Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

Just now, Cerebus said:

IF we beat FAU and IF some other CUSA school plays against a P5 in a bowl game I would be upset.

I am just not sure the above chain of events is likely.  

I am inclined to believe that the Independence Bowl will have 1 P5 team in it. I am also inclined to believe that a CUSA team not named FAU or UNT will be playing in that game. Win or lose CUSA title game, a division foe of ours should not be playing in the Independence Bowl. 

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I am inclined to believe that the Independence Bowl will have 1 P5 team in it. I am also inclined to believe that a CUSA team not named FAU or UNT will be playing in that game. Win or lose CUSA title game, a division foe of ours should not be playing in the Independence Bowl. 

I shouldn't have wasted all my likes for the day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

So, UTSA played in the New Mexico Bowl as a 6-6 team last year, UNT played, and lost, in the HOD bowl as a 5-7 team, and those bowls have more prestige?  UNT also went the route of playing, and beating, another G5 in the HOD Bowl and recruiting actually took a dip the following year and perception did not improve.  Let's don't keep doing the same things we have already tried that didn't work.  That is #oldnewdenton.

#beatFAU

#newnewdenton

• Upvote 3

Based on Tweet and Harry, you'll have to go to NO Bowl and find SMU/Trump money to attend. Not a dig at President Trump. I'm a big fan of his. SMU not so much. I don't have SMU/Trump money either. Maybe as another poster posted if my grammar was better having attended UNT then I might have SMU/Trump money. Who knows.

Someone please save us from NO Bowl Hell.

Go Mean Green!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So, UTSA played in the New Mexico Bowl as a 6-6 team last year, UNT played, and lost, in the HOD bowl as a 5-7 team, and those bowls have more prestige?  UNT also went the route of playing, and beating, another G5 in the HOD Bowl and recruiting actually took a dip the following year and perception did not improve.  Let's don't keep doing the same things we have already tried that didn't work.  That is #oldnewdenton.

#beatFAU

#newnewdenton

We should have faced a Big10 team at that HOD party in 2013. Instead, we got UNLV and their 250 fans. The next year, LaTech low and behold got their Big10 team in Illinois and won going away. Since has rattled off 3 or 4 top 5 CUSA recruiting classes and winning seasons. Proof to who you play may trump who you beat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

Based on Tweet and Harry, you'll have to go to NO Bowl and find SMU/Trump money to attend. Not a dig at President Trump. I'm a big fan of his. SMU not so much. I don't have SMU/Trump money either. Maybe as another poster posted if my grammar was better having attended UNT then I might have SMU/Trump money. Who knows.

Someone please save us from NO Bowl Hell.

Go Mean Green!!

Did you ever notice Bourbon Street never has a dry spot on it at any time?  Reason?  All the puke from the night before is getting hosed down from all those numerous tourists who cannot handle their liquor.  Just thought I'd add that here around lunch time. (If it is New Orleans....bring your rubbers.....as in rain boots, of course.

• Haha 2

I don't remember beating a #17 ranked LSU this year... do any of you? Just ridiculous to me people think we're too good to play a very good Troy team in a great town. If you're going to constantly crap on our G5 brethren, don't forget you're one of them, and the rest of the country is looking at you the same way.

Happy to be in a bowl, better than New Mexico... Better than playing Army. If the staff and players are happy, I'm happy. Do my best to go if I can.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Since has rattled off 3 or 4 top 5 CUSA recruiting classes and winning seasons. Proof to who you play may trump who you beat. 

You don't think that maybe that recruiting had to do with the fact they went 48-23 in five years around that?  They won 8 games once, and 9 games 3 times in that span.  I think consistent winning had a lot to do with their recruiting.  

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We should have faced a Big10 team at that HOD party in 2013. Instead, we got UNLV and their 250 fans. The next year, LaTech low and behold got their Big10 team in Illinois and won going away. Since has rattled off 3 or 4 top 5 CUSA recruiting classes and winning seasons. Proof to who you play may trump who you beat. 

Just debunking the myth that playing another G5 in the HOD bowl as being some amazing opportunity.

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

You don't think that maybe that recruiting had to do with the fact they went 48-23 in five years around that?  They won 8 games once, and 9 games 3 times in that span.  I think consistent winning had a lot to do with their recruiting.  

Not sure he'd remember it on one of our marathon phone calls from the past, but I told Harry back then that North Texas should hire the best recruiter that La Tech had because they were busting our britches in the recruiting wars & doing so in the Lone Star State.   If that persists, we still need to hire him away because with our newfound resources we know it would be budget'able.   

• Upvote 1

I'm against the NO Bowl for solely selfish reasons---I cannot travel that day this December.

Otherwise, I almost don't care who the opponent is---a bowl trip to New Orleans is second to VERY FEW bowl destinations.  I'd take that bowl game all day, every day if it didn't conflict with my schedule.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Not sure he'd remember it on one of our marathon phone calls from the past, but I told Harry back then that North Texas should hire the best recruiter that La Tech had because they were busting our britches in the recruiting wars & doing so in the Lone Star State.   If that persists, we still need to hire him away because with our newfound resources we know it would be budget'able.   

Well, Jeff Koonz use to be one of those recruiters for La Tech, and he is now on the UNT staff, so hopefully good things are ahead.

• Upvote 3

Here we go. I have nothing against Troy. UNT is 9-3 and could be 10-3 and someone has posted tweet like our bowl fate is already determined like UAB, what a crock!!!

If this is the case UNT athletics and our UNT administration have already rolled over and accepted that FAU will beat us. That's hog wash. This team has preformed outstanding and we're being pigeon holed out of the gate.

