UTEP hires new AD

Coach Bill Lewis

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Imagine having a classic venue like the Sun Bowl in your back yard and having a national championship in your trophy case and having a president that doesn't support athletics. 

Beat Rice

GO" MEAN GREEN

If you win in El paso they will come.  There is not a lot going on in the big El Paso.  They are on island and not close to any major cities and have a captive audience with no real competition. Not even safe to go to Juarez anymore.   Back in the day when I spent two years at UTEP (being from El Paso) the crowds were always pretty strong in both football and basketball.  I am amazed at the pictures of their lack of fans at both the Sun Bowl and the Haskins center.  They win or just are decent and they will lead the CUSA in attendance. But recruiting to El Paso has to be hard.  It is a commuter school.  When I made way to NTSU I thought I died and gone to heaven.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

If you win in El paso they will come.  There is not a lot going on in the big El Paso.  They are on island and not close to any major cities and have a captive audience with no real competition. Not even safe to go to Juarez anymore.   Back in the day when I spent two years at UTEP (being from El Paso) the crowds were always pretty strong in both football and basketball.  I am amazed at the pictures of their lack of fans at both the Sun Bowl and the Haskins center.  They win or just are decent and they will lead the CUSA in attendance. But recruiting to El Paso has to be hard.  It is a commuter school.  When I made way to NTSU I thought I died and gone to heaven.

I'm from EP too. The city has changed a lot. UTEP isn't trying to get regional students either. They no longer allow kids from Cruces to get in state. (Unless they changed back to it.) I know a lot of folks there really angry about what UTEP has become. It makes recruiting kids impossibly hard. UNT, New Mexico, Texas State, UTSA, to name a fee blow them out of the water on a recruiting trip. That's just one area too. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1