Not a lot of Respect for UNT on the Troy Football Message Board

Harry

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

You do understand that the NOLA Bowl gave us a place to go when nobody else wanted to host the Sun Belt Champion.  Second, although my feelings for New Orleans have changed in the last few years, it is a great tourist town that makes for a fun weekend.  Just say No to everyone on Bourbon Street.  Third, it is my take that the players chose their destination and wanted New Orleans, which as Vito noted, is a better town for those attending than Shreveport, Albuquerque, etc...  I am disappointed as to when it falls because it makes it impossible for me to attend, but this isn't about me.  This is a reward for our seniors that lived through 1-11 and have turned this program around.

With all due respect to Troy, let's wear them out.

They had a contract for the SBC champion.   
They were extremely pissed 5-7 UNT won in 2001 & wanted SBC "co-champ", 8-3 MT instead.  Good thing someone (SBC leadership & RV) stood up to them...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, they beat Akron....and FAU plays Akron in their bowl game.  Our champ gets Akron!~)(@Q(!#*&* ???

Gosh our CUSA bowl matchups, across the board, are crap.  No offense to Troy.  

I've always thought Troy fights above their weight class.  That's an admirable trait.  Still, losing to them in the bowl is going to be a tough pill for the program to swallow after such a successful year.  I hope it drives our players and coaches to finish strong next year.  I just think without Wilson we are in for some trouble against teams with even serviceable defenses.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I'm not sure I'm scared of Troy anymore after looking at their schedule. 

Ark state, LSU, South Alabama(maybe?) only respectable wins. Lets face it, LSU was asleep at the wheel, if they played LSU today they would get stomped, but that doesn't matter a win is a win. 

They'll give us hell, but their record isn't what it appears, in my eyes at least. 

they actually LOST to South Alabama. 

• Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I'm not sure I'm scared of Troy anymore after looking at their schedule. 

Ark state, LSU, South Alabama(maybe?) only respectable wins. Lets face it, LSU was asleep at the wheel, if they played LSU today they would get stomped, but that doesn't matter a win is a win. 

They'll give us hell, but their record isn't what it appears, in my eyes at least. 

You obviously didn't watch the Troy/LSU game.

LSU came to play, but they were simply dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage and physically outplayed.  Troy held them to zero 3rd Down conversions, which says a lot.  One thing that is never mentioned is Troy has recruited bigger, lengthier players on all sides of the ball since Neal Brown has come in.  That's one reason Troy could matchup with LSU and do what they did.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cardinalblacktrojan said:

LSU came to play, but they were simply dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage and physically outplayed.  Troy held them to zero 3rd Down conversions, which says a lot.  One thing that is never mentioned is Troy has recruited bigger, lengthier players on all sides of the ball since Neal Brown has come in.  That's one reason Troy could matchup with LSU and do what they did.

Never questioned your team's quality but back in the day when we were in the Sun Belt there were questions from several SBC members (not necessarily ours) about your school's academic entrance requirements, specifically for athletes?  I'm sure they've been brought up to snuff since.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cardinalblacktrojan said:

I'm actually excited y'all got the win, but have to believe LSU wins that matchup 8+ times out of 10.

You just can't convince me that any G5 is going to outrecruit LSU on the Offensive/Defensive Line 2-deep. 

• Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Never questioned your team's quality but back in the day when we were in the Sun Belt there were questions from several SBC members (not necessarily ours) about your school's academic entrance requirements, specifically for athletes?  I'm sure they've been brought up to snuff since.

GMG!

The academic requirements are in line with other Sun Belt and CUSA schools.

I've never seen any evidence of the whole academic requirements issue from back then.  It was only ever mentioned while Troy was winning the Sun Belt, of course.  When Arkansas State and ULL started winning the Sun Belt, the same questions were brought up about their academics as well (for really no good reason).

Now, what I do know is that from 2004 to roughly 2011 or so, Larry Blakeney would oversign recruits.  Troy would have recruiting classes exceeding 25 and sometimes 30 players.  Nick Saban was also doing the same thing at Alabama at that time.  It was "legal" by NCAA standards to do it back then, so Blakeney technically never did anything wrong.  He was just recruiting the high 3-star, 4-star, and sometimes 5-star athletes that most schools thought wouldn't make the grades to get into college.  Blakeney was hoping that they'd wind up making their grades.  It worked out well on many occasions and Troy got some phenomenal players that kept their head straight and graduated college.  Some others either flunked out their freshman year or left Troy to go to JUCO.  Whether that was a good idea or bad idea by Blakeney is up for debate.  Either way, Troy hasn't recruited that way in years now.

Troy has great recruits now because we have some fantastic assistant coaches that have been getting the job done in a big way.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cardinalblacktrojan said:

The academic requirements are in line with other Sun Belt and CUSA schools.

I've never seen any evidence of the whole academic requirements issue from back then.  It was only ever mentioned while Troy was winning the Sun Belt, of course.  When Arkansas State and ULL started winning the Sun Belt, the same questions were brought up about their academics as well (for really no good reason).

