Ready for a brand new OL

GMG24

Fine needed to run.  Yes they were sending only 4 and still getting in, but Fine was sitting back there early like he's gonna be able to pull off being a pocket passer. Did not use his mobility to run or move the pocket.  They dropped 7 back.  He needed to ruck it and run.  Going into the game we knew the line was overmatched.   

Did we really practice like he would have time as a pocket passer?  Looks like it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Some of those sacks were not due to the offensive line, however Fine should have been sacked a few more times but got away.  Murray had a horrible game.   I have never understood why he is not playing offensive guard.    He is obviously tall, but doesn't have the agility for the outside.  

He's too tall for guard.. he would have no leverage

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry said:

??

The air raid passing tree takes less than 2 seconds for a QB to get the ball out of his hands. On far more plays than not, MF has ample time to get the ball out of his hands. That falls on him. The FACT that the offensive coaching staff didn't have another gear to go to to get the ball flowing out of his hand when the conventional offense wasn't clicking is on the the coaching staff and game plan. The OL had some whiffs, but the majority of this is not on them.

*Also, playing from behind when your defense sucks something fierce lets the opposing defense know what our offense is doing. It makes things easier for them. Gap discipline goes out the window and getting to the QB takes top priority. 

• Upvote 3

There are 4 or 5 redshirts and or blue shirt OL guys that will be available this spring.

Maybe in that group, the OL coach can find some one who can block anybody! Not just stand there like sumo wrestlers!

The OL was pushed around by bigger and more athletic FAU DL players! Simple as that!

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The air raid passing tree takes less than 2 seconds for a QB to get the ball out of his hands. On far more plays than not, MF has ample time to get the ball out of his hands. That falls on him. The FACT that the offensive coaching staff didn't have another gear to go to to get the ball flowing out of his hand when the conventional offense wasn't clicking is on the the coaching staff and game plan. The OL had some whiffs, but the majority of this is not on them.

*Also, playing from behind when your defense sucks something fierce lets the opposing defense know what our offense is doing. It makes things easier for them. Gap discipline goes out the window and getting to the QB takes top priority. 

even announcers said this multiple times that Fine held onto the ball far to long on many plays. Throw it away sometimes.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Some of those sacks were not due to the offensive line, however Fine should have been sacked a few more times but got away.  Murray had a horrible game.   I have never understood why he is not playing offensive guard.    He is obviously tall, but doesn't have the agility for the outside.  

I’ve said it before and will again.. put him at DT/NG.. he alone would fill a gap.. he doesn’t have it get to the QB and he can put up his arms and be 7 foot.. 

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I’ve said it before and will again.. put him at DT/NG.. he alone would fill a gap.. he doesn’t have it get to the QB and he can put up his arms and be 7 foot.. 

Our defense is not an issue up the middle. Roderick Young and Tj have both done a commendable job up the middle for the most part all season. Our issue is that any team that try to stretch zone us or completely go jet sweep or pitch on us, has 0 issue getting the corner 9/10. In the current system, we NEVER had a DL sized player on the edge to set the edge and force the back to put a foot in the ground. This isn't a FAU issue, this has been an all season issue. If the edge can't be set in this exotic 3-3-5/4-2-5 defense then we must move back to the 4-3. We need true defensive ends on the field at all times to set the edge and force backs to make uncomfortable cuts. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Our defense is not an issue up the middle. Roderick Young and Tj have both done a commendable job up the middle for the most part all season. Our issue is that any team that try to stretch zone us or completely go jet sweep or pitch on us, has 0 issue getting the corner 9/10. In the current system, we NEVER had a DL sized player on the edge to set the edge and force the back to put a foot in the ground. This isn't a FAU issue, this has been an all season issue. If the edge can't be set in this exotic 3-3-5/4-2-5 defense then we must move back to the 4-3. We need true defensive ends on the field at all times to set the edge and force backs to make uncomfortable cuts. 

Agreed they have not been the problem but depth along the DL has been on the 2nd and 3rd lines.. 

