UT San Antonio is not going bowling

TheReal_jayD

I have to admit I have mixed emotions. I kind of want as many CUSA teams in as possible, but on the other hand if San Antonio goes to a bowl it sort of legitimizes them and I consider them to be illegitimate. Now they exist in a paradox, and it is both saddening and confusing. Such is UTSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Interesting that UTSA was left out and the CUSA spot in the Armed Forces Bowl went to another conference.  Not sure how that played out.  

We picked up a spot in the Camelia Bowl and the Cure Bowl.  However, ESPN does not appear to own the Cure Bowl so not sure if it had anything to do with this.  On paper, it looks like we swapped the Armed Forces Bowl (ESPN) with Camelia Bowl (ESPN) with the Camelia Bowl being a much lesser bowl.

Maybe the conference just hates UTSA, which I would be ok with, or maybe the conference is getting something out of the deal from ESPN.

• Haha 1

Haha these replies are hilarious. I really would prefer as many bowls as possible for our conference though. Even if it's teams we don't like. But as long as we have one...even a lower tier bowl...I'm not really as worried about every one else. Priorities and all that.

• Haha 1

It must tough to be a UTSA fan this year. First, they lose their Super Bowl in the most excruciating fashion imaginable against us in Denton. Then, they fall apart for the rest of the season, which sees a season that they believed would be an undefeated year turn into a .500 season. And finally, to not make a Bowl when 78 other teams do just makes you look so small time.

Oh well, at least they know about the special herbs and spices that need to be applied to the fried chicken.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

In all seriousness. This is why I cringe when some say they want to be a rival with them. I don't want anything to do with them. I know...we've crapped the bed the last few times we played them but my hope is we take care of business the next few years and we can move on from them.  Yes we're in the same conference and they're from Texas but it stops there. They're a startup that should still be in the Sunbelt with their true rival TX State. There's a reason no Bowl wanted them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

Good gods, this place has become like PonyFans when they talk about us.

Anyways, I promised myself I'd never come back until we made it back into the NO Bowl, so here I be.

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Speaking of LA Tech, can y'all imagine if we were in their place playing SMU in a bowl in Frisco? The city might burn to the ground. The parking lot would be like the Anchorman fight at a minimum.

Do we really need a 4th home field in DFW? Apogee, Ford and the Cotton Bowl are already great for us. Plus, It'd be funny for us to go to Toyota Stadium asking for a fair share for our fan turnout vs. the Ponies - we get 19750 tickets, they get 250.

19 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I wouldn't say they're not going bowling.  There's an AMF Lanes in San Antonio.

University Bowl. Only a few exits down from campus, and you can avoid the Huebner traffic. Plus, the Goodwill in the parking lot has a tech store.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

12 hours ago, vpackrats said:

Serious question here ... I thought there was an NCAA rule that stated all teams with winning records HAD to be invited first to bowls ... THEN it fell to teams that went 6-6 ... and then if there were no more teams at 6-6 ... THEN it went to 5-7 teams like us last year.  Is this not a thing anymore?  Cuz as much as I don't like UTSA they did deserve to go more than say 6-6 MUTS.    In a related note, how did the Armed Forces Bowl avoid taking a CUSA team and nab a Mountain West team instead?  I guess contractual obligations don't mean that much?

Good question.  

HONESTLY?  This whole thing with USM vs FSU & a USM we beat 2 years in a row reeks to high stink! 

Florida State U?   Already forgot that we once hosted the Bobby Bowden-coached  Seminoles at Fouts Field?   More UNT history to be erased & flushed down the drain to fit a narrative?  (Seems to be a national trend, but I assure you--one that will have a short shelf life).  OldDenton?  DRC? You  want to comment or are you still busy picking future way under .500 in wins/losses  career losers for the UNT Athletic Hall of Fame & to name venues after?  Only in OldDenton, folks, only in OldDenton.  People outside Denton & at other higher profile Texas universities we aspire to be like can only laugh at us & they do.  

I don't care what you who are grasping for damage control straws are saying as some of you are even throwing UNT under the bus making excuses for our NO's Bowl choice; but more so,  what seems to have been no real effort to get a more high profile Bowl opponent as we genuflected to our CUSA non-friends allowing a bunch from the hick state of Mississippi to one-up our school. How weak & spineless some of our group can be.  Some of whom that kept rubber-stamping athletic mediocrity for so long it simply became the norm at good ol' Texas Normal. Is "we po' but proud" back in play once again?

Seems our powers wanted the Big Easy from the git-go with a  question to our team (possibly) asked  liked this?   "You guys do want to go to New Orleans, right?  YOU DO WANT TO GO TO NEW ORLEANS, RIGHT!"😡 (For what it's worth, there is just not a whole lotta' good that happens in that black magic voodoo town after dark).  

➡️ AND FINALLY....... THIS ➡️   Bureaucrats always have a way of going around their constituencies to get what they personally want & public university officials can be as bureaucratic & totally aloof to who they're suppose to serve as anyone.

