Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Here's another valid thought that was shared with me from a fan...

Are we reay to take on a p5 like Texas Tech, K-State or Texas? 

Sure the atmosphere and crowd would be amazing... but aren't we still a couple years away from being a p5 killer?

I am talking specifically about the lines, front seven, depth... we need to recruit our ass off in those areas.  Recruiting would be easier with a 10-win squad that just won a bowl game.  I understand that some are disappointed but I ask that you look at the long term picture here.   Believe me, if Wren and Seth etc felt that taking on a p5 team at this point in the rebuild was in our best interest I imaging they would be doing everything in their power to make that happen.

Harry being truthful with those thoughts.  At least 2 more good recruiting classes to have a winnable chance with the above 3 he lists. 

Hopefully we have some JUCO's already on campus ready to play in our 2018 football campaign. Any news on that?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is one of our best teams we have had and it has been an awesome season BUT, are we ready to take on a p5 like Texas Tech, K-State or Texas

Sure the atmosphere and crowd would be amazing... but aren't we still a couple years away from being a p5 killer?  What if they lay 60 on us like FAU did?

I am talking specifically about the lines, front seven, depth... we need to recruit our ass off in those areas.  Recruiting would be easier with a 10-win squad that just won a bowl game.  I understand that some are disappointed but I ask that you look at the long term picture here.   Believe me, if Wren and Seth etc felt that taking on a p5 team at this point in the rebuild was in our best interest I imaging they would be doing everything in their power to make that happen.

Yes. 

Almost every draft eligible player for UT is doing a Fournette and sitting out of the bowl game. Tech has no defense. And if K State is caught off guard with their vanilla level of play we can compete. 

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Wayne Gretzky"

-Michael Scott 

For the love of football heaven, please defending this blasphemy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is one of our best teams we have had and it has been an awesome season BUT, are we ready to take on a p5 like Texas Tech, K-State or Texas? 

Sure the atmosphere and crowd would be amazing... but aren't we still a couple years away from being a p5 killer?  What if they lay 60 on us like FAU did?

They likely are!   
And yes, I think this year's team could hang with KSSt & Tech.  Not sure about UT... would depend on the Longhorns' "want-to".  The Longhorns can get up for any game, but they can also 'play down to competition' just as easily.
10 wins is certainly attainable.  It's going to be difficult against any opponent we play.  It wont be significantly easier/harder between a 6/7-win Big12/ACC school and the SBC Champs.  The idea that going to the NO Bowl is a sure-fire win needs to die.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Harry bring truthful with those thoughts.  At least 2 more good recruiting classes to have a winnable chance with the above 3 he lists. 

Hopefully we have some JUCO's already on campus ready to play in our 2018 football campaign. Any news on that?

To have more of something, you simply have to have any of it first. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I feel what you're saying, and straight up in week 1 or 2 I don't disagree.... but you get Tech or Texas in a bowl game this year and you have all the momentum and capital on your side. Everything to gain, very little to lose against a very possibly somewhat disinterested P5, bitter about having to play us and ready to pack it in. 

Again, i get the 10 win argument... but i also suggest a motivated Troy squad is not just at the opposite end of the spectrum perception wise; they also might be as tough or an even tougher matchup than a middling P5. Plus, that "Everything to gain and very little to lose" scenario? That completely flips upside down against Troy. 

tghf.gif

• Lovely Take 3

Troy isn't an automatic win folks! Unfortunately I see the negative reproductions of losing to a sunbelt team.. getting to 10 wins? Well let's win against FAU. I think if UNT is at mercy to being placed somewhere that is open, then let's become the conference champs and get the honors of getting best pick for bowling.

If UNT is picking the NO bowl, welp.. then that's something out of our control.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

First of all, the winner of the SBC championship game will either be a 10-2 Troy or a 8-3 Arkansas State. It will not be a "6-6 Sun Belt team." And it will be a very tough game to win. Troy is getting Top 25 votes so the people who count know Troy is good. That includes Seth Littrell. 

Secondly, there is no reason to believe we "turned down" the HOD bowl. CUSA does NOT have a tie in there this year and only serious swapping combined with lots of conferences without enough teams was going to put us in it. The same is true for the Independance bowl - the contracted conferences appear to now have enough teams. 

Third, there is no reason to believe Seth Littrell would leave sooner because we went to the New Orleans bowl. He's going to leave when he gets the right offer no matter what bowl we play in. And from everything I'm reading, Seth and the athletic department LIKE the idea of playing in New Orleans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

They very well might be doing that.  If they are doing this to make it easier to recruit... isn't that what we want?

