Now we are talking!

greeneagle1

9 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/11/20/ncaa-1-130-re-rank-no-changes-after-drama-less-weekend/879615001/

USA Today with some nice new 1-130 rankings today

31 FAU
43 Iowa
45 NORTH TEXAS
50 Army
52 SMU
60 So. Miss
69 UTSA

Most accurate rating I've seen all year. Now if we can get revenge on FAU... 

How many spots did we jump up to get to #45 on their list? Hahaha

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

how did we jump SMUT?  They manhandle us or should I say Sutton us.   I don't get it I look at the box scores he does not do much against any other team.

Is he another Taulefa? Wanted to go to UNT and didnt offer? Or did we shut him down one year and he wanted revenge? Either way, I'm glad he is going to the NFL so we dont have to see him again. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

Conference standings and record. Fan turnout and distance are secondary measures. 

No G5 bowls look primarily at how many tickets you can buy.  If they are tied to a local city hospitality group they they also look at hotel rooms.  Since ESPN also controls almost every single G5 bowl they also take tv rating in consideration, but the truth is few G5's move the rating need enough for ESPN to care. 

ESPN wants P5 vs P5 games, and that is why all the bowl tie ins have been shuffled over the last few years to make P5 vs G5 bowl games a rarity.  

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

how did we jump SMUT?  They manhandle us or should I say Sutton us.   I don't get it I look at the box scores he does not do much against any other team.

He's had five 100-yard games, and 4 multi TD games (12 TDs + 1 ruTD) this season. 

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Across the board, I got:

Sagarin: 94

CBS: 66

USA Today: 45

RealTime RPI: 39

All...over...the...freakin'...map.  

Which if any of these do bowl committees look at? 

9 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

Conference standings and record. Fan turnout and distance are secondary measures. 

That's not what our 2 HOD appearances have shown. They want a big crowd and ticket sales and such. So they have done bowl trades in the past to get our 40k instead of another team's 5 to 10 k. My bet is we get HOD again unless we get offered a better bowl.

2 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

That's not what our 2 HOD appearances have shown. They want a big crowd and ticket sales and such. So they have done bowl trades in the past to get our 40k instead of another team's 5 to 10 k. My bet is we get HOD again unless we get offered a better bowl.

I don’t disagree but it’s just time for another flavor for us as much as I like the easy trip to dallas.  It’s time to get out there in the rest of the world of bowls it feels like.  I really don’t have a sound argument for why that’s a good thing other than MAYBE some extra exposure and a fresh vibe for the kids.  NO, Independence and even New Mexico sound better to be than HoD unless there is a P5 opponent. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

But look who we have played in those. Army was a 7-5 team that people were wondering if they would make a bowl. We were the 5-7 team who shouldn’t have been in. Both of those teams last year were some of the last to be placed. Good conference teams get good conference bowls against a team with a good record In their perspective conference, assuming that both are G5 or P5. You won’t see a 10-2 CUSA team play a 6-6 AAC team just because that matchup will bring fans. You will see 6-6 vs a similar record like 7-5 from two G5 schools. If you bring in a P5, then a lower P5 vs high G5 is what you get in that rare instance. 2013 is a bad example because we got our bowl bid we wanted but there wasn’t a Big 10 or Big 12 team available to play us so we got stuck with UNLV. No way that they should have played us but that’s who we got stuck with. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Cerebus said:

No G5 bowls look primarily at how many tickets you can buy.  If they are tied to a local city hospitality group they they also look at hotel rooms.  Since ESPN also controls almost every single G5 bowl they also take tv rating in consideration, but the truth is few G5's move the rating need enough for ESPN to care. 

ESPN wants P5 vs P5 games, and that is why all the bowl tie ins have been shuffled over the last few years to make P5 vs G5 bowl games a rarity.  

Let’s say the Idaho Bowl was up for grabs and Boise finished 10-3 with a conference title and Idaho finished 6-6 but qualified. No way they would swap for that matchup, even thought it will probably sell out the stadium and then some. Confence standings and record does matter. 

6 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

Let’s say the Idaho Bowl was up for grabs and Boise finished 10-3 with a conference title and Idaho finished 6-6 but qualified. No way they would swap for that matchup, even thought it will probably sell out the stadium and then some. Confence standings and record does matter. 

Actually the Idaho bowl would love a Idaho/Idaho state matchup. No way Boise would agree to it.

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Actually the Idaho bowl would love a Idaho/Idaho state matchup. No way Boise would agree to it.

The Famous Potatoes Bowl that’s played at Boise St. has had Boise St. several times and the tie in is a MAC team but again, it would be a MAC team with a similar record as whoever respresents from the MWC. 

On 11/20/2017 at 7:11 PM, tmjerm said:

I don’t disagree but it’s just time for another flavor for us as much as I like the easy trip to dallas.  It’s time to get out there in the rest of the world of bowls it feels like.  I really don’t have a sound argument for why that’s a good thing other than MAYBE some extra exposure and a fresh vibe for the kids.  NO, Independence and even New Mexico sound better to be than HoD unless there is a P5 opponent. 

On 11/20/2017 at 10:58 PM, greeneagle1 said:

But look who we have played in those. Army was a 7-5 team that people were wondering if they would make a bowl. We were the 5-7 team who shouldn’t have been in. Both of those teams last year were some of the last to be placed. Good conference teams get good conference bowls against a team with a good record In their perspective conference, assuming that both are G5 or P5. You won’t see a 10-2 CUSA team play a 6-6 AAC team just because that matchup will bring fans. You will see 6-6 vs a similar record like 7-5 from two G5 schools. If you bring in a P5, then a lower P5 vs high G5 is what you get in that rare instance. 2013 is a bad example because we got our bowl bid we wanted but there wasn’t a Big 10 or Big 12 team available to play us so we got stuck with UNLV. No way that they should have played us but that’s who we got stuck with. 

I don't disagree with either of you on any level. I'm just saying that seems the most likely landing spot. If they get a chance to fill it with 2 P5 teams then they will...but otherwise, they will likely take us. Honestly this seems like a good year for them to make some trades and put us against Texas but we will see what happens.