Final Week Bowl Projections

shaft

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Was not talking about the NO Bowl, nor did I say anything about it in my posts. It was about the Cure Bowl, which SL had his hopes on getting from my pre-game discussions with people around the program and athletic offices..

OK.  I see.
The conversation took an odd turn after Cerebus mentioned the NO Bowl, Wardly quoting him, mentioning the opponent being SBC, then you quoting Wardly mentioning either SBC or AAC.   I took it to mean you were thinking the N.O. Bowl had an AAC tie-in (which it currently does not, but apparently will next season).

Please no Cure Bowl.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.  I see.
The conversation took an odd turn after Cerebus mentioned the NO Bowl, Wardly quoting him, mentioning the opponent being SBC, then you quoting Wardly mentioning either SBC or AAC.   I took it to mean you were thinking the N.O. Bowl had an AAC tie-in (which it currently does not, but apparently will next season).

Please no Cure Bowl.

No idea why SL would would want the Cure Bowl outside of it being in FL, and it would be a recruiting ground we should have interest in but we can't even recruit very well in DFW when we could play and possibly beat a Regional "power program" in Tech... 

I would pass on Cure for HoD or Independence as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Huh?

The N.O. Bowl is reserved for the SBC champ and a fairly-high C-USA school.   I've not seen/heard of the AAC's involvement with that bowl at all. There were a few years when a MWC team was placed there due to open bowl slots or UTEP wanting to go West instead, but other than those few times, it's always been SBC Champ VS C-USA.

Couple years ago the Nola bowl changed to SBC champ vs rotating G5 conference team. I think it was CUSA/AAC/MWC teams each play 2 out of every 6 years. 

This bowl selection really comes down to the AD & Coaches philosophy of what's more important right now for our program.

Money & ticket sales = One of the DFW bowls.

Most exposure = Independence Bowl

Biggest Risk/Reward = Heart of Dallas against Big 12

10+ wins = New Orleans 

Reward for players & fans= New Orleans or New Mexico

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Uh... this better be a lie. Brett needs to investigate this claim.

I won't fork over good money to travel to New Orleans and watch the Mean Green play a Belt team. Sorry, count me out. After this season, our team and fans deserve better.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I’ve heard from someone in the Ath dept that they aren’t even considering the NM Bowl and want to get the team out of the metroplex but close enough for fans to travel so no where lavish. 

Take it or leave it but that’s what I was told over the weekend. 

I’m all about the independence bowl!! Shreveport!!!

The athletic department needs to listen to the fans. Our best opportunity is in either the Heart of Dallas Bowl or the Independence Bowl. If C-USA sends another team to those bowls to play a P5, or even a team from another G5, while we are stuck in the NO Bowl with a Sun Belt team, then there will be hell to pay.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

First of all, every one wants to play a Top 25 program in a bowl game no matter who they are-- P5 or G5 even UT-Austin & Texas Tech.

Secondly, all those who thought Tech and UT were not going to get all condescending about playing us stand up!   That's what I thought.   Remain seated. 

* Remember what snobs OU fans were when they had to play the Boise State Broncos in the Fiesta Bowl?  Arguably the best bowl game many of us had ever seen as the snobbish Sooners got their butts beat.  Boise State had reached as high as #2 in the Top 25 that season.  Not too shabby for our former conference mates, eh?

Some of that attitude (certainly a small percent) is that they've been sucking hind teat last few years and UNT is showing signs of life and even breath fog in a mirror; the kind of life that beat Texas Tech 2 out of the last 3 times we played them in Lubbock and which inspired this:   DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE MEAN GREEN?  (that quote from the great George Dunham whose given us hundreds of thousands of dollars of free air time on KTCK 1310 "The Ticket" since 1995 when it went on the air).

Texas intercollegiate colleges have always had a pecking order from the top to the bottom and the way you climb to the top of that order is win most every season, schedule & beat a few Top 25 schools and then get inside the Top 25 like our former Big West conference-mates  Boise State did for years--even after they kept changing Head Football Coaches about every 2 or 3 years.

BOISE STATE?

