Final Week Bowl Projections

shaft

Bahamas Bowl, I am sure was selected first because of the planning needed to go, airline tickets and passports.

I do wonder why there have been so much speculation about New Mexico, not a great bowl location for anybody in the conference.  Hawaii is another that nobody but the players and coaches would want.  

Area bowls also don't look good for NT.  Nobody wants another Army match, and the HOD bowl is not much of an award for NT players.   Frisco is just too small a venue.  

New Orleans bowl and Independence bowls are both possible.  New Orleans should be everybody's favorite for an out of area game.  Not that far to drive and lots to do.  The only opposition are from those that think that any p5 team is better than playing a higher rated G5.  Some think these bowls are more likely to go to USM and La Tech because of the number of fans they bring.  Bowl committees sometime also look at the days fans will spend in their city.   NT played USM in NO bowl and they had the most fans, but most didn't spend one night in NO. 

Florida bowls, I think would be a real possibility at Boca Raton or St. Petersburg.     Of course, I doubt NT wants to play 3 games in Boca Raton.  Nice travel but little prestige in these locations. 

Prediction:  A lot will depend on Saturday's game.  If NT wins; their pick would be between NO and if it develops a HOD game against a Big 8 opponent.    IF FAU wins, I don't think they would have the same option of a HOD game. They could very well pick much to the chagrin  of  the New Orleans Bowl, that game.  

Most likely NT bowls:

1. New Orleans

2. HOD

3.  Shreveport

4. New Mexico

5. St. Petersburg

Remote chance:

Frisco

Boca Raton

Armed Services

Hawaii

Belk, Charlotte NC.

Ouick Lane, Detroit

Music City, Nashville

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

No way in hell Texas would play us in a bowl, and I doubt T.T. would as well. They would have nothing to gain by a win, and everything to lose with a loss.

Tech barely squeaked into a bowl game.  They won't have the luxury of choosing who they play as they're going to be the LAST Big 12 team selected for a bowl.  Texas is only 1 rung up the ladder in the Big 12.   IMO, UT is a lock for the Texas Bowl in Houston.
Tech will likely play in the HOD bowl, regardless of who their opponent is.   
I'd love for it to be us, but I'm still holding out hope for an Independence Bowl invite VS an ACC team, like a lackluster (and likely Jimbo Fisher-less) FSU.  Although, I bet FAU would love a crack at the 'Noles, so if we want that game, we need to win the C-USA championship game this weekend.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

58 minutes ago, wardly said:

No way in hell Texas would play us in a bowl, and I doubt T.T. would as well. They would have nothing to gain by a win, and everything to lose with a loss.

Tech has agreed to a future home-and-home series, so why wouldn't they be willing to play UNT in a bowl game located where the majority of their alumni live and in fertile recruiting territory?  It would be as good of a bowl for Tech as it would be for UNT, and give both schools some very good publicity.

Not to mention both schools should easily sell their allotments of tickets in that scenario, which they both desperately need to do in order to make the bowl trip profitable (or at the very least not a financial loss, which many bowl games end up being).

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I’ve heard from someone in the Ath dept that they aren’t even considering the NM Bowl and want to get the team out of the metroplex but close enough for fans to travel so no where lavish. 

Take it or leave it but that’s what I was told over the weekend. 

I’m all about the independence bowl!! Shreveport!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

I’ve heard from someone in the Ath dept that they aren’t even considering the NM Bowl and want to get the team out of the metroplex but close enough for fans to travel so no where lavish. 

Take it or leave it but that’s what I was told over the weekend. 

I’m all about the independence bowl!! Shreveport!!!

SL apparently has or had his eye on the Cure Bowl according to people I know, but that was pre-Army information..

• Downvote 3

17 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

That being said, anyone from mid Alabama would welcome the reason to travel to the Bahamas because they live in Alabama....

Anyone would want to go to the Bahamas from anywhere because it's the Bahamas, not because they live in Alabama.

Having relocated to the Birmingham area from Dallas, I would respectfully disagree with your point here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  We will probably also have TV wanting to avoid the matchup as well so that they can protect their P5 ass(ets).

2 hours ago, TTEagle9601 said:

Tech has agreed to a future home-and-home series, so why wouldn't they be willing to play UNT in a bowl game located where the majority of their alumni live and in fertile recruiting territory?  It would be as good of a bowl for Tech as it would be for UNT, and give both schools some very good publicity.

Not to mention both schools should easily sell their allotments of tickets in that scenario, which they both desperately need to do in order to make the bowl trip profitable (or at the very least not a financial loss, which many bowl games end up being).

Maybe you are right![ those were the 4 hardest words I ever had to learn in business.]

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Venson said:

Having a chance to beat Texas would help recruiting as well if we could get it done.

Would love another shot at Texas -- the 2014 year we left so much meat on the bone. That team was ripe for upsetting in Austin.

Texas would be without their left tackle -- he's sitting out the bowl game. They would not be very hyped to play us. We would be stoked.

When UT plays in Texas, they sell it out -- Cotton Bowl (in the cotton bowl), Texas Bowl, Alamo Bowl -- so NT fans would need to get their tickets early or we will be ridiculously outnumbered instead of just way outnumbered.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Again the opponent would be from the Sun Belt.

That is likely but it is between the SunBelt and the American conference.. So I think the hope SL would have is playing an AAC team, but I would think a TT match up would do alot more for the school, conference, and for SL as well. 

I personally do not want to see a UNT UCF/USF game.. Would rather play vs Tech in HoD or Idenpence vs some larger..

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2

I think @untjim1995 is right that it is very possible Texas and Tech could decide they don't want the risk of playing us.  Texas is in a weird spot as they somehow managed to lose the game against Tech and their postgame presser with Herman was a morbid as I have ever seen him.  Tech wasn't even supposed to go to a bowl and be eligible.  So it's a weird situation for sure.  I hope that both of them won't look at playing us as a negative but we need to be prepared as that could happen.

58 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

That is likely but it is between the SunBelt and the American conference.. So I think the hope SL would have is playing an AAC team, but I would think a TT match up would do alot more for the school, conference, and for SL as well. 

Huh?

The N.O. Bowl is reserved for the SBC champ and a fairly-high C-USA school.   I've not seen/heard of the AAC's involvement with that bowl at all. There were a few years when a MWC team was placed there due to open bowl slots or UTEP wanting to go West instead, but other than those few times, it's always been SBC Champ VS C-USA.

Texas will play Texas A&M in Houston and they will have a huge Harvey effort tie in.  For this Texas colllege football blue blood I would love to see this game and with the cause attached that would be great for the state and fans (all Texas college football fans). 

I don’t mind playing the sun belt in New Orleans.  We come in as the beast for a change and get a weekend in New Orleans!  

GMG

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Huh?

The N.O. Bowl is reserved for the SBC champ and a fairly-high C-USA school.   I've not seen/heard of the AAC's involvement with that bowl at all. There were a few years when a MWC team was placed there due to open bowl slots or UTEP wanting to go West instead, but other than those few times, it's always been SBC Champ VS C-USA.

Was not talking about the NO Bowl, nor did I say anything about it in my posts. It was about the Cure Bowl, which SL had his hopes on getting from my pre-game discussions with people around the program and athletic offices..

• Downvote 2