Rogers State (11/22/17)

CMJ

14 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Georgia Tech is a winnable game. 

When was the last time we beat a top 40-50 team on the road?

Sagrin has them at 70, but they were projected around 38 to start the year. They will be difficult to beat, although anyone can win on any given night. Lawson and Smart get hot and anything is possible. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Well since you don’t know much about basketball. GT isn’t a top 40-50 team. RPI is like 228. Barely beat Bethune-Cookman. Only beat UTRGV by 10. So how are they a top 40-50 team?

Your a funny guy. Pretty much every major college basketball preview had them as a one and done in the tournament and 70 (Sagrin ratings) is the highest I have seen them. Who is going to stop Lammers in the post? We haven’t rebounded well and if we can’t shoot the three ball consistently it’s going to be difficult to win. We are really missing the one big time post player who can body up and bang down low. I was hoping Brice would adapt, but that didn’t pan out. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Your a funny guy. Pretty much every major college basketball preview had them as a one and done in the tournament and 70 (Sagrin ratings) is the highest I have seen them. Who is going to stop Lammers in the post? We haven’t rebounded well and if we can’t shoot the three ball consistently it’s going to be difficult to win. We are really missing the one big time post player who can body up and bang down low. I was hoping Brice would adapt, but that didn’t pan out. 

They don’t shoot the ball well. They haven’t played well this season. They turn the ball over a lot. Yes they can rebound the offensively well mainly just Lammers. On defense they are terrible at rebounding. They have no bench. Only really play 7 guys.

So yeah we might struggle on offense, but they do to. The way GT is playing right now it’s a winnable game. They aren’t playing like a top 50 team. They aren’t playing like their preseason rankings. 

Beat Bethune by 3, UTRGV by 10. 

Its a winnable game. 

4 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

They don’t shoot the ball well. They haven’t played well this season. They turn the ball over a lot. Yes they can rebound the offensively well mainly just Lammers. On defense they are terrible at rebounding. They have no bench. Only really play 7 guys.

So yeah we might struggle on offense, but they do to. The way GT is playing right now it’s a winnable game. They aren’t playing like a top 50 team. They aren’t playing like their preseason rankings. 

Beat Bethune by 3, UTRGV by 10. 

Its a winnable game. 

Two of their tops scores are suspended and they are still winning. The only list to UCLA by three and their top returning scorer stayed home.  It’s not impossible, but on the road against an ACC opponent is never going to be easy. I’m thinkkng there will be some home cooking just like Nebraska. 

Jackson will also be returning for the Yellow Jackets which will give them some fire power. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Interesting developments of this game were that Duffy took most of Holston's minutes (played 30 total), and Fuller was playing in place of Arikawe. Wondering if that may have been a disciplinary call, as Arikawe didn't even get put in for garbage time.

Mccasland said in the post game that Duffy hadn't even practiced before the first game and is starting to get up to speed. Going to look to him to take some of the load off Woolridge (who played 39 minutes) going forward, with Gibson out. Duffy and Lawson did a good job today as secondary ball handlers, combining for 7 assists and just 1 turnover.

I wonder how the minutes look going forward. Holston played a lot less. Him being a non-threat to hit open threes hinders the offense, because defenses have being leaving him alone on the arc, and forcing us to pass it out to him which is what they want. If Tikhonenko can get on the court for us, I'd like to see more 2-post lineups. Simmons is a promising young post, and Tikhonenko and Temara both are probably among our top 4 three-point shooters currently with Gibson out. Playing those two at the 4 would allow us to bring Duffy, Miller, and Holston off the bench which would be helpful going forward. That way Woolridge doesn't have to play 39 minutes a night.

Edited by BillySee58

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Interesting developments of this game were that Duffy took most of Holston's minutes (played 30 total), and Fuller was playing in place of Arikawe. Wondering if that may have been a disciplinary call, as Arikawe didn't even get put in for garbage time.

Mccasland said in the post game that Duffy hadn't even practiced before the first game and is starting to get up to speed. Going to look to him to take some of the load off Woolridge going forward, with Gibson out. Duffy and Lawson did a good job today as secondary ball handlers, combining for 7 assists and just 1 turnover.

I wonder how the minutes look going forward. Holston played a lot less. Him being a non-threat to hit open threes hinders the offense, because defenses have being leaving him alone on the arc, and forcing us to pass it out to him which is what they want. If Tikhonenko can get on the court for us, I'd like to see more 2-post lineups. Simmons is a promising young post, and Tikhonenko and Temara both are probably among our top 4 three-point shooters currently with Gibson out. Playing those two at the 4 would allow us to bring Duffy, Miller, and Holston off the bench which would be helpful going forward. That way Woolridge doesn't have to play 39 minutes a night.

I like playing Holston at the 4 right now. He is a great defender with good length. He can also play on the guards if there are switches. He is also 3-6 from three point range which is better than Smart, Duffy, and Miller. I believe only Temara is shooting a higher percentage than him from deep. Why do yo think he cannot hit the three when he was originally signed to play the 2 guard? 

I wish Woolridge would be better from three and the free throw line. It’s the only part of the game keeping him from being elite. I always want to compare him to Jason Kidd (possible triple double guy), but he needs to work on his outside game.  I love that he can break down the D and get into the paint easily, but you gotta make your free throws. 50% from the line for a point guard is not good. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Two of their tops scores are suspended and they are still winning. The only list to UCLA by three and their top returning scorer stayed home.  It’s not impossible, but on the road against an ACC opponent is never going to be easy. I’m thinkkng there will be some home cooking just like Nebraska. 