A National Casepoint?  How about those clowns in Washington D.C. who are suppose to function as our Congress?  I don't trust any of them as far as you can throw them--both sides of the aisle. Do you? They continue to show the nation their worth & amazing  hormonal overages.  (Oh, I forgot, I'm on a Snowflakes-inundated forum & I'm not suppose to say most of this kind of stuff, right, ❤️Red Brigade❤️)?  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

On 12/4/2017 at 4:05 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Good question.  

HONESTLY?  This whole thing with USM vs FSU & a USM we beat 2 years in a row reeks to high stink! 

Florida State U?   Already forgot that we once hosted the Bobby Bowden-coached  Seminoles at Fouts Field?   More UNT history to be erased & flushed down the drain to fit a narrative?  (Seems to be a national trend, but I assure you--one that will have a short shelf life).  OldDenton?  DRC? You  want to comment or are you still busy picking future way under .500 in wins/losses  career losers for the UNT Athletic Hall of Fame & to name venues after?  Only in OldDenton, folks, only in OldDenton.  People outside Denton & at other higher profile Texas universities we aspire to be like can only laugh at us & they do.  

I don't care what you who are grasping for damage control straws are saying as some of you are even throwing UNT under the bus making excuses for our NO's Bowl choice; but more so,  what seems to have been no real effort to get a more high profile Bowl opponent as we genuflected to our CUSA non-friends allowing a bunch from the hick state of Mississippi to one-up our school. How weak & spineless some of our group can be.  Some of whom that kept rubber-stamping athletic mediocrity for so long it simply became the norm at good ol' Texas Normal. Is "we po' but proud" back in play once again?

Seems our powers wanted the Big Easy from the git-go with a  question to our team (possibly) asked  liked this?   "You guys do want to go to New Orleans, right?  YOU DO WANT TO GO TO NEW ORLEANS, RIGHT!"😡 (For what it's worth, there is just not a whole lotta' good that happens in that black magic voodoo town after dark).  

➡️ AND FINALLY....... THIS ➡️   Bureaucrats always have a way of going around their constituencies to get what they personally want & public university officials can be as bureaucratic & totally aloof to who they're suppose to serve as anyone.

A National Casepoint?  How about those clowns in Washington D.C. who are suppose to function as our Congress?  I don't trust any of them as far as you can throw them--both sides of the aisle. Do you? They continue to show the nation their worth & amazing  hormonal overages.  (Oh, I forgot, I'm on a Snowflakes-inundated forum & I'm not suppose to say most of this kind of stuff, right, ❤️Red Brigade❤️)?  

I was a strong advocate of playing a P5 for a bowl game. After our inability to correct our porous defense twice against FAU as well as appearing very slow on defense against an apparently much faster FAU offense, the G5 match-up is a blessing.  FSU might have had an off-year, but they recruit fast, capable, and sometimes elite athletes. FSU would have made mince-meat out of our defense.  We got the bowl that we deserve and that gives us the best shot a W. Great season, one of the best of all time, but we are not yet ready for the big-time P5 bowls. Hopefully, next season.  We will have our hands full with Troy too. 

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

In all seriousness. This is why I cringe when some say they want to be a rival with them. I don't want anything to do with them. I know...we've crapped the bed the last few times we played them but my hope is we take care of business the next few years and we can move on from them.  Yes we're in the same conference and they're from Texas but it stops there. They're a startup that should still be in the Sunbelt with their true rival TX State. There's a reason no Bowl wanted them. 

The "rivalry" has been manufactured by and is an invention of the DRC beat reporter.  If it develops on its own organically and over time, so be it, but it's not a rivalry just because someone wants it to be and insists on pushing it every time he gets a chance.  We want to beat all of our conference mates and have a certain amount of animosity against all of them durning the season.  Don't confuse that for a rivalry that has developed over many years of on-the-field competition.  If we were not in the same conference with UTSA, we wouldn't give them a second thought and they wouldn't care about us either. 

2 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

I was a strong advocate of playing a P5 for a bowl game. After our inability to correct our porous defense twice against FAU as well as appearing very slow on defense against an apparently much faster FAU offense, the G5 match-up is a blessing.  FSU might have had an off-year, but they recruit fast, capable, and sometimes elite athlete athletes. FSU would have made mince-meat out of our defense.  We got the bowl that we deserve and that gives us the best shot a W. Great season, one of the best of all time, but we are not yet ready for the big-play bowls. Hopefully, next season.  We will have our hands full with Troy too. 

Granted, but how sure would anyone be that FAU wouldn't run circles  around a .500 Fla.State team?

Like many of you we are heartbroken that our favorite team got beat by FAU,  but I think the speed & talent we saw twice this year would beat a bunch of .500 (or more) P5 schools.  FAU should be in the Top 25 IMHO.

🤠 BLAST FROM PAST:  FAU would remind me of a  virtually unknown 1967 UH Coogs football team (and football program) who went up to Lansing, Michigan, as multiple touchdowns under dog against Duffy Daugherty's #2 ranked MSU Spartans.  Well......UH left the state of Michigan that day as the victors (& by quite a few points) because Bill Yeomen's ""Houston Veer" had the Fake Mean Green of MSU turned totally  inside out!  * Our HS football team was listening to that game en route to play a Catholic school in Halletsville, Texas, i.e., Czech country. Our HFC was a big Coog fan & UH alum so we were allowed to listen to the game. LOL!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen