CBS Sports power rankings

GMG_Dallas

CBS Sports' latest power rankings has FAU at number 25 and UNT as being "just out" along with South Carolina. If we win big this week, we might be in. Win out the rest of the way, we're definitely in. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-power-rankings-san-diego-state-fau-make-most-of-cupcake-week/

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

CBS Sports' latest power rankings has FAU at number 25 and UNT as being "just out" along with South Carolina. If we win big this week, we might be in. Win out the rest of the way, we're definitely in. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-power-rankings-san-diego-state-fau-make-most-of-cupcake-week/

i doubt we move anywhere this week if it's a power poll... just like this week, people will only take notice if we beat another school that is rolling... and that showdown is on Dec. 2

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

i doubt we move anywhere this week if it's a power poll... just like this week, people will only take notice if we beat another school that is rolling... and that showdown is on Dec. 2

Agree 100%. What it does show though is that if we win out, we should be ranked at the end of the year. I do think it's critical that FAU win this upcoming game and then win their bowl for that to happen though. First thing's first, beat Rice. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas

Baby steps guys.  We've come a long way in two years.  I'm not concerned about a top 25 ranking or even receiving votes for the top 25.

My hope is-  beat Rice, FAU, and win our bowl game.  If we end up ranked, great!  I want to retain our staff for 2018 AND recruit really well in 2018.  We need quality recruits across the board.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Iowa and SMU are both 6&5, FAU beat us by 38 points. We have a nice team, but not a top 25. Sagarin , which I find the most accurate , had us at #100 before we beat #64 Army, so with his new rankings out later today  I am guessing 80  or so.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Good idea of difference was seen last weekend, a average Florida Team ripped a surging UAB team, shows the chasm. Sorry but we are not near Top 25 right, sitting around 45-50 range on high end. Team has not dominated anyone except a hurricane racked Lamar team and a 0'er UTEP Team. 

Iowa (outside of Ohio St) and SMU are average teams and team got manhandled by them, then there is the FAU butt kicking. 

Now if team comes out and beats the snot out of Rice and then pulls off upset of FAU, then maybe some votes coming.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, wardly said:

Iowa and SMU are both 6&5, FAU beat us by 38 points. We have a nice team, but not a top 25. Sagarin , which I find the most accurate , had us at #100 before we beat #64 Army, so with his new rankings out later today  I am guessing 80  or so.

Army went up to #69, we dropped to #94. No love for the Eagles.

21 minutes ago, wardly said:

Not saying I disagree with you but it's a power rankings. They viewed Army as a good team and we beat Army so now we've caught their attention. This is what should have happened if wr beat Army. Regarding SMU and Iowa, yes we lost to them. Power Rankings is a measure of where you are NOW, not 2 months ago. They view FAU as a top 25 team in terms of current performances so our loss to them is just viewed as a loss to a team playing very well. That FAU game was also a month ago. Again, power rankings measure current strength.

35 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Good idea of difference was seen last weekend, a average Florida Team ripped a surging UAB team, shows the chasm. Sorry but we are not near Top 25 right, sitting around 45-50 range on high end. Team has not dominated anyone except a hurricane racked Lamar team and a 0'er UTEP Team. 

Iowa (outside of Ohio St) and SMU are average teams and team got manhandled by them, then there is the FAU butt kicking. 

Now if team comes out and beats the snot out of Rice and then pulls off upset of FAU, then maybe some votes coming.

I think this is what most voters and non-UNT fans see. Our wins are against Lamar, UAB, USM, UTSA, ODU, LT, UTEP, and Army with Rice next. Then they see absolute butt-kickings by SMU and FAU, as well as a score against Iowa that looks worse than it was.

What will really help us out is to not get crushed by FAU again, but they are a matchup nightmare for us. 

My measurement of where we are right now is how we compare against the entirety of the G5s and that we need to be in the top third of that group. And I think we are now. And from where we were two years ago, when we were the worst team in FBS, with some of the worst QBs a team could ever roll out with, and having suffered the worst loss in the history of modern college football, this rise is damn near miraculous to me...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Crazy. Is every team we have beaten outside of UTEP ranked better than us? How is this justified. 

with the Sagarin ratings? it's a mathematical equation, so the justification is the inputs... although i don't know exactly what they are