Final Week Bowl Projections

shaft

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Man, the NO Bowls of the past were a blast. I’d love to play down there again, even against Troy. It would be a good matchup and they have quite a lot of name recognition this season because of that win at LSU. This would be a better matchup than going to the NM Bowl and playing SDSU or playing Army again...

I don't think that helps us though. There is a big difference in us saying "we (North Texas) beat LSU ourselves". Over, "We beat Troy, yeah but.. They beat LSU". Playing Troy would be good competition, but it does nothing for our branding. We need to pick on the bigger fish in conference above us. (That includes the AAC too)

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I don't think that helps us though. There is a big difference in us saying "we (North Texas) beat LSU ourselves". Over, "We beat Troy, yeah but.. They beat LSU". Playing Troy would be good competition, but it does nothing for our branding. We need to pick on the bigger fish in conference above us. (That includes the AAC too)

I agree here.

And I know folks may think the NM Bowl would not be a good "destination", but if you're into skiing at all, it's actually a fantastic destination.   Stay in Santa Fe (a beautiful town), drive down to ABQ for the Bowl Game, then drive up to Taos/Angel Fire for some Skiing.

9 hours ago, GreenBacker said:

Any prediction that has FAU in Boca you can just throw away.  The only scenario where FAU plays in Boca could possibly be an FAU v USF matchup.  Otherwise we will not be selecting Boca.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, shaft said:

This bowl selection really comes down to the AD & Coaches philosophy of what's more important right now for our program.

Money & ticket sales = One of the DFW bowls.

Most exposure = Independence Bowl

Biggest Risk/Reward = Heart of Dallas against Big 12

10+ wins = New Orleans 

Reward for players & fans= New Orleans or New Mexico

I think the players want to travel and do it up at a destination place. This sums it up nicely tho.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, shaft said:

This bowl selection really comes down to the AD & Coaches philosophy of what's more important right now for our program.

Money & ticket sales = One of the DFW bowls.

Most exposure = Independence Bowl

Biggest Risk/Reward = Heart of Dallas against Big 12

10+ wins = New Orleans 

Reward for players & fans= New Orleans or New Mexico

I think the coaches and AD REALLY want to make sure we hit 10 wins. That's why I think our bowl destination depends greatly on whether or not we win the C-USA Championship. If we win, I think we push hard for a matchup vs the Big 12 at the HoD Bowl. But if we lose then I think we're heading to NOLA for a better shot at 10 wins. 

• Upvote 1

I get the general logic of NOLA giving you a better shot to get that bowl win, but it puts you in a position where you're in the first game of the bowl season (which, like it or not, gives more gravitas to every single other CUSA bowl team that plays after our season is done) and puts you in a spot where you're almost certainly an underdog to a SBC team (if it's Troy). I can barely conceive of a worse option. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

More importantly I think the coaches think a "destination" bowl game will help them with recruiting.   

A nice high-profile bowl vs a name opponent has advantages. Personally, I think winning the conference title will go a long way toward boosting NT's attractiveness for one of those bowls.

27 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

A nice high-profile bowl vs a name opponent has advantages. Personally, I think winning the conference title will go a long way toward boosting NT's attractiveness for one of those bowls.

Yep.   Hoping the Independence Bowl reps who were at Apogee a couple of weeks ago enjoyed themselves while watching our high-octane offense.   I think they could really sell a C-USA Champion playing a P5, especially if it means Mean Green fans travelling to fill up their bowl.   I don't know that a C-USA Runner-up would excite them as much.

The coaches will also look at the date of the game. A later bowl means extra practices for our red shirts and underclassmen. I think the extra work really showed at last year's HOD game. We played terrible against UTEP then regrouped and made it a game against Army. Let's just get a win Saturday and everything else will work itself out Sunday! GMG!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

The coaches will also look at the date of the game. A later bowl means extra practices for our red shirts and underclassmen. I think the extra work really showed at last year's HOD game. We played terrible against UTEP then regrouped and made it a game against Army. Let's just get a win Saturday and everything else will work itself out Sunday! GMG!

Of course we played better VS Army!
Last year's UTEP game = This year's FAU game.
UNT shows up & "plays football", while their minds are elsewhere,  then get killed.

1 hour ago, shaft said:

I think our guys would be pumped over this matchup..not sure how Tech would feel about playing us, but that's not really my concern.  USA Today also has some other good games lined up. Thanks for sharing.  

On 11/27/2017 at 9:32 PM, GreenTexan13 said:

............but it does nothing for our branding. 

IMHO, that is literally ALL THAT MATTERS for our program right now.

Perception perception perception

In reality...Troy and App State and Ark State are good teams. But in perception they are not. It's the same argument I make to those that want to be rivals with UTSA. Is San Antonio an easy drive? Yes. But what do we want for our program? If that's all we want is an easy drive or a fun weekend, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that...I just come down on the other side. As for bowl games right now,  I'll go sit in a -2 degree hell hole during a snow storm and watch UNT while not having access to food or beer if it means the program's national image improves. I don't give a damn about the destination. I want the most high profile bowl and opponent. I want to be talked about on Sports Center, I want to be in the same conversation as Boise and U of H for now...and bigger programs later. You can say, "it took them time to get there" and it it did...but we have to make decisions along the way of this journey and this is a big one. Plus....we're running out of time if this shift is coming....