Seth Littrell always speaks about team and goals and then I see NO bowl and the administrator of forum all like Terrific, then banner ad's for NO Bowl on site. Then I'm thinking this is a roll over even before the end of our regular season. Then I'm sold this as "The players want to go to NO Bowl", and I'm like "Really"?

This is me like bidding an RFP that I have no chance of winning. I'd be crazy not to ask myself why do through the trouble, time, and effort of bidding if I don't have a chance to win. Then everyone with the let's go to NO Bowl seem to give up before the end of the quarter mile. Like my dragster or funny car has some mechanical failure. I worked really hard on my dragster/funny car and I know there's no mechanical failure. Looks like my driver is losing his nerve. That's a BIG PROBLEM!!!

Edited by UNTMike81
misspelled word
  • Lovely Take 2

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Of course it helps. It all helps. But playing a better opponent helps more. Nothing we can do here about it no how. 

6 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Just debunking the myth that playing another G5 in the HOD bowl as being some amazing opportunity.

Sure. But if we're getting a G5 opponent regardless give me one somewhere closer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree about the 10 wins.  10 wins is a big milestone to reach, and it's going to give UNT a huge chance at GETTING RANKED IN THE TOP 25.  Beating a weak P5 would be nice, but it's also going to be a "but" that goes with it cause you beat a weak P5, or you played the P5 on a down year.  

Troy whipped a RANKED LSU in their house...but just by reading the comments on this board, Troy isn't getting any added hype.  UNT won't either by beating a weak unranked P5 that barely makes a bowl.

Back to the being ranked.  That is much more important and prestigious.  It's going to be hard to leave a 10 win team out top 25.  And for recruiting purposes, being ranked ahead of everyone else speaks for itself.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Strongly disagree. A win vs Arkansas state helps in recruiting way more than a loss or even a win to a 7-5 Wake Forest..... A Bowl win is a bowl wins. When you go in a recruits house and say we we're the 2017 NOLA bowl champs.... No kid would say but you only beat Troy... The team that upset LSU. Should have played an ACC schools. We go up against maybe one acc school a year in Recruiting. 

I'm curious to if anyone in the athletic department has considered what a loss to Arkansas State would do for us in recruiting. There is no guarantee we are going to walk right through a sun belt champ.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

Playing a Sun Belt team “looking at the bright side” is very Old Denton.  This is an extra regular season game that if they were scheduled to come to Apogee would not bump attendance in any way unless it was mid season with both of us having 1 loss or less.  Just ask a casual CFB fan not connected to CUSA or North Texas.  Offer them a free ticket to a hypothetical game in Apogee against Troy next year and see what they say.  This game is NOT going to bring any casuals.  Worse yet it fosters more of the Frat Hill game party mentality cause I bet you more than a few will make the Bowl trip to New Orleans and not even watch the game.  I am sick of that mentality and all the old heads trying to look on the bright side of this.  And this recruiting against Troy really?  Unless they are interested in getting away from Texas or they have other factors which are purely geographical we should not be losing recriuts to Troy, Arkansas St or any of  the out of state Sun Belt programs.  A few outliers like a particular academic program or just wanting to be at a smaller school could be factors but should be generally rare occurrences.  It very simple if you wouldn’t be excited to see an opponent in Apogee in the regular season stop trying to sell seeing them in whatever bowl you can come up with.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Playing a Sun Belt team “looking at the bright side” is very Old Denton.  This is an extra regular season game that if they were scheduled to come to Apogee would not bump attendance in any way unless it was mid season with both of us having 1 loss or less.  Just ask a casual CFB fan not connected to CUSA or North Texas.  Offer them a free ticket to a hypothetical game in Apogee against Troy next year and see what they say.  This game is NOT going to bring any casuals.  Worse yet it fosters more of the Frat Hill game party mentality cause I bet you more than a few will make the Bowl trip to New Orleans and not even watch the game.  I am sick of that mentality and all the old heads trying to look on the bright side of this.  And this recruiting against Troy really?  Unless they are interested in getting away from Texas or they have other factors which are purely geographical we should not be losing recriuts to Troy, Arkansas St or any of  the out of state Sun Belt programs.  A few outliers like a particular academic program or just wanting to be at a smaller school could be factors but should be generally rare occurrences.  It very simple if you wouldn’t be excited to see an opponent in Apogee in the regular season stop trying to sell seeing them in whatever bowl you can come up with.

BOOMshockalocka. Well stated. 

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I'm curious to if anyone in the athletic department has considered what a loss to Arkansas State would do for us in recruiting. There is no guarantees we are going to walk right through a sun belt champ.

Right.   Respect the heck out of @TheReal_jayD, but I disagree with the recruiting angle around a win VS ARSt > a win VS Wake.  2 different opinions.

However, I think we can all agree that a loss VS ARSt hurts recruiting a lot worse than a loss VS Wake.   Right?

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right.   Respect the heck out of @TheReal_jayD, but I disagree with the recruiting angle around a win VS ARSt > a win VS Wake.  2 different opinions.

However, I think we can all agree that a loss VS ARSt hurts recruiting a lot worse than a loss VS Wake.   Right?

It's a must win scenario for us and CUSA if we go to New Orleans. If CUSA as a conference and us as a program want to keep the upward trajectory going we can't waltz into New Orleans as the 1st or 2nd best CUSA team and lose to the top SunBelt program. It opens up the pandora box for SunBelt coaches in recruiting to tell recruits, "See, look, we're just as good and competitive as CUSA." 

• Upvote 1