It's OFFICIAL: UNT vs. Troy in 2017 New Orleans Bowl

Harry

• Harry pinned this topic
  • Harry featured this topic
8 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

All I can say is we better win and win it by a lot. Otherwise there will be some REALLY bad reactions.

We also need a big crowd down there despite the disappointment with the matchup (which I think most NT fans are feeling), because:

1) We want bowl committees to see the fan base travels well which would be a benefit in the future.

2) Troy is very good and we need as much of a home field advantage as possible.  We MUST win this game. 

• Upvote 2

Excited for the team, and the game. The matchup is okay... Given what the rest of the CUSA matchups are looking like, we could do a lot worse. Especially considering the pounding we took yesterday. FAU to the Boca Bowl? Laughable. At least their 37 fans won't have to travel far. 

Edited by meangreenlax
spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Let's see.  The CUSA champ is playing the runner up from the MAC in their home stadium.  The MAC champion is playing the runner up from the Sun Belt in Mobile.  CUSA runner up (UNT) is playing the champ from Sun Belt in New Orleans.  

I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like we got at least as good of a game as two other conference champs.  Maybe we should be a little more humble.  

In any other year I think we most likely accept an Armed Forces Bowl invite, if offered and based on the alternatives, but we just played Army 3 times so not much appeal there.

Keep winning.  Build tradition.  Onward and upward.

• Lovely Take 1

16 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I also am pissed that USM got the Independence Bowl but this appears to be a player decision. Since all Bowl money is pooled and then shared equally, destination becomes the driving force. 

WB & SL (whom I would assume speaks for the players) both said they wanted a P5.   If it were truly their decision, we'd be in the Indy Bowl, without a doubt.

What I'm afraid may have happened is that the Indy Bowl didn't have FSU assigned until late, and NT did not want to turn down the NO Bowl's immediate invite with it in hand, rather than wait for the Indy Bowl to get sorted out.

If you have the time and financial ability, definately go to New Orleans and support the team. Guaranteed, you will have fun. I went to the 2001 NO Bowl against CSU and by far the most enjoyable experience for me at any game weekend (and a week to recover). While  this is a different time and place for UNT football, it's still a great bowl destination and as long as we strive to win, good things will be in store now and for the future. Personally I don't have the means to make it to NO this year, but I'll be there in spirit. Go Mean Green..

Edited by retroeppy

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Let's see.  The CUSA champ is playing the runner up from the MAC in their home stadium.  The MAC champion is playing the runner up from the Sun Belt in Mobile.  CUSA runner up (UNT) is playing the champ from Sun Belt in New Orleans.  

I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like we got at least as good of a game as two other conference champs.  Maybe we should be a little more humble.  

In any other year I think we most likely accept an Armed Forces Bowl invite, if offered and based on the alternatives, but we just played Army 3 times so not much appeal there.

Keep winning.  Build tradition.  Onward and upward.

The bowl match-ups reflect the marketplace. The bowls are pure capitalism at work and the pairing reflect market forces.

UNT ought to be happy they get to play a conference champ instead of some also-ran and get an opponent that holds arguably the best win of a G5 over a P5 this year.

I think a UNT fan might look at the box score of AState - Troy and see what a Fedora inspired offense can do against Troy. A-State crapped out five times inside the Troy 30 with 2 picks (including a 100 yard pick six), two missed FG's and a turnover on downs all relating back to the fact the Red Wolves are in lousy shape at RB.

48 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

The bowl match-ups reflect the marketplace. The bowls are pure capitalism at work and the pairing reflect market forces.

UNT ought to be happy they get to play a conference champ instead of some also-ran and get an opponent that holds arguably the best win of a G5 over a P5 this year.

27c4fd1e8971bf7e7185501b7edb8981.gif

58 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

I think a UNT fan might look at the box score of AState - Troy and see what a Fedora inspired offense can do against Troy. A-State crapped out five times inside the Troy 30 with 2 picks (including a 100 yard pick six), two missed FG's and a turnover on downs all relating back to the fact the Red Wolves are in lousy shape at RB.

No doubt.  Good grief how did Arkst lose that game?  600 yards of offense to 300.  34 first downs to 14.  50% on 3rd down to 33%.  The 3 turnovers were killer.  Hoping for similar or better production on offense and defense, without the turnovers of course.

I saw on the Sun Belt board that if Arkst would have won then Appy State was going to NOLA Bowl.  Is that true?  What was the tie breaker?

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

Oh, me too, no doubt!
To be clear, you're not saying Florida State is an "also-ran" are you?

Out of all of the other matchups, I'm glad we got the one we're in (although, another crack at CSU in NM wouldn't be too bad).    ...just jealous of USM, that's all.

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

No doubt.  Good grief how did Arkst lose that game?  600 yards of offense to 300.  34 first downs to 14.  50% on 3rd down to 33%.  The 3 turnovers were killer.  Hoping for similar or better production on offense and defense, without the turnovers of course.

I saw on the Sun Belt board that if Arkst would have won then Appy State was going to NOLA Bowl.  Is that true?  What was the tie breaker?

NOLA wanted Happy Appy. We knew going in we were headed to Montgomery no matter what.

We had two picks in the end zone (one was a pick six), we missed two short FGs (hey coach maybe now you will offer a scholie instead of relying on walkons) and got stopped on a fourth and short when we didn't want to try a FG.

Zero points on five trips inside the 30 plus gave up a kickoff return for a TD.

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, me too, no doubt!
To be clear, you're not saying Florida State is an "also-ran" are you?

Out of all of the other matchups, I'm glad we got the one we're in (although, another crack at CSU in NM wouldn't be too bad).    ...just jealous of USM, that's all.

Yes they are an also ran.

They went 3-5 in the ACC got rolled by a mediocre BC.

3 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Yes they are an also ran.

They went 3-5 in the ACC got rolled by a mediocre BC.

OK.   I don't believe you're that tone-deaf regarding College Football on a national level, so you must be saying that simply to defend your conference's honor. 
I have no issue with respecting the SBC.   I'm not one of the dudes jumping up and down saying the SBC is "beneath" us.

If you do, indeed, believe Florida State University is a College Football "also-ran", I don't know what to say.

• Upvote 1

Either way, I would rather play in Shreveport, 3 or so hours from Denton and see USM go to NOLA, a couple of hours from their campus.  Plus, a flight from out here to NOLA is about $800 round trip, so selfishly, I would rather see us play in the Independence Bowl.  Plus, beating FSU would be awesome and the bowl has a great history.