DRC: On eve of title game, UNT appears locked into New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

I don’t get the whole “it’s what the players want” logic. I highly doubt the players are salivating at the chance to take on mighty Troy University. 

Again, I’m sure they were told, what would you prefer, the NO Bowl or the NM Bowl if those are the choices for us...I’d pick NO a million times over Breaking Bad-Land...

What they are not saying is they want that over playing in the HoD Bowl or Indy Bowl against a P5...

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Again, I’m sure they were told, what would you prefer, the NO Bowl or the NM Bowl if those are the choices for us...I’d pick NO a million times over Breaking Bad-Land...

What they are not saying is they want that over playing in the HoD Bowl or Indy Bowl against a P5...

This is where the mistake was made. They should have played their cards close to the vest and waited out until at least after the CUSA champ game tomorrow to cement plans. A good showing in a FBS conference championship game opens doors. They decided to take the path of least resistance. 

• Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Too tough of a game on our players and too difficult for our coaches to game plan...Ask Wren Baker, he'll tell ya. Also why we have 5 OOC games scheduled now for an upcoming year...Army is about to get the boot again.

Rain down votes on this post all you want, but WB said verbatim that it's too tough on the players and in the same breath said it's too difficult on the coaching staff to game plan for. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, vpackrats said:

I'm more of a reader than a commenter on this board but sometimes I wonder if people realize how hypocritical some of their posts are?  For months we hear stuff like "Man, screw SMU -- they always look down on us & think they're so much better than us" -- or -- "Man, why does school X always try & blow us off?  Their fans' message board keeps talking about how they have nothing to gain & everything to lose by playing us or Conference USA.  Eff them!".  

NOW: "Man, screw Troy -- we're so much better than them -- or -- "Man, why would we play anyone from the Belt?  We have nothing to gain & everything to lose by playing Troy or the Sun Belt.  Eff them!".

Can we at least please be consistent?  I'm got a neck brace on due to the extreme whiplash of reading these posts.

Better put some ice on that shoulder from patting yourself on the back.

With a few exceptions, the majority don't want to play a SBC team because we need to be focusing on playing teams in conference that is perceived as above CUSA, not because we think that Troy is beneath us.

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Rain down votes on this post all you want, but WB said verbatim that it's too tough on the players and in the same breath said it's too difficult on the coaching staff to game plan for. 

Yeah, you lose 3-4 starters to injury every time you play a triple option team.  I want nothing to do with that series ever again, nor any military service academy.  

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

Yeah, you lose 3-4 starters to injury every time you play a triple option team.  I want nothing to do with that series ever again, nor any military service academy.  

For sure, but his wording could have been more tactful and the play on in scheduling is starting to become tiresome. They are maneuvering their way to W's...The easiest way possible. Sure, get your W's but don't get them at the expense of the fan base. And if you are going to do it at the expense of the fan base, don't feed us shit and call it steak. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Rudy said:

because saying the president, athletic director, and head coach don't have NT's best interest in mind because they didn't go to UNT is moronic.

What if they don't? What if they actually do have their own interest(s) prioritized over the University's interest? Like, I don't know, Jimbo Fisher. Or, for shits and giggles, say Phillip Fulmer. 

We, the fans, have far and away more interest and passion for this University than the aforementioned. Let's not act like administrators and/or coaches don't throw deuces up and high tail it out of X town every. single. offseason. 

• Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This was not the best option. This was predetermined by this athletic administration regardless of the outcome of the game tomorrow. It was a safety net that they decided to take regardless of the outcome. Watch 6-6 LaTech or 8-4 CUSA West Division Loser SoMiss play in the Independence bowl. 

So tell us all knowing one, which bowls did we get actually get an invite from that we are turning down that’s better?  HOd is all set and IND  already has plans that don’t include UNT regardless of CCG outcome, so what’s this amazingly obvious better plan you have?

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is where the mistake was made. They should have played their cards close to the vest and waited out until at least after the CUSA champ game tomorrow to cement plans. A good showing in a FBS conference championship game opens doors. They decided to take the path of least resistance. 

Completely and utterly false.  That’s not at all how the process works.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

So tell us all knowing one, which bowls did we get actually get an invite from that we are turning down that’s better?  HOd is all set and IND  already has plans that don’t include UNT regardless of CCG outcome, so what’s this amazingly obvious better plan you have?

I'm the all knowing one...

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, meangreanmick said:

Completely and utterly false.  That’s not at all how the process works.