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The OL was fine today. Fine had more than ample time on most plays. 

No  are you trolling or did you watch a different game than me. He had a couple opportunities where he basically had coverage sacks. This oline has been bad better than last year, but missing Jeffery Wilson no was there most of the time to bail Fine out. 

9 sacks, How many times was he hurried and in the grasp? 

Looked like they were either coming with the house and no time for Fine or they put him in a coverage sack situation with not much time. The Oline continues to be a weak link and weaker without J Wilson.

16 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

The Oline continues to be a weak link and weaker without J Wilson.

We're seeing just how much having Wilson back there covered some of our OL weakness since he's a really good blocking RB.  This is a big concern going into the bowl game.  Poor Evan Johnson tried hard when he was on the field, but he's not going to stop a D Lineman.

Our OL needs a lot of help.  Murray made the FAU right DE look like Charles Haley.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The OL was fine today. Fine had more than ample time on most plays. 

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you but this is exactly what I saw. Seemed like he was too scared he would turn the ball over since our receivers couldn’t get separation. The OL has problems on the run, but pass protect they held up fine.

Edited by UNT Five&Dime
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, untbowler said:

even announcers said this multiple times that Fine held onto the ball far to long on many plays. Throw it away sometimes.

LOL you listened to those garbage "announcers" same ones that didn't know our HC name, called us North Dakota, oh and called for Mason Fine to pull it on ZR when his back was turned to the guy he should be "reading". Aka we weren't running ZR.. right on bro

• Thanks 1

Still, we had a 2 year recruiting  lull in DMacs last 2 years.  It showed today.  That's why you have to pull in a good recruiting class every year instead of 1 every 4 years hoping all your projects develop.  

Today?  Their defense team speed were running circles around our offensive line.  Fine not the problem--their team speed was the problem.  Seems like they were in our backfield before the ball was hiked!

FAU looked like the U of Florida Gators last year.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you but this is exactly what I saw. Seemed like he was too scared he would turn the ball over since our receivers couldn’t get separation. The OL has problems on the run, but pass protect they held up fine.

I have had this happen before.  Usually, if I step away from the keyboard and count to 10, I am able to figure out the error that is causing me to think like Ben.  Sometimes, I have to do it a couple of times.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Felozano said:

We did fine with quick throws, it was when we were trying to go downfield, it not being there, and waiting too long to check down that really hurt us.  Fine seemed rattled and not his usual confident self (especially in the first half).  Did Guyton play today?   

Yes he did play.. he was even out there on the last INT threw waving his arms 

I didn't see any film and/or highlights from the first game. But after watching this one, I feel that we are very fortunate that FAU's previous score wasn't duplicated. Around the fourth quarter, FAU started playing sloppy.....and that's why the score was only 41. The announcers even made a comment about it. That last touchdown that was negated (thank goodness) was due to sloppy play. Otherwise the final score would have at least been 48-17.

To me, sloppy play in a game like this means two things.

1, FAU isn't quite as disciplined as they should be.

2. the schoolyard bully got bored beating up his latest victim.

They were bigger, faster, and more confident in their abilities than we were. And making adjustments and coaching the team to be where they are supposed to be only overcomes just so much. 

After a first half of waiting for his receivers to get separation and getting sacked in the process, Mr. Fine started taking matters in his own hands and started throwing his passes (as the announcers observed) into "narrower windows". 

To his credit, he made some of those throws.

This game really drives home the need for our coaching staff to be the best recruiters they can be.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Ok see I can see eye to eye with you on this kinda stuff. 3-3-5 imo is not a sound defense. It’s a gimmick. 4-3 imo is what we should run bc it lets you be multiple especially if you have a Sam that can cover. Just a simple “high school” coaches opinion. 

I will give a little credit to the coaches and players making some adjustments at halftime as to why we were more competitive in the second half. Probably a little from column A and a little from column B, but the offense (specifically Mason) looked tentative in the first half and less so in the second.