Expectations for UTA game?

diehardUNTfan

No clue why we would try to drive in there at the end. Just play for the last shot and take a three. Why would we want overtime with all the fouls and injuries. Great game up til the last 23 seconds. Just let Smart work the clock and take the three. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No clue why we would try to drive in there at the end. Just play for the last shot and take a three. Why would we want overtime with all the fouls and injuries. Great game up til the last 23 seconds. Just let Smart work the clock and take the three. 

They ran a set play to get him a 3. Didn’t work out. 

• Upvote 1

We were -18.5 underdogs.  UTA’s only loss is to #25 (at the time) Alabama by 1.  We coulda should woulda won this game and that’s after losing another ball handler to injury and having a crazy amount of touch fouls called.  Also on the road with a decent crowd there for UTA.  Cross has been building his program for years and does a great job there.  We are young and don’t shoot well, but it’s obvious this program is headed in a better direction under McCasland.  We lose this game by 20 with Benford. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

They ran a set play to get him a 3. Didn’t work out. 

In what world is that a set play? We left 12 seconds on the clock. You don’t just decide the play isn’t working and drive to the basket. You play to win there and not go into overtime. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, GreenBacker said:

We were -18.5 underdogs.  UTA’s only loss is to #25 (at the time) Alabama by 1.  We coulda should woulda won this game and that’s after losing another ball handler to injury and having a crazy amount of touch fouls called.  Also on the road with a decent crowd there for UTA.  Cross has been building his program for years and does a great job there.  We are young and don’t shoot well, but it’s obvious this program is headed in a better direction under McCasland.  We lose this game by 20 with Benford. 

I think it would be more tha 20. McCasland gets everything out of these young men.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

In what world is that a set play? We left 12 seconds on the clock. You don’t just decide the play isn’t working and drive to the basket. You play to win there and not go into overtime. 

They set a down screen for Smart coming off the baseline. It was covered and he kicked it back to Lawson. 

The intial play was drawn up as a Smart 3. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

They set a down screen for Smart coming off the baseline. It was covered and he kicked it back to Lawson. 

The intial play was drawn up as a Smart 3. 

I have no doubt the initial intent was to get Smart for a three but with plenty of time left you kick it back and try to get the three. It was a dumb decision. Even attempting to get Smart a 3 so early was a bad idea. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I have no doubt the initial intent was to get Smart for a three but with plenty of time left you kick it back and try to get the three. It was a dumb decision. Even attempting to get Smart a 3 so early was a bad idea. 

Agree 100% Andrew. That was the potential upset. Anyway, at least we can debate a potential winner. That's progress.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Cooley said:

At some point we will stop talking about Benford and the past. Doesn't matter if you lose by 30 or 3.  It's clear that we are more competitive but we are not getting production out of some of McCasland's recruits; to get even better. There's only one for next year. 

I had high expectations for Duffy, Miller; and Arikawe. Everything I read and watched made me feel like they would contribute immediately. Our Freshman are out shinning the JUCO’s.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Agree 100% Andrew. That was the potential upset. Anyway, at least we can debate a potential winner. That's progress.

It’s progress. I know McCasland is not into moral victories, but these past two games will pay dividends come conference play if we can stay healthy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I had high expectations for Duffy, Miller; and Arikawe. Everything I read and watched made me feel like they would contribute immediately. Our Freshman are out shinning the JUCO’s.

So Simmons is outshining Smart & Duffy? Duffy was working back from an injury and was starting to play really well. 

Simmons has grown up but he isn’t outshining those two dudes. 

• Lovely Take 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew said:

None of it was dumb. I’m fine with the early look bc if it isn’t there or he misses we have time for another shot or set up. 

Lawson got a great look at the basket off his drive. Yeah I’d love to get the shot off for the upset, but we got the next best thing a quality look. And even off his miss there was time for a put back. 

4 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

So Simmons is outshining Smart & Duffy? Duffy was working back from an injury and was starting to play really well. 

Simmons has grown up but he isn’t outshining those two dudes. 

I'm ok with Duffy but Andrew's point (I believe) is that he is a juco. Simmons was not expected to contribute as much as a thin true freshman that didn't play much in HS. My frustration was that we didn't go get a tested big man. Tope appears to be a bust as a juco big man.