Out coached

mgfan

Baby B owned Harrell today.  This is not close to the 2014 defense that Mac would lean on with a crappy offensive production and play calling.  We sputtered our of the gate with some horrendous short 3rd down calls and lost momentum early JUST like last time.  This is not a team we didn’t know anything about.  We had film.

1 minute ago, mgfan said:

I'm at the game and it seems to me we are being out coached. HC doesnt call a timeout and lets the play clock go out. Doesn't go for it when down by 34. The whole playing calling is bad and littrell looks like he can't be bothered. 

This is the BIGGEST issue I have with him. His passion level is that of a jr high cheerleader on a snowy night. Just calling it how I see it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Baby B owned Harrell today.  This is not close to the 2014 defense that Mac would lean on with a crappy offensive production and play calling.  We sputtered our of the gate with some horrendous short 3rd down calls and lost momentum early JUST like last time.  This is not a team we didn’t know anything about.  We had film.

Commentators said before the game that the coaches did not show the players the game film from the FAU loss...

• Confused 2

Two years ago we were 1-11 and this years team brought excitement to Apogee.  Disappointed we lost but it should not take away what the team accomplished. FAU got a lot of big transfers to help them. I think the FAU coach wanted to win and get out of Dodge asap.    I think SL is building our program and hope he is here two more years. FAU is ahead of us but it is not going to take away from this season for me anyway.  Good news we don't play FAU next year in the regular season.  We do need to get better on the defensive side of the ball.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Two years ago we were 1-11 and this years team brought excitement to Apogee.  Disappointed we lost but it should not take away what the team accomplished. FAU got a lot of big transfers to help them. I think the FAU coach wanted to win and get out of Dodge asap.    I think SL is building our program and hope he is here two more years. FAU is ahead of us but not going to take away from this season for me anyway.  Good news we don't play FAU next year in the regular season.  We do need to get better on the defensive side of the ball.

wouldn't we play them at home next year and odu on the road?

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Two years ago we were 1-11 and this years team brought excitement to Apogee.  Disappointed we lost but it should not take away what the team accomplished. FAU got a lot of big transfers to help them. I think the FAU coach wanted to win and get out of Dodge asap.    I think SL is building our program and hope he is here two more years. FAU is ahead of us but not going to take away from this season for me anyway.  Good news we don't play FAU next year in the regular season.  We do need to get better on the defensive side of the ball.

And what was FAU record the season before LK??? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's happening today is not totally on our present coaching staff's plate.

The 2 classes prior to Seth Luttrell's arrival were from a coaching staff who had a Def. Coord. that when hired was told he didn't have to leave the Denton city limits to recruit future defensive stars.  Imagine that?  Having a Def. Coordinator who would  usually be the main guru of HS defensive talent, yet  ours not being on the Texas HS recruiting hotbeds like DFW, Houston, Beaumont,  East Texas, etc,  closingclosing, (always closing) the kind of kids who could have helped today? 

The next 2 recruiting classes are vital.  They will be Seth's 3'rd and 4'th class & not really sure how much time he had to recruit for his 1'st class truth be told.  I know he did answer a call from a kid from Oklahoma, though.

BUT....Haven't we had a helluva' good time with what he SL did with his first 2 recruiting classes?   This was one of my all time favorite seasons as a Mean Green fan in spite of what happened to us twice in Boca Raton.  We will all survive--we always do. 

GMG!

Just think...we have an almost $20 million Indoor Practice Facility on the way.  Does FAU?  If so, they could play all their future games in it with bleachers for all their fans.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

The LAST THREEEE years FAU was 3-9. Elaborate your point. Because given the opponent of today it's invalid. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

We are building and are a couple of years behind FAU but we will get better.  Thanks to Mean Green for a great season.  I think we should play against a sunbelt team in a bowl and that won't be easy with Troy.

This is Kiffin's first season at FAU, and Littrell's second at UNT. How can we be a couple of years behind?

No, this is a matter of FAU having recruited better over the years leading up to Kiffin's arrival, and FAU having better offensive and defensive schemes.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is Kiffin's first season at FAU, and Littrell's second at UNT. How can we be a couple of years behind?

No, this is a matter of FAU having recruited better over the years leading up to Kiffin's arrival, and FAU having better offensive and defensive schemes.

Again, obviously seems FAU's prior staff recruited better & more players with speed than what DMac left behind for SL. 

I know this is America and we always have to blame somebody and we usually do, but I choose to blame the ones who were here prior to Seth Littrell who (seemedly) were not planning on staying long in Denton so they recruited that way in the end and eventually sprung a Portland State on us for all to see.  Just sayin'...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

FAU is just better than us especially upfront.  Their QB had clean pockets most of the day.  They ran when they needed to and we could not get pressure.

As for being out coached, I've never been sold on our defense even during the winning streak.  We have to blitz to get pressure and FAU has the athletes to punish you when we do. Not a good matchup for us.

Still a great season, but defensively we have some things to address in the offseason to keep this thing rolling.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Again, seems FAU prior staff recruited better & more players with speed than what DMac left behind for SL. 

I know this is America and we always have to blame somebody and we usually do, but I choose to blame the ones who were here prior to Seth Littrell who (seemedly) were not planning on staying long in Denton so they recruited that way in the end and eventually sprung a Portland State on us for all to see.  Just sayin'...

You just rewrote what I had written.

Also, I think the schemes played an important part in our embarrassing loss today.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

You just rewrote what I had written.

Also, I think the schemes played an important part in our embarrassing loss today.

Senior moment of being redundant all over again?  It's humbling & many times embarrassing to get old, but at least I still have some memory left in the Mean Green Moments part of my brain--the rest is probably all gray matter.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

I guess we better fire our coach and hire a new costume designer.  So Ben did you order your FAU t-shirt yet?

18 hours ago, meangreenthirteen said:

Yeah, this is where I am. Definitely A+ mascot work. C- costume work.

25 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The LAST THREEEE years FAU was 3-9. Elaborate your point. Because given the opponent of today it's invalid. 

• Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

FAU’s  problem has not been a lack of talent, they’ve had lots of talent. They have had issues with coaching. Lane comes in and the talent is maximized.  Combine that with transfers with very sketchy backgrounds you can stock  the shelf real quick 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

I guess we better fire our coach and hire a new costume designer.  So Ben did you order your FAU t-shirt yet?

I'm about as far from a t-shirt fan as you will ever find. Cute, though, I guess? I'm a, "if you aint with us then F you" kind of person. 

But, I can agree a bit with you..We should definitely send Reffet packing bags tonight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Senior moment of being redundant all over again?  It's humbling & many times embarrassing to get old, but at least I still have some memory left in the Mean Green Moments part of my brain--the rest is probably all gray matter.

GMG!

Ha! I do it all the time too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

FAU’s  problem has not been a lack of talent, they’ve had lots of talent. They have had issues with coaching. Lane comes in and the talent is maximized.  Combine that with transfers with very sketchy backgrounds you can stock  the shelf real quick 

I've stated this in this very thread. 

Our recruiting hasn't progressed at all, and like everyone likes to beat the drum we have went from 1 wins to 9 in two years. So, are you saying, that recruiting actually does matter?