Beating Troy in a place that we don't really recruit, NO/South Louisiana does not move the needle for the fan base or recruits. And beating Troy is not a given. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

We would more than likely be the underdogs in that game....so the negative perception of our program would start before the teams ever took the field....

Agreed. And it's difficult for me to get up for the drive of 9 hours to New Orleans to watch us play a FunBelt team. Spending $1,000 minimum on hotel accommodations, food, tix, etc. All of this for....Troy (or Arkansas State). Like...Why? 

And the cherry on top would be we could get ran out of the building vs this team. We are capable of letting that happen. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

Hi VideoEagle,

If Coach Littrell and Wren are happy with NO Bowl, then 1 or both of them are already planning there exit from UNT!! Or, the sparklet's water cooler has "100 yrs. of UNT Althletic's acceptance of low expections". Then both men have been drinking the "Sparklet's Kool-aid"!!!

They both want out. They both know that sustainability with shit recruiting is going to be about as difficult as a paper bag holding water. It'll contain it for a very, very short amount of time. Then rips happen and eventually it busts. They know a 10 win season here will open eye balls and people will be watching next year closely and they also know that we will compete next year. They are writing their own future checks at the expense and dismay of the fans. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

3 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

Hi VideoEagle,

If Coach Littrell and Wren are happy with NO Bowl, then 1 or both of them are already planning there exit from UNT!! Or, the sparklet's water cooler has "100 yrs. of UNT Althletic's acceptance of low expections". Then both men have been drinking the "Sparklet's Kool-aid"!!!

So much hyperbole.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, meangreenthirteen said:

If true, this is a massive disappointment. Not only is NO far less feasible for me to travel to versus Shreveport or DFW, the timing is just terrible. 

Yeah, imagine waving good bye to the bowl location of choice right here in our yard to drive 3 hours to drive right by another bowl location of choice then to drive through a desolate and decimated state for 5 hours to get to the bowl destination of our coaches, er, I mean "players" choice. 

• Downvote 2

Meangreenthirteen,

I live in Houston and would much rather travel to Shreveport and play a P5 team with 6-6, or 7-6 record. At least that would be against an opponent with name recognition. I for one believe our football team can beat FAU, the NO Bowl Sunbelt representative team, or any opponent chosen for UNT to play in Shreveport!!

Go Mean Green!!

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, imagine waving good bye to the bowl location of choice right here in our yard to drive 3 hours to drive right by another bowl location of choice then to drive through a desolate and decimated state for 5 hours to get to the bowl destination of our coaches, er, I mean "players" choice. 

You're a really slow driver.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Troy isn't an automatic win folks! Unfortunately I see the negative reproductions of losing to a sunbelt team.. getting to 10 wins? Well let's win against FAU. I think if UNT is at mercy to being placed somewhere that is open, then let's become the conference champs and get the honors of getting best pick for bowling.

If UNT is picking the NO bowl, welp.. then that's something out of our control.. 

Troy suffers from the same thing we suffer...no national name ID (even after their beating LSU & others similar thru the years).  Only time you rise above the "no national name ID" syndrome is when (like Boise State) you have several years of finishing in the Top 25 (no matter who one of their many HFC's were they pulled that off). 

Wish we'd taken the same direction BSU did after we both left the Big West.  I know...."if if's & buts were candy & nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas."  (Dandy Don Meredith's oft' used quote on the old MNF).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

y'all are cute if you think "perception" of our program is going to swing dramatically among many outside of this little dysfunctional community whether we play in New Orleans or against some Big12 school in Dallas or an ACC school in Shreveport.

UNT beats Texas in HoD...do you really think the headlines will be about SL and how he's turning things around? no...it'll be how far Texas has fallen...how much work Herman has left to do...hell, what is Aggie doing today will take priority over any real media buzz for UNT. if UNT get's drilled by a Texas team I don't think we're quite ready for, it'll be same ol' UNT.

NOLA is a winnable game in a great and easily accessible travel city for a big fan turnout...especially for students post-finals. that '01-'04 run made life-time fans. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

They both want out. They both know that sustainability with shit recruiting is going to be about as difficult as a paper bag holding water. It'll contain it for a very, very short amount of time. Then rips happen and eventually it busts. They know a 10 win season here will open eye balls and people will be watching next year closely and they also know that we will compete next year. They are writing their own future checks at the expense and dismay of the fans. 

did your parents give you a puppy on Christmas...then, after it peed on the rug, make you take it outside and kill it?

just looking for some rationale for your fatalist approach to life.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4