its not like it isn't known. Hell, at UNT we pay half of what stalwarts like Texas State and UTSA pay for an athletics fee--and their students didn't get a say in that. Ours shouldn't either.

Actually both UTSA & TS students voted to pay the highest allowable fee.  I am still mystified why the athletic fees at NT were not allowed to follow the same plan and were directly tied to construction. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

we as tax payers vote "yes" to raise taxes all the time to pay for schools. city improvements, stadiums, etc.... 

If you think spending $40-60m for high school stadiums an efficient use of tax payers dollars, then vote for it. But increasing tuition isn't in the best interest of the students long term financial health.

Increasing taxes is easy, but the best increase efficiency by using what they have and find new ways to bring in revenue without putting that burden on someone else. 

• Downvote 4

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

If you're gonna go that route, why should schools even sponsor teams? The costs are huge and it has to get paid for by dollars that can be used on research and education. But the citizens love sports and love teams sponsored by their districts, colleges, and cities. Its always been this way and always will be this way until the cost doesn't justify the revenue and interest it generates.

Its why teachers are amongst the lowest paid people and athletes/coaches/entertainer are the most paid. Nobody wants to go watch chemistry being taught but they want to watch games and concerts. Its the escape from the mundane. And it costs money. In college athletics, a lot of the burden falls on the students thru tuition. Its not like it isn't known. Hell, at UNT we pay half of what stalwarts like Texas State and UTSA pay for an athletics fee--and their students didn't get a say in that. Ours shouldn't either.

No, you're completely off topic. 

• Downvote 2

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually both UTSA & TS students voted to pay the highest allowable fee.  I am still mystified why the athletic fees at NT were not allowed to follow the same plan and were directly tied to construction. 

That's a good question for our previous POS Chancellor and fired AD. 

**to clarify the POS is only for the Chancellor

Edited by untbowler

20 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

So would everyone here vote "Yes" for increasing federal taxes, property taxes or creating a state tax? Students shouldnt pay more for athletics. I think everyone can agree that tuition is way too much and putting more debt on college students isnt the best solution for the students long term success.  Just like no one wants to increase their taxes. $51 a semester sounds cheap now but lets add some interest over 10-20 years to that since most college students take out loans to pay for school.

- If you think spending $40-60m for high school stadiums an efficient use of tax payers dollars, then vote for it. But increasing tuition isn't in the best interest of the students long term financial health.

You didn't ask me what i though about spending tax dollars on high priced stadiums or if I thought it was an efficient use of tax dollars.  You asked the question "Would everyone here vote "YES" for increasing taxes?"

As I pointed out, taxpayers "like most here on the board" do vote "YES" to raise taxes all the time.

Now to your off base argument.  Do i think spending $40-60m on high school football stadiums is an efficient use of tax dollars?, NO i do not.  But do i think agreeing to raise tax dollars to build new or upgrade schools and athletic programs in said school is an efficient use of tax dollars?  Yes i do.  Have you lived in a community with a good sports program at the local high school?  It brings communities together, and gives the residents a since of pride.  

Like it or not, In todays world, SPORTS... it is the Tide that raises all boats.  Asking students to increase their portion of spending to raise those boats will be beneficial to them for years to come.  Like it or not, generally speaking, a schools academic programs and degree worth is predicated on the success on the athletic fields.  In return, successful athletic programs bring in more money and prestige to said academic programs, thus raising those levels, and what you end up having is a successful circle of life within the University.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

- If you think spending $40-60m for high school stadiums an efficient use of tax payers dollars, then vote for it. But increasing tuition isn't in the best interest of the students long term financial health.

You didn't ask me what i though about spending tax dollars on high priced stadiums or if I thought it was an efficient use of tax dollars.  You asked the question "Would everyone here vote "YES" for increasing taxes?"

As I pointed out, taxpayers "like most here on the board" do vote "YES" to raise taxes all the time.

Now to your off base argument.  Do i think spending $40-60m on high school football stadiums is an efficient use of tax dollars?, NO i do not.  But do i think agreeing to raise tax dollars to build new or upgrade schools and athletic programs in said school is an efficient use of tax dollars?  Yes i do.  Have you lived in a community with a good sports program at the local high school?  It brings communities together, and gives the residents a since of pride.  

Like it or not, In todays world, SPORTS... it is the Tide that raises all boats.  Asking students to increase their portion of spending to raise those boats will be beneficial to them for years to come.  Like it or not, generally speaking, a schools academic programs and degree worth is predicated on the success on the athletic fields.  In return, successful athletic programs bring in more money and prestige to said academic programs, thus raising those levels, and what you end up having is a successful circle of life within the University.  

