DRC: UNT headed to New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I disagree. I think the worst thing you can do is continue to tolerate this kind of flawed logic. This is supposed to be New Denton. The athletic department needs to think twice before they ever consider taking another NO Bowl invitation again.

Yes, I hope North Texas stomps a mud hole in Troy. And, yes, I hope those that go have a great time while they are there, and certainly hope they all have safe travel. But, I totally understand North Texas fans not willing to lay down some significant money to travel to a New Orleans Bowl they don't even want to be in. Especially when USM is getting to play Florida State in the Independence Bowl.

Would you have been happier if we turned down the NO invite and then didn't get a bowl at all? Like La Tech a couple years ago? That could have been a real possibility as these chips fall pretty fast.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I disagree. I think the worst thing you can do is continue to tolerate this kind of flawed logic.

So you think the better outcome would be for a very small crowd to show up to NO so that the next time we get in this situation we have even less pull with bowl committees.   All so that the AD would learn some lesson.  What lesson that is I don't know.    

Personally, I am going to do what I think is the very best thing I can do to help this program get to the next level, support them with my time and money.  

If you think the best way to help this program go is to not support them with your time and money, then more power to you.  This is a free country, do what you want.

1 minute ago, brooks91 said:

Would you have been happier if we turned down the NO invite and then didn't get a bowl at all? Like La Tech a couple years ago? That could have been a real possibility as these chips fall pretty fast.

As the 2nd place team in C-USA was not going to be left out of the bowl season. That is a completely unrealistic possibility.

13 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

No Independence Bowl Rep was itching to pick USM. They all wanted a couple of P5 programs. They settled for USM. Our leadership's job was to sell them on settling for us instead. They obviously didn't do that.

Again...what's the pitch for us beyond a better season this year? 

It sounds like we could have done this or New Mexico, which doesn't seem worth an angry mob. Again, if a real shot at Shreveport was botched, let's go set things on fire.

Just now, Side Show Joe said:

As the 2nd place team in C-USA was not going to be left out of the bowl season. That is a completely unrealistic possibility.

Actually LaTech was a 9 win team that came in second in their conference when they turned down a bowl offer to wait for a better one and then got snubbed.  

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

So you think the better outcome would be for a very small crowd to show up to NO so that the next time we get in this situation we have even less pull with bowl committees.   All so that the AD would learn some lesson.  What lesson that is I don't know.    

Personally, I am going to do what I think is the very best thing I can do to help this program get to the next level, support them with my time and money.  

If you think the best way to help this program go is to not support them with your time and money, then more power to you.  This is a free country, do what you want.

Can you not do both? And I don't think we should be worried about the die hard, we should be worried st the casual fan. Will this game get them go the game?  I doubt it. Perception is everything and to the casual person this is #olddenton. 

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

It kind actually is. They were 9-3, 3rd in the WAC and didn’t go bowling because they didn’t want to play a sun belt team.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8703346/louisiana-tech-bulldogs-9-3-go-bowl-game

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Actually LaTech was a 9 win team that came in second in their conference when they turned down a bowl offer to wait for a better one and then got snubbed.  

Shreveport vs Florida State > New Orleans vs Troy > Not bowling. It would have been a disaster to somehow not end up in a bowl. I still think we as a fan base have reason for some disappointment without knowing specifically who or what caused it. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt

1 minute ago, mgfan said:

Can you not do both? 

No, I think you can be disappointed in not getting to play a P5.  But if the "both" includes wanting us to have a a poor turnout in NO (which is what my argument is), then there is no good reason to want that.

I hope what happen is that 40,000 Mean Green fans dominate Bourbon street and the Indy bowl sees that and thinks "Shit, we should have invited them."

5 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Wow southern miss vs fsu.........  we get troy. This has FAIL written all over it. I believe we had so many show to the HOD because of convience. I'm having troubling seeing a large crowd at NO vs troy. 

Yeah not that it matters now I think we could have had a pretty damn good crowd for the indy bowl as long as there was no freezing precipitation maybe out best outside of DFW by a long shot

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

No, I think you can be disappointed in not getting to play a P5.  But if the "both" includes wanting us to have a a poor turnout in NO (which is what my argument is), then there is no good reason to want that.

I hope what happen is that 40,000 Mean Green fans dominate Bourbon street and the Indy bowl sees that and thinks "Shit, we should have invited them."

You hope that happens, as do I, but is that realistic with the NO bowl? It the casual fan gonma to say " I can't wait to spend time and money to see us play troy even though I don't  go to home games". 

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

Yeah not that it matters now I think we could have had a pretty damn good crowd for the indy bowl as long as there was no freezing precipitation maybe out best outside of DFW by a long shot

I think we would have brought a very good crowd to Shreveport.  As far as we know they never extended an invite.

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

I do support this program with my time and my money, and I'm not trying to teach the AD a lesson. I'm pointing out the fact that fans that are mad have no obligation to be fleeced into attending a bowl they don't want to be in and view as inferior to others that were possible. I'm pointing out that I believe they have made a very bad error in judgement and it will probably have a very bad impact on the attendance. Because of this, the AD needs to think long and hard before ever considering another NO Bowl invitation.

Just now, mgfan said:

You hope that happens, as do I, but is that realistic with the NO bowl? It the casual fan gonma to say " I can't wait to spend time and money to see us play troy even though I don't  go to home games". 

Let's face it.  That kind of fan isn't going to Shreveport either.  That is out many problem, our alumni base is dominated by those types of fan.  

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

I do support this program with my time and my money, and I'm not trying to teach the AD a lesson. I'm pointing out the fact that fans that are mad have no obligation to be fleeced into attending a bowl they don't want to be in and view as inferior to others that were possible. I'm pointing out that I believe they have made a very bad error in judgement and it will probably have a very bad impact on the attendance. Because of this, the AD needs to think long and hard before ever considering another NO Bowl invitation.

I agree for the most part, if the game was against FSU then take it against troy...... not so much

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think we would have brought a very good crowd to Shreveport.  As far as we know they never extended an invite.

You are correct sir,  please forgive me if I don't completely buy it.

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

I'm pointing out that I believe they have made a very bad error in judgement and it will probably have a very bad impact on the attendance. Because of this, the AD needs to think long and hard before ever considering another NO Bowl invitation.

What error in judgement?  I am sure the AD would have LOVED to play FSU in the Indy. They didn't invite us.  

This level of invective would only seem appropriate to me if we had TURNED DOWN a Indy bowl invite.  In fact, if it ever comes to light that we did that, I will man the barricades next to you.  

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Are you telling me no other C-USA bowl wanted us?

Just now, KingDL1 said:

You are correct sir,  please forgive if I don't completely buy it.

I tell you what.  If you can ever present to me compelling proof that we had an invite to the Indy to play FSU then I'l bring the feathers, you bring the rail, and @Side Show Joe can bring the tar.

I would be very angry about that. v

Everything I have heard said we wanted a P5 game, sold as hard as we could, and didn't get the invite.