Jackson will also be returning for the Yellow Jackets which will give them some fire power. 

Tadric gives them some firepower, but I’d rather face him than Okogie. 

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I like playing Holston at the 4 right now. He is a great defender with good length. He can also play on the guards if there are switches. He is also 3-6 from three point range which is better than Smart, Duffy, and Miller. I believe only Temara is shooting a higher percentage than him from deep. Why do yo think he cannot hit the three when he was originally signed to play the 2 guard? 

I wish Woolridge would be better from three and the free throw line. It’s the only part of the game keeping him from being elite. I always want to compare him to Jason Kidd (possible triple double guy), but he needs to work on his outside game.  I love that he can break down the D and get into the paint easily, but you gotta make your free throws. 50% from the line for a point guard is not good. 

Even he doesn't think he can hit the three. You can tell by what he does when he gets the ball for a wide open three.

Heading into this season he was 1-12 from three in his career. He was 2-2 in that first game this year, with one made three being a shot that he just flipped up so the shot clock wouldn't expire. Since then he's 1-5 from three. 4-19 from three on his career. That's 21% on his career, with really one outlier 2-2 effort that makes his percentage even that high. That's why his percentage is high this year.

So if you're looking at just current year percentages and not actually watching the game or using bigger sample sizes, then I could see why someone might think he is a three-point threat. But opposing teams do not and that's why many times when he is on the court the defense plays us to kick the ball out to him wide open and make him try and beat them.

His length and athleticism is an asset, but unfortunately we are short of offensive firepower with Gibson and Tikhonenko out, so his offensive shortcomings have been exposed the last two games. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Mccasland said in the post game that Duffy hadn't even practiced before the first game and is starting to get up to speed. Going to look to him to take some of the load off Woolridge (who played 39 minutes) going forward, with Gibson out. Duffy and Lawson did a good job today as secondary ball handlers, combining for 7 assists and just 1 turnover.

The 2 big lineup doesn’t really fit the dribble drive motion offense we are currently running. Not sure how good of a ball handler Tikhonenko is. 

I was surprised Rodgers didn’t throw the zone at us. Georgia Tech will for sure. 

If defenses are wanting to kick it to Holston he needs to attack off that kick. No need to shoot a long shot. Attack the gap and do what you do best. 

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Even he doesn't think he can hit the three. You can tell by what he does when he gets the ball for a wide open three.

Heading into this season he was 1-12 from three in his career. He was 2-2 in that first game this year, with one made three being a shot that he just flipped up so the shot clock wouldn't expire. Since then he's 1-5 from three. 4-19 from three on his career. That's 21% on his career, with really one outlier 2-2 effort that makes his percentage even that high. That's why his percentage is high this year.

So if you're looking at just current year percentages and not actually watching the game or using bigger sample sizes, then I could see why someone might think he is a three-point threat. But opposing teams do not and that's why many times when he is on the court the defense plays us to kick the ball out to him wide open and make him try and beat them.

His length and athleticism is an asset, but unfortunately we are short of offensive firepower with Gibson and Tikhonenko out, so his offensive shortcomings have been exposed the last two games. 

Fair enough. I still believe he can hit the three. Stay late and practice more. He was a SG in high school correct? To me he is a versatile player and our best defender. I enjoy watching him play and hope he continues to get the chance. I haven’t been impressed with Miller or Duffy. They were both top 40 JC in the nation, but haven’t had that one big game yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

We seem to go hot and cold.  I wish the refs would let them play basketball.  I don't know how a team can play defense under current rules.

Hopefully the rules will continue to change as they close the gap with the NBA. I would like to see th me refs hold the whistle, the shot clock moved to 24, and the assists definition to match the NBA. They are far more relaxed when it comes to that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

The 2 big lineup doesn’t really fit the dribble drive motion offense we are currently running. Not sure how good of a ball handler Tikhonenko is. 

I was surprised Rodgers didn’t throw the zone at us. Georgia Tech will for sure. 

If defenses are wanting to kick it to Holston he needs to attack off that kick. No need to shoot a long shot. Attack the gap and do what you do best. 

Calipari has done it at Memphis and Kentucky. As long as that 4 can handle the ball a little and space the court with a jumper, the 4 can be basically a stretch 4. Which is what Temara came here as and Tikhonenko is basically a tailor made stretch 4. Mccasland even mentioned being able to play Temara as a stretch four pregame before the first game.

Definitey not expecting to ever see two of Fuller/Arikawe/Zach Simmons ever on the court at the same time. But Temara and Tikhonenko should give us that option. Especially with how low we are on guards.

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Calipari has done it at Memphis and Kentucky. As long as that 4 can handle the ball a little and space the court with a jumper, the 4 can be basically a stretch 4. Which is what Temara came here as and Tikhonenko is basically a tailor made stretch 4. Mccasland even mentioned being able to play Temara as a stretch four pregame before the first game.

Definitey not expecting to ever see two of Fuller/Arikawe/Zach Simmons ever on the court at the same time. But Temara and Tikhonenko should give us that option. Especially with how low we are on guards.

Well hopefully Tikhonenko can join the team soon and we will see how it works. Next year we will be guard heavy. We still need a solid post. 

• Upvote 1