If we have the option, I don't want anything to do with any program that is not a national brand. Half the battle is who you are associated with. Should it be? No. But it is. We have a perfect example in our little friends 30 miles to the south. The only thing SMU has EVER had going for it is it's association with bigger programs. And it has helped them because they haven't earned ONE THING on the field. I know it sucks....but that's the way it is. Think about it...why is SMU in the AAC? It's not because of their performance on the field. It's not their fanbase, their attendance. They are still living off of the southwest conference....the fact that they used to be in a conference with UT. That's it. We're gonna have to do it the hard way so if we have a chance to get that sort of perception...we should take advantage of it. We have had flashes of on field success but never the off the field, perception stuff. That's what SMU has had. We need to get some of that. Because once we do and it all comes together, our size and infrastructure gives us something a lot of programs don't have. We actually take it for granted.

We have a destination to get to...and that's national relevance. Once we get there....then we can have a good time and a nice vacation. But until then, I want UNT to be doing everything it can to get in the national conversation. As for this year's bowl, we may not have a choice anyway. I get that....so this little rant of mine may be moot, BUT.......I hope we're not actively lobbying for a Dec. 16th bowl game vs. a Sunbelt team. That would disappoint me.

Do we want our national brand to grow or not? The answer to that question will tell me what bowl I want. The NO Bowl would be fun sure, I had a blast at the last ones we went to...but what good does it do our program now. Put national eyes on our program and then make the decision.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

We need our usual HOD crowd but we need a plan to get their attention at the pre-game Mean Green fan/UNT alumnus get-together  with the main theme of:

"Hey!  We need "YOU" at the Apogee 2018 season opening game  to do what we want to do with this football program--"your" alma mater's  football program!"

We need this theme on the Cotton Bowl stadium Jumbotron throughout the game, too.  There cannot be over-kill for this important message to all those wearing green.

(Actually, I'd   wager this staff is already on top of this--if we get the HOD).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Of course we played better VS Army!
Last year's UTEP game = This year's FAU game.
UNT shows up & "plays football", while their minds are elsewhere,  then get killed.

I’d be interested if that was the coaches’ wives’ trip last year or was Gainesville or other? For correlation purposes.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

IMHO, that is literally ALL THAT MATTERS for our program right now.

Perception perception perception

In reality...Troy and App State and Ark State are good teams. But in perception they are not. It's the same argument I make to those that want to be rivals with UTSA. Is San Antonio an easy drive? Yes. But what do we want for our program? If that's all we want is an easy drive or a fun weekend, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that...I just come down on the other side. As for bowl games right now,  I'll go sit in a -2 degree hell hole during a snow storm and watch UNT while not having access to food or beer if it means the program's national image improves. I don't give a damn about the destination. I want the most high profile bowl and opponent. I want to be talked about on Sports Center, I want to be in the same conversation as Boise and U of H for now...and bigger programs later. You can say, "it took them time to get there" and it it did...but we have to make decisions along the way of this journey and this is a big one. Plus....we're running out of time if this shift is coming....

If we have the option, I don't want anything to do with any program that is not a national brand. Half the battle is who you are associated with. Should it be? No. But it is. We have a perfect example in our little friends 30 miles to the south. The only thing SMU has EVER had going for it is it's association with bigger programs. And it has helped them because they haven't earned ONE THING on the field. I know it sucks....but that's the way it is. Think about it...why is SMU in the AAC? It's not because of their performance on the field. It's not their fanbase, their attendance. They are still living off of the southwest conference....the fact that they used to be in a conference with UT. That's it. We're gonna have to do it the hard way so if we have a chance to get that sort of perception...we should take advantage of it. We have had flashes of on field success but never the off the field, perception stuff. That's what SMU has had. We need to get some of that. Because once we do and it all comes together, our size and infrastructure gives us something a lot of programs don't have. We actually take it for granted.

We have a destination to get to...and that's national relevance. Once we get there....then we can have a good time and a nice vacation. But until then, I want UNT to be doing everything it can to get in the national conversation. As for this year's bowl, we may not have a choice anyway. I get that....so this little rant of mine may be moot, BUT.......I hope we're not actively lobbying for a Dec. 16th bowl game vs. a Sunbelt team. That would disappoint me.

Do we want our national brand to grow or not? The answer to that question will tell me what bowl I want. The NO Bowl would be fun sure, I had a blast at the last ones we went to...but what good does it do our program now. Put national eyes on our program and then make the decision.

This ^ times 10

5 hours ago, shaft said:

I love this possibility.

I also love that they project SMU v UTSA in Frisco.  Between their two fan bases...and 5,000 tickets given away...they MIGHT sell it out

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1