Final Week Bowl Projections

shaft

I like that this thread has shown a lot of renewed optimism, I'm sad out how naïve some us are.  The gap between P5 & G5 is huge.  Talk of "national" attention is wishful thinking.  Undefeated UCF is #14.  Only 3 G5 teams in the top 25.

We need to become a regional power house.  Win our division, compete for conference title, sell out our stadium, go to bowls the kids want to go to, win bowl games.

You don't get those things by finishing the year 0-2, slaughtered in a bowl game, missing your star running back.

We have some momentum right now, let's use it to build the program the right way.  Go to the games, buy season tickets, buy a playoff game ticket, sell out our bowl allotment.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, Shark84 said:

The coaches will also look at the date of the game. A later bowl means extra practices for our red shirts and underclassmen. I think the extra work really showed at last year's HOD game. We played terrible against UTEP then regrouped and made it a game against Army. Let's just get a win Saturday and everything else will work itself out Sunday! GMG!

Incorrect, every team gets 15 practices regardless of bowl date.  

If you lose please do not go to NO, lose lose for you and the conference.  Love the town but playing a Sunbelt team is not a good idea for any reason.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, shaft said:

I like that this thread has shown a lot of renewed optimism, I'm sad out how naïve some us are.  The gap between P5 & G5 is huge.  Talk of "national" attention is wishful thinking.  Undefeated UCF is #14.  Only 3 G5 teams in the top 25.

We need to become a regional power house.  Win our division, compete for conference title, sell out our stadium, go to bowls the kids want to go to, win bowl games.

You don't get those things by finishing the year 0-2, slaughtered in a bowl game, missing your star running back.

We have some momentum right now, let's use it to build the program the right way.  Go to the games, buy season tickets, buy a playoff game ticket, sell out our bowl allotment.  

Careful now........ logic, facts and reality confuse people here. Que up the reply that says you are a typical UNT fan settling for subpar in 5,4,3,2......1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dusky said:

If you lose please do not go to NO, lose lose for you and the conference.  Love the town but playing a Sunbelt team is not a good idea for any reason.  

If that is the true, how can you get in 15 practices between Dec. 3rd and Dec.16th, the date for the NO Bowl? Also mix in travel days. That ain't gonna happen.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

IMHO, that is literally ALL THAT MATTERS for our program right now.

Perception perception perception

In reality...Troy and App State and Ark State are good teams. But in perception they are not. It's the same argument I make to those that want to be rivals with UTSA. Is San Antonio an easy drive? Yes. But what do we want for our program? If that's all we want is an easy drive or a fun weekend, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that...I just come down on the other side. As for bowl games right now,  I'll go sit in a -2 degree hell hole during a snow storm and watch UNT while not having access to food or beer if it means the program's national image improves. I don't give a damn about the destination. I want the most high profile bowl and opponent. I want to be talked about on Sports Center, I want to be in the same conversation as Boise and U of H for now...and bigger programs later. You can say, "it took them time to get there" and it it did...but we have to make decisions along the way of this journey and this is a big one. Plus....we're running out of time if this shift is coming....

If we have the option, I don't want anything to do with any program that is not a national brand. Half the battle is who you are associated with. Should it be? No. But it is. We have a perfect example in our little friends 30 miles to the south. The only thing SMU has EVER had going for it is it's association with bigger programs. And it has helped them because they haven't earned ONE THING on the field. I know it sucks....but that's the way it is. Think about it...why is SMU in the AAC? It's not because of their performance on the field. It's not their fanbase, their attendance. They are still living off of the southwest conference....the fact that they used to be in a conference with UT. That's it. We're gonna have to do it the hard way so if we have a chance to get that sort of perception...we should take advantage of it. We have had flashes of on field success but never the off the field, perception stuff. That's what SMU has had. We need to get some of that. Because once we do and it all comes together, our size and infrastructure gives us something a lot of programs don't have. We actually take it for granted.

We have a destination to get to...and that's national relevance. Once we get there....then we can have a good time and a nice vacation. But until then, I want UNT to be doing everything it can to get in the national conversation. As for this year's bowl, we may not have a choice anyway. I get that....so this little rant of mine may be moot, BUT.......I hope we're not actively lobbying for a Dec. 16th bowl game vs. a Sunbelt team. That would disappoint me.

Do we want our national brand to grow or not? The answer to that question will tell me what bowl I want. The NO Bowl would be fun sure, I had a blast at the last ones we went to...but what good does it do our program now. Put national eyes on our program and then make the decision.

