DRC Sunday column: Littrell has been great for UNT, too great to be around long

Brett Vito

F’that.  We are building something special.  There has been no evidence or signs the coach is leaving. 

Quit, being a downer, just so you can get out front with an opinion.

Nothing says SL doesn’t finish out 5 years then go coach the Cowboys.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Brett, maybe we can keep Littrell for a few more years.  No reason why continuing success at NT won't bring out more donor$ that could pony up some incentives to keep him.  Grow this thing into a Boise State, all the while being relatively close to your family.  I don't necessarily agree with Brett on this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey all Brett is saying is smart people recognize talent and will seek them out and that talent usually (based on empirical data) doesn't stay at the same job for very long before they move on to bigger and better opportunities because that's what talented people do.  Hard to argue with that logic.   BTW, how long has Brett been the North Texas beat writer for the DRC?

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

I think leaving or staying for Littrell and Baker will depend on what the offer is. Neither one needs to be in a rush as things are going well here. Staying only adds to their resume. In Littrell's case, he has the chance to improve his reputation for recruiting. I think a 9-3 season will help him do that! 

If the right offer comes along, both of them will be gone. The difference is NOW NT has a real, live example of the positives that come from bringing in coaches (and ADs) who can perform. It will be had for the anti-athletics folks to make the argument we should "just settle" when we have seen what can happen when we don't. 

Good grief. That article was basically 5% Littrell and 95% what a joke of a little program UNT is and we should NEVER expect anyone to ever stay here more than 2 years and if any good coach gets here it is such a joke they will leave as fast as humanly possible. 

What an insulting article. I hated the tone of it. 

Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

But Boise is likely to get a move up and TCU will move down, is that what you’re saying?

No. There will be less Power conferences. P5 will become P4. B12 will probably explode, shuffling will occur. Some teams that are in a power conference will no longer be. I don't think any non current P5 school will ever move up again.

Well, I hope he stays. I understand Brett trying to do some expectation management with his article. Maybe Littrell decides to stay and turn UNT into a consistent top 25 team like Snyder did at K-State. Now that would send him down in history as one of the best ever. No one believes that UNT could ever be that. Maybe his ego convinces him to stay and do something that everyone said couldn't be done. Just like when Jerry Reed asked Burt Reynolds on Smokey and the Bandit on why they were making that Coors beer run from Georgia to Texarkana and back. Cletus Snow said "They said it can't be done." Bandit's response "Well, that's the reason son."

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT is in a major media market, and one of the largest if not the largest.. if we can improve in the athletics department the rest will take care of itself.

P5 already owns this market.  No need to give us any of the pie when they already have the market and we are a long way from delivering it.  I would post the numbers of our last locally televised game but they are frankly just sad.

If we are to truly move up the college football food chain, then we must develop into an athletic department that successful coaches don't want to leave.  I'm sure there are factors that could be adjusted which might entice Littrell to stay when a P5 does come sniffing around.

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Such as?

Can't say for certain. I'm not in the athletic department. Baker might start by asking Littrell what North Texas could do in order to make the UNT head coaching  position his dream job.

Vito mentioned TCU's Patterson in his article. I doubt Gary Patterson viewed TCU as his dream job when he first got into coaching. At some point TCU turned it into his dream job.

• Upvote 2

Leave to to BV to shit in the hot tob.

As long as UNT is committed to continuing or increasing the support for athletics that they have recently shown, I am not near as concerned as I would be 5-10 years ago.  As long as we are not in one of the highest level conferences, this will always be a threat if we are hiring the right coaches.

Personally, if I were an AD at a P5 school I would want to see Littrell do a few things out of him before I pulled the trigger.  Littrell has proven that he knows offense.  As an AD I would want to see him prove that he can build a serviceable defense and out recruit his peers.  I probably would wait to see if this year is a fluke (lots of 1 score wins). 

Keep in mind there are at least a dozen or so head current FBS coaches that are in line for a 'move up' job as well as a dozen or so current P5 coordinators that are in line for a HC job.

Some possible names that are current HC that could be looked at for bigger jobs:

Scott Frost, UCF
Mike Norvell, Memphis
Chad Morris, smoo
Bryan Harsin, Boise
Mike Bobo, Colorado State
Blake Anderson, Arky State
Philip Montgomery, Tulsa
Jason Candle, Toledo
Neal Brown, Troy
Frank Wilson, nutsak

There are also a number of current OC/DC at P5's that are going to be in line for HC jobs as well. 

It's not necessarily a given that Littrell will move on after this season.  I will be much more worried next year if he is able to continue his upward trend (and improve on the areas mentioned).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1