John Stephen Jones

MeanGreen22

Noticed HP was playing right now and it prompted me to look up John Stephen’s recruiting page. No offers? I know he’s a small QB but he’s been lighting it up this year. 

I know we already have more than enough QB commits and the Jones’ have deep Arkansas roots, but I wouldn’t be opposed to trying to get the kid on campus. If nothing else, a nice tie in to the Jones’ as future donors

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Uh....You offer this kid if there is even a smidgen of interest. See what Jerry has done for U of Arkansas? This kid is in line to inherit the Dallas Cowboys. We want his alum status to be UNT. 

this kid can't play here.  give him a PWO sure, but do not waste a scholarship.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

this kid can't play here.  give him a PWO sure, but do not waste a scholarship.  

We are wasting scholarships on guys that would be the same as him.. Wyche has under preformed.. Dillman, Means, countless more.. 

hell offer the kid and get some pub because he will likely still decline it and go elsewhere.. worst cost he comes in and is a practice arm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We are wasting scholarships on guys that would be the same as him.. Wyche has under preformed.. Dillman, Means, countless more.. 

hell offer the kid and get some pub because he will likely still decline it and go elsewhere.. worst cost he comes in and is a practice arm

The single worst reasoning and statement I've ever heard to give a kid an offer. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, GMG24 said:

The single worst reasoning and statement I've ever heard to give a kid an offer. 

Lmao.. the kid has won a state championship.. the kid is the QB on one of the best teams in DFW and at worst is a practice arm.. we have guys who have been on scholarship for years and have yet to touch the field in a spring game or real game.... 

Hell, I’m sure Grandpa would write over a check also and maybe even alllow UNT to play at Jerryworld..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Lmao.. the kid has won a state championship.. the kid is the QB on one of the best teams in DFW and at worst is a practice arm.. we have guys who have been on scholarship for years and have yet to touch the field in a spring game or real game.... 

Hell, I’m sure Grandpa would write over a check also and maybe even alllow UNT to play at Jerryworld..

You don't offer scholarships to "hope grandpa does this" or hope we can get this donation.  The coaches at UNT and all over country have seen the kid and all agree he isn't a D1 QB.  UNT proved they'll go find and offer a guy that no one will if they think he fits, they obviously don't think that.  If your hypotheticals worked out that would be great, but UNT is already all over the Ford Center in Frisco and tied into Cowboys.  We're doing pretty good in that area already.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I rather  have that receiver that he throwing the ball at.  That guy can catch, has good hands and strength.  I don't remember his name or number though.  Is the kid from HP (walk on) still on the Mean Green football team?  

Don't think he made it to campus.

• Lovely Take 1

• 3 weeks later...

After watching the HP/Manvel game, I have three comments.

1.  Love the signing of Martin. Yes, he was surrounded by playmakers, but he makes smart decisions and gets them the ball.

2.  We need to keep the Manvel pipeline open. Unbelievable athletes. 

3. Offer Jones now. Kid was incredible, is a winner, makes those around him better, etc...  I am not a HP fan, but man he played a hell of a game.   

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1