I agree with most of what you say, but its not quite as simple as all that.  More important that one game is improving our recruiting for years to come - that and nothing else will help us compete at a higher level for the long term.  Winning one game isn't going to change our national fortunes.   Yes winning vs a P5 would be helpful in recruiting (pipe dream, but great none the less).  However, we are selling to 17 year kids and when they come visit Apogee, they can either see that we play in a bowl game in Dallas every year (i.e. go nowhere) or they can see that we went to New Orleans, Orlando, St Petersburg, etc, etc each year.   Much like the crazy uniform combos shouldn't matter but do, locations matter to recruits. If they see they get to play in a bowl game most years in a fun locationi with all the week long bowl hoopla that comes with it, they will be interested in that.

17 minutes ago, Dusky said:

Oh dude,  I thouhgt the same but was proven wrong.  Don’t have the links, but you’re not alone in your ignorance.

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh dude,  I thouhgt the same but was proven wrong.  Don’t have the links, but you’re not alone in your ignorance.

Didn't want to get into a pissing match, but those links were old.

The NCAA did change the rules, but there is still some kind of limit.  The limit is also different for New Years 6 & CFP teams.

The other side of the "more practice time" argument is less recruiting time.

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I cannot fathom what the score of this game would be, especially if Sutton plays rather than declaring & sitting out.

I'm assuming you know you can declare for the Draft, and still play the game right?

Only recently has it lead to players missing out on the bowl game to limit possible injury.. I would think Sutton would play vs UTSA because he could have 1 more huge day which would give him some more draft buzz going into the scouting season.. 

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

22 minutes ago, shaft said:

Didn't want to get into a pissing match, but those links were old.

The NCAA did change the rules, but there is still some kind of limit.  The limit is also different for New Years 6 & CFP teams.

The other side of the "more practice time" argument is less recruiting time.

You sure about that? http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-practice-guidelines-updated

Scroll down to postseason. If you can find an updated (from January 2017) version stating a 15 practice limit, please share.

Edited by Cr1028

10 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm assuming you know you can declare for the Draft, and still play the game right?

Only recently has it lead to players missing out on the bowl game to limit possible injury.. I would think Sutton would play vs UTSA because he could have 1 more huge day which would give him some more draft buzz going into the scouting season.. 

Of course I know that.
Sutton's measurables and production will be plenty for him to be a 1st rounder.  He has nothing left to prove, and the Frisco Bowl against the Roadrunners elevates risk of injury.

UTSA vs SMU in the Frisco Bowl.  Can they both lose?  I know someone said they had bought tickets to the Frisco Bowl already.  What a nightmare to watch as both teams are not well liked in these parts.  I don't know if Texas would have a big crowd at bowl game since are having another off season. I have noticed there has not as many t-shirt fans walking around this year

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

UTSA vs SMU in the Frisco Bowl.  Can they both lose?  I know someone said they had bought tickets to the Frisco Bowl already.  What a nightmare to watch as both teams are not well liked in these parts.  I don't know if Texas would have a big crowd at bowl game since are having another off season. I have noticed there has not as many t-shirt fans walking around this year

This game just makes the most sense, crowd-wise.   Let down for SMU, and a dream for UTSA, as they'll likely be thankful for any bowl they get.   The $100K question: does Toyota Stadium sell out for this game?

Score prediction for this game:
SMU - 63
UTSA - 10

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This game just makes the most sense, crowd-wise.   Let down for SMU, and a dream for UTSA, as they'll likely be thankful for any bowl they get.   The $100K question: does Toyota Stadium sell out for this game?

SMU - 63
UTSA - 10

Given that SMU brings 1000 fans. UTSA fans will start a fight before the game even starts and the 1000 SMU fans that decided to leave their country club in Uptown Dallas will leave.

They don't sell out.. 

SMU will win though. You're right.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SMU - 63
UTSA - 10

UTSA does not have the offense to keep up. They will get romped. I thought utsa vs Army would be a good match up. Utsa has a salty defense. They could contain that a little better. SMU vs UTSA would be a bloodbath from the early going and surely they must know this. 

13 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

However, we are selling to 17 year kids and when they come visit Apogee, they can either see that we play in a bowl game in Dallas every year (i.e. go nowhere) or they can see that we went to New Orleans, Orlando, St Petersburg, etc, etc each year. 

Then why not one of the other bowls we are tied into. Why take the one against a sun belt team? We can go to other locations and play more reputable conferences (Mountain West, AAC). Don't understand the obsession with NO Bowl.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1