CUSA Bowls Confirmed

MattMakesLoans

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

FSU is in the Independence Bowl 

I cannot put into words how disappointed I am.

Until we know who their opponent is:  2 scenarios, 2 different places of blame.

1.  P5 opponent = CUSA office’s lack of direction/ability to hold the Indy Bowl committee’s feet to the fire to keep their contracted “alternate” tie-in in tact.

2.  Some other CUSA school like LATech = WBs inability to negotiate, as he’s on record saying this game is what the players/coaches wanted.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I cannot put into words how disappointed I am.

Until we know who their opponent is:  2 scenarios, 2 different places of blame.

1.  P5 opponent = CUSA office’s lack of direction/ability to hold the Indy Bowl committee’s feet to the fire to keep their contracted “alternate” tie-in in tact.

2.  Some other CUSA school like LATech = WBs inability to negotiate, as he’s on record saying this game is what the players/coaches wanted.

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/937429669401546755

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

IF we had a chance to go play FSU in the Indy and passed I would be upset.  However, I don't think that was the case.  Remember, *WE* have to be invited by *THEM*, and if Indy would rather have LaTech I can't blame them.  

I'm with @MeanGreenTexan.  The fact that we are not playing FSU in Shreveport is a massive failure by either CUSA, NT Athletics, or some combination of the two.  Even though this is against another CUSA team I still blame the conference for not working with the bowls to shepherd the better teams to where they would prefer to go.  I'm assuming we would have taken that all day and this is a CUSA problem.  

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

IF we had a chance to go play FSU in the Indy and passed I would be upset.  However, I don't think that was the case.  Remember, *WE* have to be invited by *THEM*, and if Indy would rather have USM I can't blame them.  

👆👆👆

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

IF we had a chance to go play FSU in the Indy and passed I would be upset.  However, I don't think that was the case.  Remember, *WE* have to be invited by *THEM*, and if Indy would rather have USM I can't blame them.  

Curious about Indy's thought process here. If you believe what we've heard. Our AD would've taken this bowl. 

So why did Indy pick USM over us? Will they bring that many more people?

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Southern Mississippi is a bigger brand than North Texas right now.  That could have played a big role in who they invited.

We always brought good crowds to New Orleans - surprisingly good crowds given  that it was in the middle of the week etc...

That may have played into their thinking although I honestly think we could have had similar if not better crowds at Shreveport.

Just now, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Southern Mississippi is a bigger brand than North Texas right now.  That could have played a big role in who they invited.

I think USM is a bigger brand to the people near Shreveport who could walk up and buy tickets.   

I am disappointed CUSA and us couldn't convince the Indy to invite us instead of USM.  I would only be angry if we had an invite from the Indy an turned it down.  Nothing has led me to believe that.  

1 minute ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Is it a bigger brand 2.5 hours from Dallas?

Do bowls want TV or attendance? 

Serious question. I don't know....

(and in the grand scheme of things is the USM brand that much bigger? I would agree it's probably a little bigger but is it a big difference? Again. Honest question)

1 minute ago, Harry said:

We always brought good crowds to New Orleans - surprisingly good crowds given  that it was in the middle of the week etc...

That may have played into their thinking although I honestly think we could have had similar if not better crowds at Shreveport.

Harry, the Shreveport crowd against Florida State would be double what we will take to New Orleans.  No comparison whatsoever. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Is it a bigger brand 2.5 hours from Dallas?

Do bowls want TV or attendance? 

Serious question. I don't know....

(and in the grand scheme of things is the USM brand that much bigger? I would agree it's probably a little bigger but is it a big difference? Again. Honest question)

i think the perception is Southern Miss is a bigger brand to the TV audience, general public (especially around LA) and to FSU.  Don't think FSU didn't have a say in all this.

• Lovely Take 1

There is no way a P5 was going to agree to play us, yet.  We need to win several more years first.

If there is any chance we could win in a down year for them, they wouldn't chance it.

Losing to Southern Miss would be bad for them, but not a complete disaster.

Losing to us would be just that to a P5.

No way Florida State would agree and they have waaaay more pull than we do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Harry, the Shreveport crowd against Florida State would be double what we will take to New Orleans.  No comparison whatsoever. 

Interested how you are so sure of that.   A weekday game in Shreveport vs a Saturday in New Orleans.  For the few that don't know it, NO is an eight hour drive from Dallas, not exactly undoable.  Drive to Shreveport and it is less than 5 hours to NO.  Many because of the weekend vs weekday difference would find NO the easier trip.   NT did have very good crowds at mid-week games in New Orleans, this year should be even better. 

My guess is that most who would go to Shreveport will go to NO.   Only a few are going to be so disenchanted at the thought of playing an 10-2 Troy vs a FSU 6-6 team will to be a no go.   Again there is absolutely no evidence that NT would have been selected by the Independence Bowl under any circumstances. 

I have been to both bowl games, and IMO the New Orleans Bowl is a far better destination.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1