“Winnable Game”

MeanGreenTexan

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thought about posting this in a different thread, but I cannot stress enough that Troy, the hungry SBC Champ is no more “winnable” than FSU in the Indy Bowl, or any other game that was being bantered about on here.

Yet that appears to be a pervading thought around here, the DRC, & in the AD.

That thought needs to die, like yesterday, because it’s simply not true.

False.  Look at any team rating.  Sagarin says we will be a 3 TD underdog to FSU.  We will be less than a TD underdog to Troy.

I think winnable is being confused with guaranteed win.  Troy is not a guaranteed win, but is winnable.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

False.  Look at any team rating.  Sagarin says we will be a 3 TD underdog to FSU.  We will be less than a TD underdog to Troy.

I think winnable is being confused with guaranteed win.  Troy is not a guaranteed win, but is winnable.

Hasn’t Sagarin been crapped-on all year because his weekly rankings put an obscenely-high emphasis on his preseason rankings?  FSU started the year #2.  Once they lost Francois, they crashed to Earth.  Not to mention, their HC just flat-out abandoned them.   I would not be surprised if SoMiss squeaks by a lifeless FSU in that game.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thought about posting this in a different thread, but I cannot stress enough that Troy, the hungry SBC Champ is no more “winnable” than FSU in the Indy Bowl, or any other game that was being bantered about on here.

Yet that appears to be a pervading thought around here, the DRC, & in the AD.

That thought needs to die, like yesterday, because it’s simply not true.

Agree 100%.

Troy is near the bottom of teams to be pitted against because beating them will not get much recognition since they are from the  Sunbelt.  They are bad news  at 10-2 with a win at LSU.  I would much rather play a struggling P5  team.

• Upvote 1

Troy always seems to put a quality product on the field.  We've struggled against them over the years and this game will be no different.  We wanted a strong/quality opponent and we got one.  We better bring our A game or we'll finish our season in disappointing fashion.

• Haha 1

I don't get why we seem to be so scared of them.  I think they are a comparable team that represent a real opportunity at a competitive, winnable game.  So many on here were pining for best available matchup, well Troy seems to fit the bill from the options available.  Sure they could beat us, but I think we have a lot better chance of beating them than FSU.  It's almost as if we are scared we might get beat so we would rather play a team that it would be more acceptable to get beaten by.

Only one way to the top and that is through real victories, not moral victories.  Nut up.  Let's kick some Trojan tail. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, SlimSlamSlum said:

Agreed. I was pulling for Arkansas State last night for that very reason. Troy is a good team. our guys can beat them, but only if they are totally prepared. If they don't look at troy as a worthy opponent it will be *ANOTHER* nationally televised disaster.

I'll be there. Go mean Green! 

ftfy.    We couldn't afford to sleep on ANY team this season, even lowly UTEP or Rice.  We can't afford to sleep on Troy either.  I just wish we were playing a more established program to have a better idea where our team actually stands in terms of national prestige.   

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

ftfy.    We couldn't afford to sleep on ANY team this season, even lowly UTEP or Rice.  We can't afford to sleep on Troy either.  I just wish we were playing a more established program to have a better idea where our team actually stands in terms of national prestige.   

Until UNT has a home sellout or is ranked in the top 25 we have 0 national prestige. The only thing I can remeber being in the national spotlight for us is the biggest L to an FCS team and a floor busting party.