CUSA champ has their pick of the litter. If they win, they could've chosen their tie in bowl and chatter of bowl tie in opponents by 3 or 4pm tomorrow will start to become crystal clear. 

• Downvote 1

Rudy & untjim1995,

Glad y'all think what I wrote of the "Stupidest thing you've ever read". It's been stated now by 2 journalist that UNT Bowl destination has already been determined and UNT hasn't even played C-USA championship game yet. Then, not matter the outcome a 10-3 UNT football team is destined for the "NO Bowl", so players and fans can look forward to partying instead of playing a P5. team.

When this is all said and done you're going to see another team from the C-USA play a P5 team with good conference or national name recognition other than FAU. As it stands now that other C-USA team won't be UNT no matter if we're 9-4, or 10-3. UNT beat every other C-USA team but FAU. That's going to be a real kick in the pants to UNT players, and should be to Seth Littrell, our AD, the UNT administration, and anyone else with a brain.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to hear Seth Littrell's speech to the football team players tomorrow before the C-USA championship game knowing that it's already been predetermined that UNT will be playing in the NO Bowl, no matter the opponent.

I would say more but both of you think my posts on this matter are "ridiculous"!! Shazam!!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

CUSA champ has their pick of the litter. If they win, they could've chosen their tie in bowl and chatter of bowl tie in opponents by 3 or 4pm tomorrow will start to become crystal clear. 

Champ gets pick ONLY of the bowls that will invite them.  They don’t get to pick any bowl they want.  Anyone that has reported that is incorrect.  Both FAU and UNT have already been told those bowls in their hypothetica win or lose scenario.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

Rudy & untjim1995,

Glad y'all think what I wrote of the "Stupidest thing you've ever read". It's been stated now by 2 journalist that UNT Bowl destination has already been determined and UNT hasn't even played C-USA championship game yet. Then, not matter the outcome a 10-3 UNT football team is destined for the "NO Bowl", so players and fans can look forward to partying instead of playing a P5. team.

When this is all said and done you're going to see another team from the C-USA play a P5 team with good conference or national name recognition other than FAU. As it stands now that other C-USA team won't be UNT no matter if we're 9-4, or 10-3. UNT beat every other C-USA team but FAU. That's going to be a real kick in the pants to UNT players, and should be to Seth Littrell, our AD, the UNT administration, and anyone else with a brain.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to hear Seth Littrell's speech to the football team players tomorrow before the C-USA championship game knowing that it's already been predetermined that UNT will be playing in the NO Bowl, no matter the opponent.

I would say more but both of you think my posts on this matter are "ridiculous"!! Shazam!!!

You’re right...they are ridiculous...

2 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

Champ gets pick ONLY of the bowls that will invite them.  They don’t get to pick any bowl they want.  Anyone that has reported that is incorrect.  Both FAU and UNT have already been told those bowls in their hypothetica win or lose scenario.

Then it's being reported wrong on countless sports news outlets around the country...

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/01/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-conference-2017-2018

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yes, this is true. But it's lost a bit of its meaning a bit, yeah? Win/lose/draw we're playing in NO, apparently. There isn't a flying red carpet awaiting the winner of this game to carry us aloft into a dream bowl date. 

The conference championship in itself would be a great achievement.  

• Upvote 1

Oh, So I'm supposed to believe that the HoD, or Independence bowl doesn't want a possible 10-3 team that's 1-1 against FAU, beat Army, was ahead of Iowa at the half and beat every other C-USA school. Then has probably 200,000 to 300,000 plus alumni in the state of Texas to buy tickets to there bowl game. But in there bowl committee's infatuate wisdom has pasted on UNT as a bowl invitee. Really, that's what I'm supposed to believe!! OMG, I'm not that freaking stupid.

Independence Bowl may want La Tech, but UNT would put just as many fans in the stands as La Tech. and be much more profitable for the business owners in Shreveport. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTMike81 said:

Oh, So I'm supposed to believe that the HoD, or Independence bowl doesn't want a possible 10-3 team that's 1-1 against FAU, beat Army, was ahead of Iowa at the half and beat every other C-USA school. Then has probably 200,000 to 300,000 plus alumni in the state of Texas to buy tickets to there bowl game. But in there bowl committee's infatuate wisdom has pasted on UNT as a bowl invitee. Really, that's what I'm supposed to believe!! OMG, I'm not that freaking stupid.

Independence Bowl may want La Tech, but UNT would put just as many fans in the stands as La Tech. and be much more profitable for the business owners in Shreveport. 

UNT would double up LaTech attendance right now in any bowl. LaTech faithful are down in the dumps.....And still going bowling.