Really good post.  It's especially true in Texas.

9 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

If this fee does not pass, you can bet your bottom dollar Seth, Wren, and Neil are all gone at first opportunity.  

Fee doesn't need to pass/fail for that to happen, impo.  Maybe not Neil...

Also, I thought the way the fee was legally written was that the BOR could raise the fee by <10% every year or two until it reached a maximum of $20/CH without having to ask the students.  Am I mistaken?  If not, I really think this vote a risky move that could backfire.

Edited by TIgreen01

8 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Fee doesn't need to pass/fail for that to happen, impo.  Maybe not Neil...

Also, I thought the way the fee was legally written was that the BOR could raise the fee by <10% every year or two until it reached a maximum of $20/CH without having to ask the students.  Am I mistaken?  If not, I really think this vote a risky move that could backfire.

I do, because I think they all realize how close UNT is to really getting themselves on the map.  I think if you see movement from Wren it is taking Seth with him.  Seth moving means one of a few schools has come calling.  But, what do I know, just some off the wall guesses by me.

41 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

If this fee does not pass, you can bet your bottom dollar Seth, Wren, and Neil are all gone at first opportunity.  

Who could blame SL and WB if they see the student body reject the idea of increasing a fee that is still well under what UTSA and Texas State charge their students, even after it passed?

It would basically confirm to anyone with a brain that the UNT Culture still loathes athletics here. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Who could blame SL and WB if they see the student body reject the idea of increasing a fee that is still well under what UTSA and Texas State charge their students, even after it passed?

It would basically confirm to anyone with a brain that the UNT Culture still loathes athletics here. 

You are the most negative person I've met.  I havent been on this board in months and maybe even and year and you still have nothing else better to do than complain on a message board...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm tired of hearing what UTSA & TXSt are charging their students and how we should emulate them.  They're small time schools.    They have so few boosters & lack creativity in order to raise the money without those fees.  We cannot bump down to that level in order to fund our athletics.

I cannot fathom charging college students $20/hr for 4 or 5 years (quick math = $2600+!!!!!) like those small-time schools do...  that's called robbery.    Find other ways to make that money, and stay in the ballpark of whatever HOUSTON (the not-small-time school among the public G5's in Texas) is charging.    ... What is Houston charging?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm tired of hearing what UTSA & TXSt are charging their students and how we should emulate them.  They're small time schools.    They have so few boosters & lack creativity in order to raise the money without those fees.  We cannot bump down to that level in order to fund our athletics.

I cannot fathom charging college students $20/hr for 4 or 5 years (quick math = $2600+!!!!!) like those small-time schools do...  that's called robbery.    Find other ways to make that money, and stay in the ballpark of whatever HOUSTON (the not-small-time school among the public G5's in Texas) is charging.    ... What is Houston charging?

At the time of this article: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/18/texas-universities-are-hiking-student-fees-support/

UH students were paying $16.67/hr while UNT students were paying $11/hr.  With the requested increase I believe we would still be lower than UH.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Mandatory Fees

Extended Access Fee $273/sem Provides enhanced services to students enrolled only in online courses/or those offered off campus.
Recreation and Wellness Center Fee $101/sem The Recreation & Wellness Center Fee supports the maintenance and operation of the center.
Student Services Fee $255/sem The Student Service Fee supports various campus activities and organizations dedicated to student life and its enhancement.
UC Fee $135/sem The University Center Fee supports the maintenance and operation of the University Center.

Miscellaneous Fees

Cooperative Education fee $215
Lab fees $2-30
Late Registration fee $20
Library Recall/Reserve Fine $3/day
New Student Conference $60/1-day
$120/2-day
Reciprocal Ed. Exchange Fee $75/sem
Special Prog Study Abroad Fee $100-$6,000/participant
Visiting Int'l Studies Prog Fee $150/program

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

At the time of this article: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/18/texas-universities-are-hiking-student-fees-support/

UH students were paying $16.67/hr while UNT students were paying $11/hr.  With the requested increase I believe we would still be lower than UH.

Great!    Let it pass then.     But for those just screaming that we need to crank that fee up to $20+/hr because it would be a quick fix and because UTSA/TXSt does it, that's small-time, short-sighted greed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Seuss said:

You are the most negative person I've met.  I havent been on this board in months and maybe even and year and you still have nothing else better to do than complain on a message board...

Come on UNTJim is speaking the truth if students reject the fee. 

Besides me and that UNT90 take the cake for negative nellies on this board. 

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 2