Eli Howard

Marty

He should still be eligible for a 6th year due to the situation where he transferred here after his father was diagnosed with cancer, if I remember correctly. This article mentions it, and why he was denied immediate eligibility prior to last season. In order to get a hardship waiver due to his injury, he would have to miss two seasons due to injury or prove his redshirt in 2015 was due to injury. Still a decent chance English gets to play 3 more seasons here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-drops-immediate-eligibility-hardship-waiver-for-transfers-191437627.html

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

He should still be eligible for a 6th year due to the situation where he transferred here after his father was diagnosed with cancer, if I remember correctly. This article mentions it, and why he was denied immediate eligibility prior to last season. In order to get a hardship waiver due to his injury, he would have to miss two seasons due to injury or prove his redshirt in 2015 was due to injury. Still a decent chance English gets to play 3 more seasons here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-drops-immediate-eligibility-hardship-waiver-for-transfers-191437627.html

but we're UNT, I'm not holding my breath.

54 minutes ago, Marty said:

but we're UNT, I'm not holding my breath.

This is such an unsubstantiated myth on this board that I have no clue why so many people are convinced that this is an actual thing. 

Derek Thompson got a medical redshirt for the 2010 season because he had played in the NCAA specified <30% of the team's total games played that season at the time of his broken leg. Tony Mitchell got granted a redshirt even though the NCAA initially said he would lose his first year of eligibility altogether. Just this year Garrett Gunter was granted a medical redshirt after going down in the 4th game of the season last year.

I'm sure this myth willl continue to be said on this board as fact, but it's not true and is no indication that English should not get a 6th season of eligibility due to the circumstances surrounding his transfer.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is such an unsubstantiated myth on this board that I have no clue why so many people are convinced that this is an actual thing. 

Derek Thompson got a medical redshirt for the 2010 season because he had played in the NCAA specified <30% of the team's total games played that season at the time of his broken leg. Tony Mitchell got granted a redshirt even though the NCAA initially said he would lose his first year of eligibility altogether. Just this year Garrett Gunter was granted a medical redshirt after going down in the 4th game of the season last year.

I'm sure this myth willl continue to be said on this board as fact, but it's not true and is no indication that English should not get a 6th season of eligibility due to the circumstances surrounding his transfer.

Ever heard of Zach Muzzy?

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

didn't Cobbs have an get granted one as well?

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Ever heard of Zach Muzzy?

Went ahead and looked this up. Looks like he got injured in the 4th game of the year after playing in the first 3. He played 4 games out of North Texas' 13 games that season. 4/13 = 30.7% of North Texas' games that season, which is technically greater than 30%. That's tough, and sucks, but it's within their letter of the law.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

So I still don't see any precedent that the NCAA is going to deny English a waiver for a 6th year just because we are North Texas. Again, look at all the examples that have been mentioned in this thread. It's a myth that the NCAA has rejected our waivers unfairly, at least in years recent enough to be relevant.

English transferring after his father was diagnosed with cancer is within the letter of the law for the family hardship waiver. This is from back when it used to be applicable for granting a student-athlete immediate eligibility, but has since been changed to grant that student-athlete a 6th season.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

IMG_0293.PNG

58 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Went ahead and looked this up. Looks like he got injured in the 4th game of the year after playing in the first 3. He played 4 games out of North Texas' 13 games that season. 4/13 = 30.7% of North Texas' games that season, which is technically greater than 30%. That's tough, and sucks, but it's within their letter of the law.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

So I still don't see any precedent that the NCAA is going to deny English a waiver for a 6th year just because we are North Texas. Again, look at all the examples that have been mentioned in this thread. It's a myth that the NCAA has rejected our waivers unfairly, at least in years recent enough to be relevant.

English transferring after his father was diagnosed with cancer is within the letter of the law for the family hardship waiver. This is from back when it used to be applicable for granting a student-athlete immediate eligibility, but has since been changed to grant that student-athlete a 6th season.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

IMG_0293.PNG

Don’t they have to prove his KSU redshirt was due to injury? If you recall, DT did not redshirt his first season so we didn’t have to prove his initial redshirt was due to injury.

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Don’t they have to prove his KSU redshirt was due to injury? If you recall, DT did not redshirt his first season so we didn’t have to prove his initial redshirt was due to injury.

To get a medical hardship waiver for the 2017 season, yes. But he should be eligible for a 6th season due to the 2016 season, in which he transferred after his father's cancer diagnosis. Completely unrelated to the fact that he has missed the first 11 games of the 2017 season due to injury.

In the event that he were able to prove he redshirted at KSU in 2015, and missed the 2017 season due to injury, plus get a year due to the terms of his transfer, then he would be looking at a 7th season of eligibility and being a redshirt freshman next year despite entering his 4th year of college. I don't think that's likely, especially since it sounds like the coaches are thinking about playing him still this year, which leads me to believe they know there's no case for claiming his redshirt in 2015 was due to injury, but I can't say for sure.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

In the event that he were able to prove he redshirted at KSU in 2015, and missed the 2017 season due to injury, plus get a year due to the terms of his transfer, then he would be looking at a 7th season of eligibility and being a redshirt freshman next year despite entering his 4th year of college. I don't think that's likely, especially since it sounds like the coaches are thinking about playing him still this year, which leads me to believe they know there's no case for claiming his redshirt in 2015 was due to injury, but I can't say for sure.

I thought Eli Howard got the same and he was never injured.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I thought Eli Howard got the same and he was never injured.

I think you're having trouble following my post. There are two seperate waivers that English could be eligible for.

The first is regarding the circumstances of the transfer. This is why Howard got an extra year. This is also the first way that English can get an extra year of eligibility, in addition to the two he undeniably has remaining after this season. This used to be terms that would grant a player transferring immediate eligibility, rather than sitting out a season, but in 2015 the NCAA changed that to allowing the player a 6th season rather INSTEAD of being eligible immediately.

The second is a medical hardship waiver. This is either getting a redshirt for playing in less than 30% of their team's games and missing the rest due to an injury and getting a redshirt for that season if the player had not previously used a redshirt 

or

getting an extra year of eligibility if the player plays in less than 30% of the team's game in two seasons, both due to injury. English would be eligible for this if he could prove he redshirted in 2015 due to injury.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think you're having trouble following my post. There are two seperate waivers that English could be eligible for.

The first is regarding the circumstances of the transfer. This is why Howard got an extra year. This is also the first way that English can get an extra year of eligibility, in addition to the two he undeniably has remaining after this season. This used to be terms that would grant a player transferring immediate eligibility, rather than sitting out a season, but in 2015 the NCAA changed that to allowing the player a 6th season rather INSTEAD of being eligible immediately.

The second is a medical hardship waiver. This is either getting a redshirt for playing in less than 30% of their team's games and missing the rest due to an injury and getting a redshirt for that season if the player had not previously used a redshirt 

or

getting an extra year of eligibility if the player plays in less than 30% of the team's game in two seasons, both due to injury. English would be eligible for this if he could prove he redshirted in 2015 due to injury.

Thank you 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Eli Howard is having a strong year for Tech (whose overall defense sucks) with 10 tackles for loss and 6 sacks.

He’s a late bloomer then, because I remember seeing that dude in practice & he could barely get around a dummy, let alone an OL.  Was worried we wasted a schollie on him & wasn’t bummed to see him go.

Now look at him!  Good for that guy!