This is some of the Broncos HFC's short tenures, but (amazingly) during this time changing coaches often the Broncos were establishing their football program as a perennial Top 25 program.

Pokey Allen era (1993–1996)

Houston Nutt era (1997)

Dirk Koetter era (1998–2000)

Dan Hawkins era (2001–2005)

Chris Petersen era (2006–2013)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Uh... this better be a lie. Brett needs to investigate this claim.

I won't fork over good money to travel to New Orleans and watch the Mean Green play a Belt team. Sorry, count me out. After this season, our team and fans deserve better.

Given our luck, I would not rule this as not happening to us, unfortunately... I was a little deflated back in '13, when we got matched up with UNLV as our opponent in the HOD. 

I don't think the NO bowl is worse than another bowl game with Army. But the only plus side to it, is that we have history with that bowl and it's in New Orleans. Which gives us an excuse to visit Bourbon Street! But I don't want to play a SBC team for our bowl, especially since we made the conference championship. We deserve a better opponent. 

A few people, including Harry have been realistic bout our chances in the HOD with us playing Texas Tech or Texas. They have nothing to gain by playing us and everything to lose. I want to say that we still have a shot playing Tech, since they might be in a little more of a desperate situation (They were lucky enough to beat Texas and get eligible, and they are not high on the latter for upper tier bowl selection)

After reading through a lot of y'all's posts. I'm really warming up to the Bowl in Shreveport. I just really... really... really... hope we get to play a P5. A P5 that wants to bowl against some good G5 competition. We are that really good G5 competition. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

The athletic department needs to listen to the fans. Our best opportunity is in either the Heart of Dallas Bowl or the Independence Bowl. If C-USA sends another team to those bowls to play a P5, or even a team from another G5, while we are stuck in the NO Bowl with a Sun Belt team, then there will be hell to pay.

You're wrong.  New Orleans is a great destination for a bowl game.  I would love to go a support my team there.  

I understand the school not wanting to go back to the same bowl two years in a row. 

I also thing 10 wins is a bigger opportunity for the program.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Something else to consider about the HOD Bowl.  Even if our respective fanbases won't fill the Cotton Bowl (ours and either Tech's/UT's/whomever), there would be about 5-10,000 police and fire personnel whp would take advantage of the free tickets we receive to that bowl every year.  I have 8 tickets headed this way already!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Something else to consider about the HOD Bowl.  Even if our respective fanbases won't fill the Cotton Bowl (ours and either Tech's/UT's/whomever), there would be about 5-10,000 police and fire personnel whp would take advantage of the free tickets we receive to that bowl every year.  I have 8 tickets headed this way already!

So it's a mute point.  You get your free ticket no matter who plays in that bowl.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, shaft said:

You're wrong.  New Orleans is a great destination for a bowl game.  I would love to go a support my team there.  

I understand the school not wanting to go back to the same bowl two years in a row. 

I also thing 10 wins is a bigger opportunity for the program.

I don't like New Orleans. I don't drink. I have zero interest in traveling there to watch us play a Sun Belt team. You have fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, shaft said:

So it's a mute point.  You get your free ticket no matter who plays in that bowl.

Obviously...

My not so "moot" point is that a North Texas matchup against ANY decent P5, but especially a Tech or UT, would entice police and fire personnel who might not otherwise want to watch the HOD Bowl

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Obviously...

My not so "moot" point is that a North Texas matchup against ANY decent P5, but especially a Tech or UT, would entice police and fire personnel who might not otherwise want to watch the HOD Bowl

I'm waiting to see if UNT plays in the HOD to claim my tickets. Tuesday-Wednesday on nights so the HOD being on Tuesday the 26th is perfect for me. Count me in your crowd of those waiting to see who plays the HOD before claiming tickets.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't like New Orleans. I don't drink. I have zero interest in traveling there to watch us play a Sun Belt team. You have fun.

Man, the NO Bowls of the past were a blast. I’d love to play down there again, even against Troy. It would be a good matchup and they have quite a lot of name recognition this season because of that win at LSU. This would be a better matchup than going to the NM Bowl and playing SDSU or playing Army again...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3