DRC: On eve of title game, UNT appears locked into New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

I'm wondering if this ties in with Seth's goals. I remember there were 3...undefeated at home, bowl win and something else. So maybe he's just shooting for the most winnable bowl to meet his annual goals?

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

To insinuate that they don't have NT's best interest in mind simply because they didn't go here, without any factual evidence IS stupid. There's really no other way to put it.

I mean there is some really special levels of stupid going down in his thread....like weapons-grade stupidity.

• Upvote 2

Then explain to me how it's even reasonable to pick the New Orleans Bowl before we have played in the c-usa championship game? If we win that game we are 10 and 3. With the possibility of going 11 and 3. And you want to tell me somehow that we can't get a match up in a bowl that has more Prestige than the New Orleans Bowl. The first bowl of the bowl season. As I stated before last year we were 5 and 7 and played Army and the HoD Bowl. So now you want me to believe that the HoD doesn't want us back, where I know they can put Texas or Texas Tech or K State in their bowl game, and hopefully sell out the freaking Cotton Bowl. And I'm the stupid uneducated one. And I can't question the motives of our prestigious ad department or UNT Administration. Evidence by the last 50 years of how they've handled UNT Sports. Really. And I'm the stupid uneducated one. Go figure. I guess y'all do math everyday that two plus two equals freaking five. And yes I did this post on voice recognition so it's not going to be perfect.

• Upvote 1

It's a let-down to return to New Orleans again and play anyone from the Sun Belt in a bowl game...seems like this team is primed to beat someone from a bigger conference on a somewhat national stage, shame to go head-to-head with a lower tier conference...however, New Orleans is a fun city, really enjoyed those trips, although I haven't visited there since Katrina...let's put together a few winning seasons and see what bowls are available then, Dodgeball and McCarney really impacted our program in a bad way, still have some work to do.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTMike81 said:

Then explain to me how it's even reasonable to pick the New Orleans Bowl before we have played in the c-usa championship game? If we win that game we are 10 and 3. With the possibility of going 11 and 3. And you want to tell me somehow that we can't get a match up in a bowl that has more Prestige than the New Orleans Bowl. The first bowl of the bowl season. As I stated before last year we were 5 and 7 and played Army and the HoD Bowl. So now you want me to believe that the HoD doesn't want us back, where I know they can put Texas or Texas Tech or K State in their bowl game, and hopefully sell out the freaking Cotton Bowl. And I'm the stupid uneducated one. And I can't question the motives of our prestigious ad department or UNT Administration. Evidence by the last 50 years of how they've handled UNT Sports. Really. And I'm the stupid uneducated one. Go figure. I guess y'all do math everyday that two plus two equals freaking five. And yes I did this post on voice recognition so it's not going to be perfect.

WE CAN ONLY GO TO BOWL GAMES THAT HAVE A CUSA TIE IN, UNLESS THERE IS SOME SWAPPING.  THE HOD BOWL, LIKE EVERY OTHER BOWL, WHEN POSSIBLE, WOULD PREFER TO HAVE A P5 MATCHUP.

For the record, I never called you stupid or uneducated. I said the comment was stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

#olddenton

Sorry to those with sentimental memories if the Sunbelt runs, but if given the choice, I would take the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Army over going to the New Orleans Bowl...but I’d hope for a better offer than that.

Yep, give me army in game #4 over any SBC

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

So let me get this straight. Even if we win tomorrow and have first pick we still take the worst choice available (early game in a cavernous empty stadium against a conference we want to distance from versus a team no one cares about that will probably be favored over us). And meanwhile we give FAU a game against a P5 school about 4 hours closer for our fans than New Orleans in a stadium that would be absolutely packed. If that is actually what is happening (and I'm still having a hard time digesting it) the fans deserve a full, on the record explanation from our administration. 

Agreed.. the logic of passing up Indy for NO is dumb.. 

9 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Hate it, but if that's what the coaching staff and players want. They earned that right. 

You Do they earn if they get blown out again at FAU? 

7 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

If its in New Orleans i won't be there.

You, me, and many many more..

7 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I just feel uneasy about the possibility of the athletic department and the team already deciding on a bowl regardless of the outcome of tomorrow’s game. So then why play tomorrow? I just don’t want to see North Texas get skunked by half time. I hope that makes sense. 

GMG

It’s very possible it could happen

4 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

I'm wondering if this ties in with Seth's goals. I remember there were 3...undefeated at home, bowl win and something else. So maybe he's just shooting for the most winnable bowl to meet his annual goals?

If playing in maybe the worst bowl in CUSA is his 3rd goal, let’s hope he gets signed away

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Because it's the easy way to cop out of the truth. Littrell and Baker and eager to turn heads and they want easier match ups. The scheduling debacles that have gone on over the last year solidifies that. 

BG, a scheduling debacle over just this last year?  How about a scheduling debacle since we moved into Apogee with the promise that upon its completion we'd get better OOC foes in Denton?   Well, 7 (?)  year old football program UTSA has schooled us on how to schedule high profile OOC foes, but their city shows up for their higher profile games and powers down when they (like us) play CUSA foes.  AND...last I checked, the OOC games we had at Fouts are still much more impressive than we've had at fabulous Apogee Stadium BUT in all fairness.....that's not on Wren Baker's plate, yet.  He's still unpacking his bags & only in his 2'nd year as a UNT employee at dear old alma mater.   (The best time to have scheduled the "Big Boys" at Apogee is not when your going to your 2'nd bowl in a row, but probably around much of DMac's tenure when we were sucking hind teat). THERE!  I SAID IT!  (M. Levin)

Yet I sometimes feel higher education  bureaucrats are just as much bull-shiiter's and no better than Congress who lie to their constituents when running for office but completely go rogue & say "kiss our derriers'" when they get back to their Washington D.C. country clubs celeb-status existence. (Ted Cruz said his major disappointment when first elected was how Congress"persons" spend 80% of their time raising monies for their next re-election campaigns and a whopping 20% for guess who--us.......their constituents.  The swamp is a cesspool & has been  for decades.  Turning any bureaucrat loose with our tax monies can be a most dangerous & expensive thing--even at the public universities level.   

