Grambling State (11/27/17)

CMJ

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT needs to thank the Grambling coach for getting out of the full court press in the last two minutes. 

I assume he wanted to protect his players from fouling out, but I believe it lost him the game. 

Best thing about the game is the continuation of the maturation of Simmons.  

He, Gibson, and Smart are all great young talents to go along with Woolridge and Lawson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Yikes, can't ever say it's over.

I guess the team wants to make sure everyone stays until the end.

This is when you dedicate more practice time to the fundamentals. Press break. Better passes. Rebounding. Free throws.

They have just been watching the football team win close games and wanted to keep the fans engaged until the end. When football season ends and the thrill of winning close games passes we will see those 20 point wins again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He, Gibson, and Smart are all great young talents to go along with Woolridge and Lawson. 

I don't think you can call anyone great playing for NT at this point.   However, you are right this is a very young team that should continue to get better.  

Smart certainly looks like the real deal.   

I think NT has the talent to finish in the first half of the conference.   They are going to have to learn to deal with multiple defenses and get a better rhythm on offense.   Their defense too seems to be erratic.   Growing pains hopefully.  

• Upvote 1

This is definitely a game we lose the last couple years. Grambling shot very well, didn't make many unforced errors, and went 14-15 from the free throw line. They showed how they've been competitive in their games this year and beat a team we lost to. 

That's a program we should beat by double digits easily though, and I think we will once Mccasland has more time here.

Our depth is very thin right now. We are entering games with 10 scholarship players, of which there are only 6 that Mccasland can trust right now to play significant stretches and put the ball in the basket. Arikawe and Fuller have been nonfactors, and Miller and Holston are good defensive players but are limited offensively, particularly shooting from the outside.

Gonna be an uphill battle the rest of the year, but good to see Simmons and Duffy starting to play well. Those two have to be good for us to have a chance to push .500.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

They have just been watching the football team win close games and wanted to keep the fans engaged until the end. When football season ends and the thrill of winning close games passes we will see those 20 point wins again. 

I don't get to say this often but the Green are lucky they had those refs there.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Fun to watch McCasland with these young guys. He works his butt off during a game. Refreshing after what we had to watch the last four years! The future is going to be bright. Probably won't be this year but be patient. He will get this program turned around quickly.  Great hire. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Mike Miller is playing....or did you mean actually contributing other than just minutes?

Im sure he meant contributing.

He's contributing, just not scoring. There have been a few times when I've thought he's been able to really help break down the zone. Seemed like when he was in the ball was movement was better. Yeah he hasn't been impressive, but he's always moving and giving good effort on both sides of the ball. He does have some TO issues. 

• Confused 1

you think benford is on the board and giving the one down vote to anything and everything?

On 11/28/2017 at 8:18 AM, Matt from A700 said:

I don't get to say this often but the Green are lucky they had those refs there.

The Refs did not help UNT by any means, we got the same amount of bad calls as Grambling did.  Hard to believe you can have a defensive game with the current rules.  

Edited by southsideguy
  • Haha 2