Why you should vote yes to raising the student athletic fee

Brady Keane

This will tell us a lot about the views of the student body toward UNT Athletics. If this passes, this will confirm that a sea change is occurring in the view of athletics here. We should be paying more for athletics when UTSA and Texas State charge double what we do. I swear that both schools just implemented those fees, that there were never voted on, but I could be wrong about that. 

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This will tell us a lot about the views of the student body toward UNT Athletics. If this passes, this will confirm that a sea change is occurring in the view of athletics here. We should be paying more for athletics when UTSA and Texas State charge double what we do. I swear that both schools just implemented those fees, that there were never voted on, but I could be wrong about that. 

There was a similar vote in order to get Apogee built.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Yes, it was the stealth vote that UNTFlyer got passed. After it passed, with less than 2% of the UNT student body voting, the NT Daily and UNT Facebook Page got inundated with students complaining about the lack of coverage on this election. 

Maybe this will turn out differently. I sure hope it will. But I think its a mistake to have the students vote on a fee. That's what adminisntrators are supposed to impose for the betterment of the university's needs. And I have my doubts that this gets passed tomorrow, but again, I hope I'm wrong on this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes, it was the stealth vote that UNTFlyer got passed. After it passed, with less than 2% of the UNT student body voting, the NT Daily and UNT Facebook Page got inundated with students complaining about the lack of coverage on this election. 

Maybe this will turn out differently. I sure hope it will. But I think its a mistake to have the students vote on a fee. That's what adminisntrators are supposed to impose for the betterment of the university's needs. And I have my doubts that this gets passed tomorrow, but again, I hope I'm wrong on this.

I was a student at the time and it definitely wasn't a "stealth" vote. It was widely promoted and talked about. But like with most elections no one cared to show up to vote. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I have to agree that I wish the university would just go ahead and raise the fees on it’s own. I hope this passes and I’ve already voted yes, I just feel like if left to the students the increase won’t pass. I hope I’m wrong 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Well, I have to agree that I wish the university would just go ahead and raise the fees on it’s own. I hope this passes and I’ve already voted yes, I just feel like if left to the students the increase won’t pass. I hope I’m wrong 

Pretty sure they still have the ability to raise the fee 10% per year without a vote.  It will slow things down if they have to go that direction, but won't prevent the eventual increase in the fee.

• Thanks 1

The way I understand this is approving the vote opens up more money in the SSF (Student Service Fees) bucket for other areas that was previously going to athletics and then that amount plus some extra is being added to the dedicated athletics fee. If the students turn it down they are preventing more funding from going to other groups that pull from the SSF fund.

• Downvote 1

btw...... Wren is getting kicked around on FB and could use the some more persuasive posters to back him up.

even getting railed by some conspiracy theorist self-investigator who thinks we should be playing Texas Tech in the HOD Bowl and that we dismissed the idea of playing at home against them.  Oh and writing in all caps just further signifies your mental illness btw.

14 hours ago, All About UNT said:

btw...... Wren is getting kicked around on FB and could use the some more persuasive posters to back him up.

even getting railed by some conspiracy theorist self-investigator who thinks we should be playing Texas Tech in the HOD Bowl and that we dismissed the idea of playing at home against them.  Oh and writing in all caps just further signifies your mental illness btw.

I know who you are talking about and no amount of trying to correct that guy will help.

• Downvote 1

They critical key to getting the Stadium Vote passed back in the day was the insertion of a clause stating the fee increase wouldn't go into effect for 2 years after the end of that semester.   
Sneaky way to get upperclassmen support as it won't affect them financially, but they get the benefits as alumni.
Is that same kind of clause in this vote?   If not, look out for "no" to win this one, as every student's pockets are affected... not just the FR/SO's.

4 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Lots of butt hurt in this article...imagine that, someone who hates athletics and loves fine arts won’t vote for this. How did the NT Daily ever find this person?? Oh wait...

• Downvote 2

15 hours ago, All About UNT said:

@Ben Gooding is on the case.

Whip em into shape.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I was one of the ones that voted against it. My youth at UNT was spent going to shows, pounding drinks on fry st, and drinking coffee at Kharma - Personally, I wanted to see the funds go elsewhere. For example the fine arts and music programs. However, the logic there is silly... Those programs do not have the same needs as a world class athletics program. We had/have a great school and better athletics make it greater. No, Athletics is not like other programs, clubs, or groups at UNT. Most clubs and groups do not have the needs and require so much to stay a float or grow.

These kids work hard and have for many years, in most cases. They deserve to have the support of the fellow students to help them achieve the goals of the university. We are North Texas... and We are a better North Texas when our sports teams are in the forefront of our peers. It is hard to see past the haze when you are young. I, as a young guy who loved the arts could not see past it myself. Hopefully, these young people are smarter than I was.

• Lovely Take 1

So would everyone here vote "Yes" for increasing federal taxes, property taxes or creating a state tax? Students shouldnt pay more for athletics. I think everyone can agree that tuition is way too much and putting more debt on college students isnt the best solution for the students long term success.  Just like no one wants to increase their taxes. $51 a semester sounds cheap now but lets add some interest over 10-20 years to that since most college students take out loans to pay for school.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Seuss said:

So would everyone here vote "Yes" for increasing federal taxes, property taxes or creating a state tax? Students shouldnt pay more for athletics. I think everyone can agree that tuition is way too much and putting more debt on college students isnt the best solution for the students long term success.  Just like no one wants to increase their taxes. $51 a semester sounds cheap now but lets add some interest over 10-20 years to that since most college students take out loans to pay for school.

we as tax payers vote "yes" to raise taxes all the time to pay for schools. city improvements, stadiums, etc.... 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

If you're gonna go that route, why should schools even sponsor teams? The costs are huge and it has to get paid for by dollars that can be used on research and education. But the citizens love sports and love teams sponsored by their districts, colleges, and cities. Its always been this way and always will be this way until the cost doesn't justify the revenue and interest it generates.

Its why teachers are amongst the lowest paid people and athletes/coaches/entertainer are the most paid. Nobody wants to go watch chemistry being taught but they want to watch games and concerts. Its the escape from the mundane. And it costs money. In college athletics, a lot of the burden falls on the students thru tuition. Its not like it isn't known. Hell, at UNT we pay half of what stalwarts like Texas State and UTSA pay for an athletics fee--and their students didn't get a say in that. Ours shouldn't either.

• Downvote 1