DePaul at NTSU

Shark84

Do any of the old timers remember when we played#1 ranked DePaul back in the early 80's. Great battle between Mark Aguirre and Ken Lyons. Anyone have a copy of the boxscore? Don't think it was televised. Would love the see a replay. I think the Denton cable station showed the games on tape delay. Packed SuperPit. Awesome environment and game.

• Sad 1

The games against DePaul & UT were incredible.  If the Super Pit wasn't sold out for those games, it was close.  Just electrifying!

I also remember some great games against La Tech with Karl Malone.

I have a large photo of Kenneth Lyons playing against Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings in, I believe,  the 80-81 season. It's a pretty classic snapshot of our basketball legacy.

I'll see about having it scanned for display on here some time after the Thanksgiving holidays.

Edited by ADLER

No. 2 DePaul, which held a 16-point lead with...

Dec. 16, 1980

DENTON, Texas -- No. 2 DePaul, which held a 16-point lead with less than four minutes left, withstood a furious North Texas State rally and relied on six free throws in the final 37 seconds to defeat the Mean Green 92-86 Tuesday night.

The Blue Demons held what appeared to be a commanding 85-71 lead at 3:49, but North Texas, with Delonte Taylor scoring 8 of his game-high 29 points, hit for straight points to pull within 86-82 with 1:08 remaining.

Then Clyde Bradshaw hit two free throws with 37 seconds left, and Bernard Randolph came off the bench to hit four free throws in the last 11 seconds to help the Blue Demons to its victory.

DePaul, 6-0, was led by Mark Aguirre with 27 points. He was held to only 1 point in the second half and fouled out with 2:27 remaining. Teddy Grubbs added 22 points and Terry Cummings 18.

North Texas, down 50-47 at halftime, fell to 5-3

Note: DePaul came in 5-1 after a 63-65 loss to UT on Dec. 13th

Related UPI Stories

I remember being there, but I was pretty young.  The play that stood oit to me was a DePaul player jumping over the bench, which were chairs, to save a ball.  Unbelievable hustle and a great game.  We really thought we were going to beat them.