2017 Coaching Carousel

Coach Bill Lewis

tumblr_onhikzP9q91tpip5go1_250.gif

I figured I'd start a thread to round up all the coaching movements. What we have so far is...

Texas A&M - Fired Kevin Sumlin. In negotiations with Jimbo Fisher.

Ole Miss - Announced interim coach Matt Luke as new HC.

Florida - Fired Jim McElwain. In negotiations with Dan Mullen.

UCLA - Fired Jim Mora. Hired Chip Kelly.

Arizona St - Fired Todd Graham. Rumor is that they are in negotiations with Kevin Sumlin.

Tennessee - Fired Butch Jones. They were going to hire Greg Schiano but social media prevailed and the university has pulled out of the contract.

Arkansas - Fired Bret Bielema. Potential names are Mike Norvell, Brent Venables.

FSU - Jimbo Fisher should be leaving after next week. Who's up?

Miss St - Dan Mullen to Florida. Who's up?

Oregon St - Gary Anderson resigned.

Nebraska - Fired Mike Riley. I would think Scott Frost is the top candidate to return to his alma mater.

UTEP - Sean Kugler resigned.

I think there's also some MAC and Sun Belt openings but that's about it right now.

Edited by brooks91
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Lol Tennessee May owe Greg a sweet $20Million dollar buyout 

A number of the folks upset about Shiano are Tennessee legislators and state officials. How do you hire a guy for the highest paid state job without vetting? But I'll also bet the state will help cover some of the cost, although not without making sure the people involved in Shiano's memo of understanding never have state jobs in Tennessee again. 

24 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Apparently Sumlin to ASU is still rumors. No discussion yet.

He’s set to receive $20 million from A&M in the next 60 days but if he accepts another offer before then, the school doesn’t have to pay anything.

This time of year "rumors" is the key word concerning almost anything happening in the NCAA--even bowl game matchups. 

GMG!

Here is a great article that for the most part doesn’t reflect on our program’s past mistakes.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/27/16704020/kevin-sumlin-todd-graham-texas-am-arizona-state-coaches-fired

The article basically rephrased what I wrote in another thread about programs being unreasonably impatient by on their history and infrastructure.  Basically if your program has not finished the season ranked in the top 15 more than 3 to 4 (at least one of end of year rankings  should have come in the last 10 years under the current  head coach’s predecessor) in the pass 30 years you should be very careful firing a winning coach.

The big for Mean Green fans is; are we going to lose any of our position coaches due to all this movement?   I think our top Cooridinators are not going anywhere unless the defense lays 2 stinkers in the next 2 games.  Also this could be an opportunity to make some coaching staff upgrades.  Getting Assistants from those in limbo SEC staffs could be a major coup especially defensive minds with Texas recruiting ties.  Nebraska also may have some assistants worth considering too.

Edited by Mike Jackson

2 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

Rice also has a few recruit commitments that UNT should go after. Four 3* listed. 

Believe it or not some kids commit to a school because they want to go to that school.    

We absolutely should see if there is any interest, but I think we need to realize that most Rice recruits are going to Rice to get the Rice Diploma, not play for whoever the head coach is there.  

37 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Here is a great article that for the most part doesn’t reflect on our program’s past mistakes.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/27/16704020/kevin-sumlin-todd-graham-texas-am-arizona-state-coaches-fired

The article basically rephrased what I wrote in another thread about programs being unreasonably impatient by on their history and infrastructure.  Basically if your program has not finished the season ranked in the top 15 more than 3 to 4 (at least one of end of year rankings  should have come in the last 10 years under the current  head coach’s predecessor) in the pass 30 years you should be very careful firing a winning coach.

The big for Mean Green fans is; are we going to lose any of our position coaches due to all this movement?   I our top Cooridinators are not going anywhere unless the defense lays 2 stinkers in the next 2 games.  Also this could be an opportunity to make some coaching staff upgrades.  Getting Assistants from those in limbo SEC staffs could be a major coup especially defensive minds with Texas recruiting ties.  Nebraska also may have some assistants worth considering too.

All good points.

I think any job in the SEC West especially is setup for failure until Saban retires. Those schools need to accept they’re not going to have division champs year in and year out with that level of competition.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

A number of the folks upset about Shiano are Tennessee legislators and state officials. How do you hire a guy for the highest paid state job without vetting? But I'll also bet the state will help cover some of the cost, although not without making sure the people involved in Shiano's memo of understanding never have state jobs in Tennessee again. 

What did they miss in this “vetting process”? I’ve seen rumors it’s from his time at Penn State 

14 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

What did they miss in this “vetting process”? I’ve seen rumors it’s from his time at Penn State 

That is just a cover story because Shiano is not a “sexy enough” pick.  Because I guarantee if he had a little more success at Rutgers and spent time on some Saban Alabama staffs most would over look his Penn State scandal connection.   Unfortunately morals go out the window if you will Big enough In CFB.  And it is very ironic that commitment to winning led to the cover up that cost Shiano his new job now.  When it comes to Penn State karma failed big time only to be topped by the NCAA and the Big 10.  This happens at one of the lower Big 10 schools they are probably kicked out of the conference and get the death penalty.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Believe it or not some kids commit to a school because they want to go to that school.    

We absolutely should see if there is any interest, but I think we need to realize that most Rice recruits are going to Rice to get the Rice Diploma, not play for whoever the head coach is there.  

Yep, winning can’t be the top priority for recruits committing to Rice.  Diploma, location and professional networking probably all outrank winning in those recriuts minds.