DRC: On eve of title game, UNT appears locked into New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

16 minutes ago, DemolitionDan said:

I will be there and for anyone else who has the capability of making it - hopefully you’ll be there. I predicted 5-7 at the beginning of the year with no bowl. These guys worked their tails off and went 9-3.... 9-3!!!! Regardless of why that bowl was chosen You bet your ass I’m down to go have a little fun on Bourbon and squeeze in one last chance to watch this team live.

Ok. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Go figure, the president of UNT, isn't an alumni of UNT, our athletic director didn't go to UNT, nothing against our current coach because he's done a great job, didn't go to UNT. So how hard are these guys really going to fight for the right to play a P5 team from Texas. They don't really understand what it means to beat UT, Texas Tech, or K State for that matter. Or bust their rear end giving it a shot.

All of the current Administration and folks in the athletic department all have bigger and better dreams for themselves. And again it's just little old UNT. Will Pawn those guys off on the Sunbelt with a 9 and 4 10 in 3 record.

And by God they'll like it. And will say it's where the players want to go. The players don't have a darn choice in this matter. If we go to the New Orleans bowl with this kind of record. The administration in the athletic department at UNT will have sold us out. I did this post with my voice recognition on my phone. So nobody needs to tell me about grammar errors and stuff like that. Sickening, the first game of the freaking bowl season. That didn't even happen when we were 5 and 7 last year. Will go to the New Orleans Bowl I guess, but it's a slap in the face. And everybody's trying to give it some glossy window dressing, but it's like lipstick on a pig.

Oh, if we go to the New Orleans Bowl it's a sure-fire way to depress turn out at apogee for next year. You can bet on that. Just like you can bet on Seth leaving at the first chance he gets. Because he'll know in his heart when he has a great season, it won't matter we'll get stuck in the New Orleans Bowl!! How the heck do you keep a good coach with logic like that. If we keep this good run going with a good team no wonder P5 schools pick off  4 of our assistant coach's a year and then when our head coach puts several great seasons together that could be special for our program. Our coach has to leave because of the lack of respect UNT, gets from an athletic department perspective, and the UNT Administration. The new AD and our new coach were supposed to be different, than the old ones they replaced. Send us to the New Orleans bowl and tell me why I should believe that.

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 14

I am excited for New Orleans.  Spent the night there in the drive down to boca.  Can’t wait to hear chants of NORTH... TEXAS for 3 days straight. 

Also big pic here peeps.  This bowl actually gets some eyeballs.  I seem to be in Vegas around this time and would happen upon this game in the afternoon.  The Saturday time slot is good and the sports books were busy with betters excited to cash in on bowl season.  You also had the casual fans stopping and watching the games from their table and the floor.  

Look I wanted a p5 too but UNT can make a nice impact with this bang bang exposure.  They are on ESPN 2 tomorrow live from boca and in 2 weeks will be live from New Orleans - 2 outstanding destinations and if we make good noise we are a solid story heading into the offseason.  I did not like the date of HOD right after Christmas and Shreveport my working family couldn’t make.  With New Orleans we already have hotels booked and travel arrangements made for the weekend.  

I will be there ready to partake in all the festivities! 

GMG

• Upvote 3

Looking forward to supporting the Mean Green in a bowl game.

i love how so many people here know so much.  The champion and runner up only get to pick from the CUSA bowls (or an add on if a bowl bowl can’t fill and invited them).  None of the CUSA bowls is obligated to invite the champion or runner up.  At this point the AD knows which of the bowls will invite us, and which ones did not.  HOD and Ind did not invite us, so that leaves other CUSA bowls to choose from.  Boca wanted florida or close by teams that would bring fans, so not a choice for us that far.  We essentially had NOB or NM.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

Looking forward to supporting the Mean Green in a bowl game.

i love how so many people here know so much.  The champion and runner up only get to pick from the CUSA bowls (or an add on if a bowl bowl can’t fill and invited them).  None of the CUSA bowls is obligated to invite the champion or runner up.  At this point the AD knows which of the bowls will invite us, and which ones did not.  HOD and Ind did not invite us, so that leaves other CUSA bowls to choose from.  Boca wanted florida or close by teams that would bring fans, so not a choice for us that far.  We essentially had NOB or NM.  

If that is how it is, then so be it. The question then becomes WHY other bowls aren't interested. But for the time being at least that is not how Brett Vito is reporting the situation or the process. 

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

So let me get this straight. Even if we win tomorrow and have first pick we still take the worst choice available (early game in a cavernous empty stadium against a conference we want to distance from versus a team no one cares about that will probably be favored over us). And meanwhile we give FAU a game against a P5 school about 4 hours closer for our fans than New Orleans in a stadium that would be absolutely packed. If that is actually what is happening (and I'm still having a hard time digesting it) the fans deserve a full, on the record explanation from our administration. 