GMG!

BEAT FAU Beginning in about 4 Hours ! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

8 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

Looking forward to supporting the Mean Green in a bowl game.

i love how so many people here know so much.  The champion and runner up only get to pick from the CUSA bowls (or an add on if a bowl bowl can’t fill and invited them).  None of the CUSA bowls is obligated to invite the champion or runner up.  At this point the AD knows which of the bowls will invite us, and which ones did not.  HOD and Ind did not invite us, so that leaves other CUSA bowls to choose from.  Boca wanted florida or close by teams that would bring fans, so not a choice for us that far.  We essentially had NOB or NM.  

You have a source for this, or just guessing?

... because with all the moving parts around bowl selections, I don’t believe that.

I think the kids really want to travel this Bowl Season. They earned it. 

I’m just bummed out a great season leaves this team with very little options.  NOLA Bowl vs stAte would be the matchup I would prefer if it has to be a game against the SBC. 

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

Gnashnab

Gnashnab is an 18th century northern English word, meaning "someone who [just] complains all the time." Contemporary synonyms include nitpicker, moaner, and grumbler. It's just as true now as it was back then—no one likes a gnashnab.

What about when a Grumpy Old Man is spot on more times than  much smarter younger alums want to admit?  See my new signature, RiseUNT. 

What mature thinkers who've been around the Mean Green scene awhile can do is not go hog wild going into name-calling when the other much smarter (younger & much more hip) group knows in their heart of hearts that they've been proven to be mostly wrong (sometimes, but not all the time). 

UNT Athletics is hardly a rocket science situation.  Our problem has mostly been hiring the wrong people most of the last half century, then give them pay raises as they set low goals sometimes actually meeting some of them while telling the world how * shitty our (then) facilities were but still leaving Denton well under .500 with their career performances and then............others  getting to stay on the pay roll much too long almost as if UNT were a State-Assisted Living Retirement Village.  (Come on now, admit it, UNT has been a pretty sweet situation for some who didn't really have to produce much to be able to stay---Casepoint:  the ones who keep sticking around what has mostly been a losing athletic program the last quarter a century). 

There is hope with this present group unless they get 'tooken' aside by the OldDenton crowd on & off campus who then go into their Stepford Eagles catatonic stare mode saying...."we just don't things like that up here & neither should you &.....we have years and years of sub .500 W/L records to prove it--if you doubt us."  

GMG!

Fry had the worst facilities in our modern NCAA football history, but still did quite alright; especially in the area of recruiting.  He had no self-imposed barriers; he never said "we can't recruit DFW"  and never said "I can recruit where my former employer SMU recruited successfully" (as in Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange)------------wish we could have kept him another 6 years & he'd had a stadium like Apogee to recruit to.

OldDenton?  One OldDenton type who posts regularly has had the audacity of saying what Fry did in Denton was unimpressive?  That's OldDenton for you--THINK SMALL--GET SMALLER!  (Fry had the Hawkeyes in the Rose Bowl his 3'rd year at Iowa) 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

He/She said that the bowl tie invites who they want, not the winner selecting their bowl. It's exactly what was said. 

Again, don’t let facts get in your way.  It’s actually posted on the board here so its well documented.  What was said is, the winner gets to pick from amongst the bowls that invite them.  That is far different than saying “the bowl gets to pick the CUSA winner”.

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

He/She said that the bowl tie invites who they want, not the winner selecting their bowl. It's exactly what was said. 

7 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

Again, don’t let facts get in your way.  It’s actually posted on the board here so its well documented.  What was said is, the winner gets to pick from amongst the bowls that invite them.  That is far different than saying “the bowl gets to pick the CUSA winner”.

OOOOOK. 

me'thinks it will be the New Orleans Bowl based on one of our best alums who has already booked his hotel in the Big Easy.  He didn't do that on a whim--he does have the connections. 

Oh well.....bowl selection damage control now upcoming on GMG.com after the offical announcement!   

Hey!  Aren't we spoiled though?  Complaining about which bowl?  LOL! 

WTH!  We are upwardly bound Americans & always want what's best for our country and, yes,.....our collegiate alma mater, too.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

me'thinks it will be the New Orleans Bowl based on one of our best alums who has already booked his hotel in the Big Easy.  He didn't do that on a whim--he does have the connections. 

Oh well.....bowl selection damage control now upcoming on GMG.com after the offical announcement!   

Hey!  Aren't we spoiled though?  Complaining about which bowl?  LOL! 

WTH!  We are upwardly bound Americans & always want what's best for our country and, yes,.....our collegiate alma mater, too.

GMG!

It's not the bowl that is the complaint, it's the potential opponent. Not to sound Ivy League, but we're better than playing the Belt at 9-4. But a 10-3 CUSA champion deserves a much better situation. It makes me almost sort of kind of want us to lose today to avoid being pissed off at the latter scenario. 

• Downvote 2