Coaches/AP Ranking - Week 14

badnewspears

There are 30 FBS teams with at least 9 wins this season.

The AP has ranked 24 of them in their Top 25 (Miss. State is 8-4 and sits at #24), and four others received votes (Toledo & San Diego St. at 10-2, Troy at 9-2, and Boise St. at 9-3).

Only FAU and our Mean Green did not receive a single vote.

The Coaches Poll also has 24 of them in their Top 25 (same as AP, Miss. State is at #24), and five others received votes (Toledo at 10-2, Troy at 9-2, FAU, Boise St., and Fresno St. at 9-3).

Only our Mean Green did not receive a single vote.

After Army, I was hoping to receive at least one damn vote but then finishing the season strong, not playing down to Rice, and finishing at 9-3, really? Not one? It just goes to show that not only do we need to continue the fight this year and keep winning, but we have to pick right back up next year and build our brand nationally. If we finish next season in the same place, I guarantee we start to see votes but we need to have that signature win (I'm looking at you, Arkansas) to get our name in the minds of the voting members.

What do YOU think we need to start getting votes and how quickly do you think we could show up in the top 25 next year?

• Upvote 1

I think this is at least partially because of our blowout losses to teams that aren't even ranked. Couple that with reputation issues with the program and the conference. All we can worry about is what's ahead, and if you win out they almost can't keep you from being ranked in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, badnewspears said:

The AP has ranked 24 of them in their Top 25 (Miss. State is 8-4 and sits at #24), and four others received votes (Toledo & San Diego St. at 10-2, Troy at 9-2, and Boise St. at 9-3).

The Coaches Poll also has 24 of them in their Top 25 (same as AP, Miss. State is at #24), and five others received votes (Toledo at 10-2, Troy at 9-2, FAU, Boise St., and Fresno St. at 9-3).

After Army, I was hoping to receive at least one damn vote but then finishing the season strong, not playing down to Rice, and finishing at 9-3, really? Not one? It just goes to show that not only do we need to continue the fight this year and keep winning, but we have to pick right back up next year and build our brand nationally. If we finish next season in the same place, I guarantee we start to see votes but we need to have that signature win (I'm looking at you, Arkansas) to get our name in the minds of the voting members.

What do YOU think we need to start getting votes and how quickly do you think we could show up in the top 25 next year?

Actually FAU received 2 votes in the AP, they made a mistake and listed Florida (UF doesn't deserve any votes this year).

Edited by FAU Connoisseur

8 minutes ago, badnewspears said:

FAU got votes and not us because of the “style” wins.. winning by double digits.. Also, it’s a down year for CUSA as well because the projected power teams in CUSA did not perform, so it makes CUSA not look as good. 

We also had to come up nearly 70-80 spots to get top 25 votes.. We need to have some solid performances vs FAU and in the bowl game.. Troy is getting votes because of success and beating LSU at LSU 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

FAU got votes and not us because of the “style” wins.. winning by double digits.. Also, it’s a down year for CUSA as well because the projected power teams in CUSA did not perform, so it makes CUSA not look as good. 

We also had to come up nearly 70-80 spots to get top 25 votes.. We need to have some solid performances vs FAU and in the bowl game.. Troy is getting votes because of success and beating LSU at LSU 

I thought I read online that CUSA has more bowl eligible teams than any other conference. How is that a down year?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Per my post earlier this morning about this exact subject, FAU did get votes. If you notice it says "Florida" that is FAU, they just screwed up typing. 

Ah, I did a quick glance and guess I just missed your post. Yeah, I thought it was odd about Florida. Most of my family went there and a couple of my cousins played there the last couple of years so I've heard plenty about their down year. FAU makes more sense. So now it's really just UNT that didn't get a vote in either. SMH.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

I thought I read online that CUSA has more bowl eligible teams than any other conference. How is that a down year?

WKU under preformed with them getting to 6 wins, UTSA and LT struggled to get to 6 Wins... UAB had 3 games vs Charlotte, Rice, UTEP.. ODU slipped big time from 10 to 5 this year.. our most notable P5 win as a conference maybe Syracuse or Baylor... Yes we had a solid # of teams but it was during a year when we may have to many 6 win teams.

No votes until we beat FAU and (hopefully) get and beat a P5 team in a bowl game. For G5 perspective, Fresno St. has 2 losses to top 13 teams (Bama, Washington), have beat two top 30 programs (Boise & SDSU) and are only barely #25 in the AP.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Fresno made one hell of a turnaround. 

One hell of a defense + McMaryion (grad xfer QB from Oregon st) didn't hurt. Tedford could pull in almost $3m this year if he hits all remaining incentives (wins out, essentially). He's too old, already done the P5 thing - think Fresno is his last stop. Rumor is Oregon St reached out to him this past week and he said no thanks.