Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

y'all are cute if you think "perception" of our program is going to swing dramatically among many outside of this little dysfunctional community whether we play in New Orleans or against some Big12 school in Dallas or an ACC school in Shreveport.

UNT beats Texas in HoD...do you really think the headlines will be about SL and how he's turning things around? no...it'll be how far Texas has fallen...how much work Herman has left to do...hell, what is Aggie doing today will take priority over any real media buzz for UNT. if UNT get's drilled by a Texas team I don't think we're quite ready for, it'll be same ol' UNT.

NOLA is a winnable game in a great and easily accessible travel city for a big fan turnout...especially for students post-finals. that '01-'04 run made life-time fans. 

So you're saying the perception swing from us potentially beating a big 12 team and us potentially losing to a Sunbelt team is not that big?

Yikes

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

y'all are cute if you think "perception" of our program is going to swing dramatically among many outside of this little dysfunctional community whether we play in New Orleans or against some Big12 school in Dallas or an ACC school in Shreveport.

UNT beats Texas in HoD...do you really think the headlines will be about SL and how he's turning things around? no...it'll be how far Texas has fallen...how much work Herman has left to do...hell, what is Aggie doing today will take priority over any real media buzz for UNT. if UNT get's drilled by a Texas team I don't think we're quite ready for, it'll be same ol' UNT.

NOLA is a winnable game in a great and easily accessible travel city for a big fan turnout...especially for students post-finals. that '01-'04 run made life-time fans. 

Uh.. yeah I really do think that would happen. Plus the fact that we beat Texas in a national  spotlight. More people paying attention to who North Texas is, Seth Littrell becoming the greatest coach our program has ever had.

Texas would have their meltdown.. yes.. And headlines in lots of places would dwell on it. But saying that beating Texas in a bowl and our perception would not dramatically swing, is ridiculous.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So you're saying the perception swing from us potentially beating a big 12 team and us potentially losing to a Sunbelt team is not that big?

Yikes

it's just Old Denton mentality talking. 

Losing to Troy = Beating UT-Austin. No change, no uptick in anything, just a blob of equality. 

• Downvote 3

If we beat Texas the HoD I know that press coverage would be fantastic no matter what. Reporters might even reference the 88 game when UNT/NTSU at the time should have won against Texas, but the officials on the UT payroll prevented that!!

I don't care how much rebuilding Tom Herman has to do at UT. If we beat UT the prospect for Seth Littrell recruiting along with our entire coaching staff would be much easier. Then maybe many on the forum would see UNT winning recruiting battles with players that have respectable offers from other TX, and national schools. What a change of pace that would be.

Edited by UNTMike81
grammar
  • Downvote 1

So im not sure where all this "We have a chance to play TT or UT in the HOD bowl comes from".  CUSA is not a contracted conference to the HOD bowl this year.  PERIOD!!!!   Therefore, Its not likely to happen.  1% chance at best.

Just because i bunch of people project us in HOD bowl, you have to remember they don't do much research outside the top 5-6 bowls, if that, and more so, I'm guessing, don't realize the HOD bowl isn't a CUSA bowl anymore this year.

Same can be said for the Independence Bowl.  It is not a CUSA bowl.  Yes, they had representatives at a couple of our games, but that was also when it looked like their respective conference ties would not be able to fill their slots, it now appears that they will, so again a 1% chance to play there at best.

Look at the CUSA bowl tie ins and tell me where you would rather go instead of New Orleans?  Boca (3 times in 1 year),  Bahamas (Already off the table), St. Petersburg?, Fort Worth (playing army for he 4th time in 2 years)?, or New Mexico?

Lets face it, those are our options.  Could there be some backdoor negotiating and moving happen, YES, but we are not privy to those negotiations, and they last thing we want to do is pull a LA Tech and get left out of a bowl.  

Remember, there are more bowl eligible teams than bowl games this year.  Someone is getting left out, if we get picky and try and overplay our hand, then we could be one of those teams sitting at home.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

They both want out. They both know that sustainability with shit recruiting is going to be about as difficult as a paper bag holding water. It'll contain it for a very, very short amount of time. Then rips happen and eventually it busts. They know a 10 win season here will open eye balls and people will be watching next year closely and they also know that we will compete next year. They are writing their own future checks at the expense and dismay of the fans. 

Hopefully not, BG.  

Yet I have always thought that the UNT athletic dept. that never wanted to tackle our attendance problems and create a (never done before) newly formed multi-staffed Promotions Dept. yet rather chose to kick our Att. woes down the road for the next regime might not always be unpacking all their bags once in Denton.

One would think that one of the main obstacles that's kept other more viable conferences from probably taking us serious come NCAA re-alignment time would be a main priority as to solve.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Please stop with the idea that UNT is choosing to play in New Orleans over playing Texas or TTech or whatever other P5.  I don't see anything posted anywhere other than this super awesome thread that even hints at that reality.

This process of making up wild, unsubstantiated rumors and then denigrating anyone and everyone over supposed support of said unsubstantiated rumor is so...#olddenton.  Much more #olddenton than typical #olddenton thinking.

