Jim Mora out at UCLA

oldguystudent

1 minute ago, brooks91 said:

Wow, P5 jobs are becoming so cut-throat. It’s like you can’t have a down year or you risk losing your job, especially at the bigger schools.

Yep, I feel like you'd be much happier at successful G5 school and turning them into a power program

• Upvote 5

I don't know that the G5 schools are any less cutthroat. We pay less, but it's not like we've got a higher tolerance for down seasons.  

The difference is that in G5, you lose, you're gone.  You win, you move up to P5.  

In P5, you lose, you're gone, but with tens of millions of dollars. 

You win, you're probably STILL gone, because you couldn't beat Saban. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

24 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I don't know that the G5 schools are any less cutthroat. We pay less, but it's not like we've got a higher tolerance for down seasons.  

It depends on the program regardless of level and what they consider a “down” year.   Consistently unranked P5 programs always have down years.  However you don’t hire big name like “Jim Mora” and accept more than 2 down years.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, brooks91 said:

Wow, P5 jobs are becoming so cut-throat. It’s like you can’t have a down year or you risk losing your job, especially at the bigger schools.

I guess, but many times it is warranted. Jim Mora has been at UCLA now for 6 seasons. He's 46-30, a winning percentage hardly over .600. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to produce. You don't produce, they'll move on and try to find someone who will. Same story for Bielema at Arkansas, Sumlin at ATM, Butch Jones at Tennessee, McElwain at Florida, etc. etc. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2017 at 6:06 PM, Ben Gooding said:

I guess, but many times it is warranted. Jim Mora has been at UCLA now for 6 seasons. He's 46-30, a winning percentage hardly over .600. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to produce. You don't produce, they'll move on and try to find someone who will. Same story for Bielema at Arkansas, Sumlin at ATM, Butch Jones at Tennessee, McElwain at Florida, etc. etc. 

Agree but I believe Arkansas, UCLA, and Texas A&M are just a little unreasonable in their expectations.   All of them are closer to being Oklahoma State than Ohio State.  If there is good chance that most of the parents of players you are recruiting can’t remember the last time your program appeared in a title game you should have a little more patience with your coaches.  You should not be firing them for not achieving things your program have never done before within 3 years.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

My phone popped up a story today Chip Kelly to UCLA. Didn't check for validity, but that sure would be interesting.

I heard that too.  I don’t know the wisdom of that choice for Chip.  I am not taking a pressure packed job at program that is second fiddle in their city.   If your program has historically not been able to win recruiting battles in your county and you share a conference with them that isn’t a recipe for long term successful job.

Edited by Mike Jackson

3 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Mike Riley was fired from Nebraska. I imagine he’s the top candidate with his history there.

What is Riley's connection to Florida?

You could be right, but I don't know about anything that suggests Riley would be a higher priority than Frost.  I see a lengthy career that hasn't eclipsed 0.600 anywhere.

11 minutes ago, greenminer said:

What is Riley's connection to Florida?

You could be right, but I don't know about anything that suggests Riley would be a higher priority than Frost.  I see a lengthy career that hasn't eclipsed 0.600 anywhere.

Think he means Frost to Nebraska. Think he is an alum of Nebraska.