Damn right we would deserve the explanation and the players "chose it" is nothing close to good enough. And if we win tomorrow and still play in the NO Bowl vs Sun Belt Tech you can count me out. The value, even for a die hard fan, is not there for me to further consider this game with a conference championship tacked onto the resume. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Silent Eagle said:

The players want it- they don’t owe us an explanation. 

The players want the opportunity to go play Sun Belt U? Competitors compete, right? True competitors want the toughest task placed in front of them with an opportunity to prove people wrong, right? What am I missing? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Shazam, there's a bunch of people in the UNT athletic department, and in the administration that think the UNT fans must be pretty stupid. If we go to the New Orleans Bowl after season like this, because we've been forced to, so be it. But someone's going to have to come out and tell us the truth after the dust settles. The UNT faithful aren't this dumb and stupid. Oh, maybe some are but you can't count me in that group of people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

So let me get this straight. Even if we win tomorrow and have first pick we still take the worst choice available (early game in a cavernous empty stadium against a conference we want to distance from versus a team no one cares about that will probably be favored over us). And meanwhile we give FAU a game against a P5 school about 4 hours closer for our fans than New Orleans in a stadium that would be absolutely packed. If that is actually what is happening (and I'm still having a hard time digesting it) the fans deserve a full, on the record explanation from our administration. 

Haha what are you smoking? What makes you think we'd have more fans in Shreveport for a 12:30 kick on a Wednesday than a Saturday in NOLA? 

This whole argument is ridiculous. Some posters here need to get off their high horse and GTF over themselves. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

For what it's worth, If the CUSA selection process (meaning the order of bowl selection by top teams) actually works materially differently than is being reported by Vito, then that is a game changer as far what fan reaction should be to the situation as a whole. 

No matter what happens with the bowls (and yes, I'll be frustrated if it's the NOB against a sun belt team) winning the next two games is the most important thing.

Go Mean Green! Beat FAU!

• Upvote 1

Hate this so much. Our goal should be playing a P5 team, wherever. We have our best season in decades and we’re gonna play a Sunbelt team? If this is our best option then Wren needs to get us the hell out of CUSA and into a new conference.

I’d rather play Army again.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, cdizzle86 said:

Hate this so much. Our goal should be playing a P5 team, wherever. We have our best season in decades and we’re gonna play a Sunbelt team? If this is our best option then Wren needs to get us the hell out of CUSA and into a new conference.

This was not the best option. This was predetermined by this athletic administration regardless of the outcome of the game tomorrow. It was a safety net that they decided to take regardless of the outcome. Watch 6-6 LaTech or 8-4 CUSA West Division Loser SoMiss play in the Independence bowl. 

• Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Haha what are you smoking? What makes you think we'd have more fans in Shreveport for a 12:30 kick on a Wednesday than a Saturday in NOLA? 

This whole argument is ridiculous. Some posters here need to get off their high horse and GTF over themselves. 

Touché. I'll concede the independence bowl may not be overflowing. But I believe wholeheartedly there would be more green (and not even close) for Shreveport against an ACC school over Troy in New Orleans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

While we are here locked into an absolutely meaningless debate about a bowl game.   A much more important game IMO is going to happen tomorrow.  

Yes, this is true. But it's lost a bit of its meaning a bit, yeah? Win/lose/draw we're playing in NO, apparently. There isn't a flying red carpet awaiting the winner of this game to carry us aloft into a dream bowl date. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

I’d rather play Army again.

Too tough of a game on our players and too difficult for our coaches to game plan...Ask Wren Baker, he'll tell ya. Also why we have 5 OOC games scheduled now for an upcoming year...Army is about to get the boot again.

• Downvote 4

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I can tell you in my world it will be much easier to do Wednesday the 27th of December, than worry about the last weekend before Christmas shopping, company holiday parties and graduations vs a dead week mid day. For most that I know it would be ten times easier, plus Shreveport is closer, cheaper and fun playing a higher profile bowl. 

The Superdome is a old stinking hole last I was there. But that was 2004

1 hour ago, UNTMike81 said:

Go figure, the president of UNT, isn't an alumni of UNT, our athletic director didn't go to UNT, nothing against our current coach because he's done a great job, didn't go to UNT. So how hard are these guys really going to fight for the right to play a P5 team from Texas. They don't really understand what it means to beat UT, Texas Tech, or K State for that matter. Or bust their rear end giving it a shot.

Oh. My. God. Are you serious?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I don’t get the whole “it’s what the players want” logic. I highly doubt the players are salivating at the chance to take on mighty Troy University. 

Because it's the easy way to cop out of the truth. Littrell and Baker and eager to turn heads and they want easier match ups. The scheduling debacles that have gone on over the last year solidifies that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6