Now, what I do know is that from 2004 to roughly 2011 or so, Larry Blakeney would oversign recruits.  Troy would have recruiting classes exceeding 25 and sometimes 30 players.  Nick Saban was also doing the same thing at Alabama at that time.  It was "legal" by NCAA standards to do it back then, so Blakeney technically never did anything wrong.  He was just recruiting the high 3-star, 4-star, and sometimes 5-star athletes that most schools thought wouldn't make the grades to get into college.  Blakeney was hoping that they'd wind up making their grades.  It worked out well on many occasions and Troy got some phenomenal players that kept their head straight and graduated college.  Some others either flunked out their freshman year or left Troy to go to JUCO.  Whether that was a good idea or bad idea by Blakeney is up for debate.  Either way, Troy hasn't recruited that way in years now.

Troy has great recruits now because we have some fantastic assistant coaches that have been getting the job done in a big way.

The team looked great in the LSU game.  Something seemed a little different in the ArkySt game.  Did not look as physical or something.  Not sure, haven't watch enough to know, but different.  Based on what I have seen, I think our offense will compare favorably with ArkySt and our defense is probably not quite as good as theirs, especially on 3rd down.  To see them play you close, and actually kind of dominate on the offensive side of the ball, minus the turnovers, makes me think we are going to be able to move the ball some on offense.  Our defense has been pretty porous at times, so it could be a pretty competitive and high scoring game.

Looking forward to it.

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They were extremely pissed 5-7 UNT won in 2001 & wanted SBC "co-champ", 8-3 MT instead.  Good thing someone (SBC leadership & RV) stood up to them...

I don't remember the bowl being pissed - I DO remember MT wanting to change the rules about going to be bowl. In 2001, the New Orleans Bowl didn't have a separate staff or even an separate office, they were a part of the SBC office. I believe the bowl didn't even have it's own printer but used the one the Belt office owned. 

MT wanted to change the rules after NT won based on the rules, but the league office and RV both said you can't do that. 

On 12/3/2017 at 4:22 PM, MeanMag said:

So I guess we are not allowed to be disappointed because they are too.

I feel like we are back in the Sun Belt. But, Hooray? I guess...

Is that better?

The CUSA is Sunbelt 2.0 or even WAC 2.0 and I feel like we should have all acknowledged this by this time.  

The WAC and a slew of Sunbelt Teams (comparable to the WAC at the time) form what is left of the CUSA (Rice, USM, Marshall and UAB).  Of course those teams were left out due to concerns that their markets weren't large enough (USM and Marshall) or that they didn't give a shit about sports (Rice and UAB).  

We HOPE that all programs are starting along the path of giving a shit about their Athletic Programs and in many cases we can see progress in that regard.  FAU, UTSA, FIU and UNT all made coaching hires that put us into competitive situations this year (maybe not UTSA so much). 

The question is as the firings occur at places like Rice, UTEP and other CUSA programs is that they can hire solid coaches who make this a better conference. 

18 hours ago, All About UNT said:

The CUSA is Sunbelt 2.0 or even WAC 2.0 and I feel like we should have all acknowledged this by this time.  

The WAC and a slew of Sunbelt Teams (comparable to the WAC at the time) form what is left of the CUSA (Rice, USM, Marshall and UAB).  Of course those teams were left out due to concerns that their markets weren't large enough (USM and Marshall) or that they didn't give a shit about sports (Rice and UAB).  

We HOPE that all programs are starting along the path of giving a shit about their Athletic Programs and in many cases we can see progress in that regard.  FAU, UTSA, FIU and UNT all made coaching hires that put us into competitive situations this year (maybe not UTSA so much). 

The question is as the firings occur at places like Rice, UTEP and other CUSA programs is that they can hire solid coaches who make this a better conference. 

I was hoping for a different bowl is all, selfishly, because I will not be able to go because of the date, but also because I've been to New Orleans 3 times and seen our school play and get beat by Troy before. A change of scenery and an opponent that we haven't played so much in recent history would have been more preferable to me.

Also, if it meant we didn't have to play them in a bowl game, I would have been happy with Troy and other older Sun Belt schools (arkst, paladin) being added to CUSA rather than Charlotte and ODU. I feel they have better resumes.

At this point, it doesn't matter. Just win. And I will likely be glued to the tv during my 1 year old's birthday party, because New Orleans and Troy has been a really tough sell on the wife to change the date.

18 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Charlotte is the one dragging CUSA now. Some stronger teams are going through a period of mediocrity just like we did when we started losing Sunbelt under Dickey. The bottom of CUSA has hired up and now it's up to the rest of the team's to compete. The Miners and the Houston Owls are looking. It's only Charlotte that's keeping on their coach.

25 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I was hoping for a different bowl is all, selfishly, because I will not be able to go because of the date, but also because I've been to New Orleans 3 times and seen our school play and get beat by Troy before. A change of scenery and an opponent that we haven't played so much in recent history would have been more preferable to me.

Also, if it meant we didn't have to play them in a bowl game, I would have been happy with Troy and other older Sun Belt schools (arkst, paladin) being added to CUSA rather than Charlotte and ODU. I feel they have better resumes.

At this point, it doesn't matter. Just win. And I will likely be glued to the tv during my 1 year old's birthday party, because New Orleans and Troy has been a really tough sell on the wife to change the date.

The East would never have agreed to add anymore West teams.  ODU was added and is already begging along with Southern Miss for a more regional alignment. 

• Lovely Take 1

On 12/4/2017 at 3:24 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

They had a contract for the SBC champion.   

That is not correct.  They came and invited us.  MUTS were pissed and tried to change the rules.