Please rest assured that if there is an opportunity to play UT-Austin or University of Lubuttocks, or some other P5 that we will take full advantage. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

it's just Old Denton mentality talking. 

god, this is so tired.

all of you who want everything right now and think you're part of something revolutionary because of it...it's so insular and myopic. 

change takes time and building something sustainable even more time. college football is littered with programs that win 9-10 games one year and are right back in the dregs a year or two later. look at UCF...Bortles years they're a BCS-buster...a few years later they're winless...now they're undefeated again, their coach is gonna bounce and they'll be back to the dregs. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

So im not sure where all this "We have a chance to play TT or UT in the HOD bowl comes from".  CUSA is not a contracted conference to the HOD bowl this year.  PERIOD!!!!   Therefore, Its not likely to happen.  1% chance at best.

Just because i bunch of people project us in HOD bowl, you have to remember they don't do much research outside the top 5-6 bowls, if that, and more so, I'm guessing, don't realize the HOD bowl isn't a CUSA bowl anymore this year.

Same can be said for the Independence Bowl.  It is not a CUSA bowl.  Yes, they had representatives at a couple of our games, but that was also when it looked like their respective conference ties would not be able to fill their slots, it now appears that they will, so again a 1% chance to play there at best.

Look at the CUSA bowl tie ins and tell me where you would rather go instead of New Orleans?  Boca (3 times in 1 year),  Bahamas (Already off the table), St. Petersburg?, Fort Worth (playing army for he 4th time in 2 years)?, or New Mexico?

Lets face it, those are our options.  Could there be some backdoor negotiating and moving happen, YES, but we are not privy to those negotiations, and they last thing we want to do is pull a LA Tech and get left out of a bowl.  

Remember, there are more bowl eligible teams than bowl games this year.  Someone is getting left out, if we get picky and try and overplay our hand, then we could be one of those teams sitting at home.

There will be at large teams playing in bowls that aren't connected to X teams conference. It WILL either be the HOD of Independence. That is why some projections are throwing us, SoMiss, LaTech, and/or UTSA in one or both of these bowls. Because it IS a strong possibility that one of those 4 teams ends up in one of the above bowls. And we've basically conceded out of those 2 bowls to get to NO to play Troy/Astate because 10 wins and shit. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

god, this is so tired.

all of you who want everything right now and think you're part of something revolutionary because of it...it's so insular and myopic. 

change takes time and building something sustainable even more time. college football is littered with programs that win 9-10 games one year and are right back in the dregs a year or two later. look at UCF...Bortles years they're a BCS-buster...a few years later they're winless...now they're undefeated again, their coach is gonna bounce and they'll be back to the dregs. 

^ More Old Denton talking points. 

• Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Just a reminder, Troy beat LSU this season and is 9-2 heading into the Belt championship game against Ark State.  This will not be an easy game folks.

This is my worry. We risk losing to a SBC team and all of the progress made this year goes down the drain.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This is one of our best teams we have had and it has been an awesome season BUT, are we ready to take on a p5 like Texas Tech, K-State or Texas? 

#OldDenton

There is a lot more parity amongst the 6-6 dregs of the P5s to the top of of the G5s than I think many realize.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Strongly disagree. A win vs Arkansas state helps in recruiting way more than a loss or even a win to a 7-5 Wake Forest..... A Bowl win is a bowl wins. When you go in a recruits house and say we we're the 2017 NOLA bowl champs.... No kid would say but you only beat Troy... The team that upset LSU. Should have played an ACC schools. We go up against maybe one acc school a year in Recruiting. 

I doubt a win against what would end up being 8-4 Ark State will help any in recruiting. A win against a strong Fresno State, SDSU in New Mexico Bowl or lower tier ACC team however does matter. Kids do care about perception. That's actually all that matters anymore. Play and lose against an ACC team and you still got to play a postseason game against the ACC. That alone attracts people from a competitive standpoint. It's the same reason why 4 stars aren't flocking to sun belt and NO bowl champs. They want to play competitive games against the perceived best, not win against the perceived lower quality teams. And we shouldn't still be recruiting against Ark State regularly if we want to make progress as a program anyways.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I doubt a win against what would end up being 8-4 Ark State will help any in recruiting. A win against a strong Fresno State, SDSU in New Mexico Bowl or lower tier ACC team however does matter. Kids do care about perception. That's actually all that matters anymore. Play and lose against an ACC team and you still got to play a postseason game against the ACC. That alone attracts people from a competitive standpoint. It's the same reason why 4 stars aren't flocking to sun belt and CUSA champs. They want to play competitive games against the perceived best, not win against the perceived lower quality teams. And we shouldn't still be recruiting against Ark State regularly if we want to make progress as a program anyways.

You seriously think anyone gives an F about playing Fresno?  I'll remind everyone that the New Mexico Bowl is also played on 12/16.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I doubt a win against what would end up being 8-4 Ark State will help any in recruiting. A win against a strong Fresno State, SDSU in New Mexico Bowl or lower tier ACC team however does matter. Kids do care about perception. That's actually all that matters anymore. Play and lose against an ACC team and you still got to play a postseason game against the ACC. That alone attracts people from a competitive standpoint. It's the same reason why 4 stars aren't flocking to sun belt and CUSA champs. They want to play competitive games against the perceived best, not win against the perceived lower quality teams. And we shouldn't still be recruiting against Ark State regularly if we want to make progress as a program anyways.

I've mentioned in the past that most folks won't remember (or care) *who* we beat, especially if it was before our time. We'll just remember the we won.

A championship or bowl win sounds way better than "we played Georgia for three quarters". I don't know where I stand on this. I prefer bowl prestige, but I also want to win.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1