DRC Sunday column: New Orleans a home run site, even if matchup isn't

Brett Vito

"Reaching that mark would give UNT just as much of a boost as beating a 6-6 Florida State team without its head coach and starting quarterback Deondre Francois, who was lost for the season with a knee injury in the Seminoles' season-opener."

@Brett Vito I have to disagree with you that getting win #10 against Troy would be more significant for the program than getting win #10 against Florida State...in fact, Troy is arguably the tougher team than an unmotivated Florida State squad. The team needs the support in New Orleans, but curious if there will be any reporting on how things occurred over the last few days.

Edit: I suppose I'm mostly curious about what the procedures were supposed to be and what actually happened. How and why is FAU not in the Indy bowl. Was that not an available choice for the champion because of secondary tie in?

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

"Reaching that mark would give UNT just as much of a boost as beating a 6-6 Florida State team without its head coach and starting quarterback Deondre Francois, who was lost for the season with a knee injury in the Seminoles' season-opener."

@Brett Vito I have to disagree with you that getting win #10 against Troy would be more significant for the program than getting win #10 against Florida State...in fact, Troy is arguably the tougher team than an unmotivated Florida State squad. The team needs the support in New Orleans, but curious if there will be any reporting on how things occurred over the last few days.

How is UTSA's win against Baylor doing for them?

Brett is saying getting to 10 wins is the only thing helping UNT. 

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Shreveport has been a gambling destination city for tens upon thousands from the North Texas Metroplex for years.   Did Buford & Billy Bob on that Shreveport bowl selection committee overlook that small detail?  

I'd say dramatically more Texans thru  the years made the Shreveport trip multiple more times than Mississippians.  Hell, we have 7,000,000 population in our alma mater's home area, ie, the North Texas Metroplex & how many from the whole state of MS. ?

UNT's Bowl traveling fan numbers should be well known by now--- it is not chopped liver numbers by any means.  The astute bowl officials who  pick schools would have probably seen our last 2 HOD Bowl crowds or even made a few phone calls to Dallas to ask how we travelled, ya think?  (Probably not).

WE BEAT USM 2 YEARS IN A ROW!  FSU DIDNT CHOOSE USM---IT WAS SOUTHERN FRIED HAYSEEDS LIKE BUFORD & BILLY BOB ON THE SHREVEPORT BOWL COMMITTEE WHO DID .

➡️ I'D WAGER UNT DID NOT GET ANY HELP FROM CUSA OFFICIALS AT ALL. 

Enuf already!  It all feels like OldDenton to me.  People making choices who'll leave as soon as they can get out.

"We're walking to New Orleans." (Fats Domino)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Southern Miss still has some name cache that we have not built yet.  They are still living off of stuff they did back in the 80's and 90's.  Too bad we don't have that same reputation.  According to Sagarin, we would be around a 3 touchdown dog to FSU.  In the bigger scheme of things, I am not sure what a skull dragging would do for us.

I am putting this behind me and moving on.  We didn't get or didn't accept an Indy invite so can't do anything about it now.  Onward and upward.

#beatTroy

37 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

"Reaching that mark would give UNT just as much of a boost as beating a 6-6 Florida State team without its head coach and starting quarterback Deondre Francois, who was lost for the season with a knee injury in the Seminoles' season-opener.

LOL, wow.  That ranks up there with, " The president, AD, and coach don't have NT's best interest in mind because they didn't go to UNT."

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

DRC: UNT gets to take its players to a destination city for a winnable game. That matters more than the matchup

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/12/03/brett-vito-playing-new-orleans-bowl-huge-win-unt-even-matchup-troy

I usually agree with you vito, but not this time. Shreveport would have been better. Cost of plane tickets is high.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Edit: I suppose I'm mostly curious about what the procedures were supposed to be and what actually happened. How and why is FAU not in the Indy bowl. Was that not an available choice for the champion because of secondary tie in?

The logic that a W vs Troy is better than a W vs FSU is flat out stupid.. FSU trending down, and is a GAINT name and viewed as a SOLID P5, that won the NCAA title a few years ago.. 

Beating someone like FSU when they are down would be great for UNT in recruiting and would  re-energize this fan base.. It’s somewhat similar to UTSA beating Baylor.. UTSA got a lot of pub and FSU is far better than Baylor.. 

You want to go out pitch to fans, recruits about #NewDenton go beat a P5 and do the opposite of the past which is go to the NO and play Troy.. Yes Troy is solid but it’s not a sexy match up, nor are we a sexy match up for them either..

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why are they so high this year?

Not just plane tickets, hotels look outrageously high too. I think it's the short notice and New Orleans is just a lot more of a destination city than it was even in the early 2000's. Would love to make it but may be cost prohibitive this year. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why are they so high this year?

My guess is that part of it is due to the bowl game, plus the Saints are also playing at home that weekend (it is going to be a crazy weekend), plus the cheap tickets are starting to sell out for Friday departure with Sunday or Monday return.  I notice that 15 or 20 minutes after I bought my tickets that Southwest was showing sold out of their cheapest fares.

2 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

DRC: UNT gets to take its players to a destination city for a winnable game. That matters more than the matchup

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/12/03/brett-vito-playing-new-orleans-bowl-huge-win-unt-even-matchup-troy

I've been waiting for some substantial in depth reporting about the issues this bowl selection has created. Between the graduation scheduling and the fan turmoil there is plenty to write about. But, all we are getting is a free athletic department advertisement from the DRC.

Anything from the NT Daily yet? I'd hope one of their reporters would like to write an actual story on this.

Edited by Side Show Joe

15 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Not just plane tickets, hotels look outrageously high too. I think it's the short notice and New Orleans is just a lot more of a destination city than it was even in the early 2000's. Would love to make it but may be cost prohibitive this year. 

Hotel prices are always higher on the weekends in downtown/French Quarter NO.  If you drive you are also going to be hit with outrageous parking fees.  

15 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The logic that a W vs Troy is better than a W vs FSU is flat out stupid.. FSU trending down, and is a GAINT name and viewed as a SOLID P5, that won the NCAA title a few years ago.. 

Beating someone like FSU when they are down would be great for UNT in recruiting and would  re-energize this fan base.. It’s somewhat similar to UTSA beating Baylor.. UTSA got a lot of pub and FSU is far better than Baylor.. 

You want to go out pitch to fans, recruits about #NewDenton go beat a P5 and do the opposite of the past which is go to the NO and play Troy.. Yes Troy is solid but it’s not a sexy match up, nor are we a sexy match up for them either..

Agree. 👍👍

Not sure why beating a (normally) Top 25 school has evaded us but it has not Troy, La Tech & even ULM back in the day.

Those 3 schools had to have the hosses to beat the pedigree of opponent they beat & not just one time since 2 of the 3 aforementioned schools have other big time wins, but that only serves as a reminder of how bad our recruiting has actually been over too long a period of time.  For UNT to have retained such a decent fan base during all those years is almost a miracle itself. 

Yet one good  recruiting class every 4 years & keeping our fingers crossed that a whole bunch of projects come thru is no way to have a football program.  UNT must start hitting some grand slams in our recruiting the next 2 years to avoid our OldDenton/UNT ways (again).