We shouldn’t abandon the Army series

Harry

Unfortunately Army while recognizable is also bizarre. I don’t think anyone would be nearly so fired up about unloading them if we hadn’t got stuck wwith them in the bowl game too. But the fact is, we’ve had enough of Army. I don’t like Liberty either but until Army has a consistently poor option QB, please no more Army.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I've no interest in playing Army again for the same reasons that's already been discussed here.  In fact I'd like to stay away from scheduling teams with offenses such as theirs.

I've said this for years on this board and to everyone I ever speak to about NT football and NT sports in general for that matter...I DO NOT WANT fans of the opposing team coming to Apogee.  I don't want to rely on the other team's fans in filling up our freaking house.  We have 38K students, couple hundred thousand alumni in the area and are in a region of about 7 million people.  Let's give our own fans/alums etc reasons to filling up all 30K seats.

What increases visibility, buzz & recruiting are wins...and more win...and then more wins...and then even more wins.  I'd much rather beat a fellow G5 opponent or beat the tar out of them then play a Texas Tech or Houston and lose by 1 point. If we win...all is well...if we lose it's like oh ya there's no way we could beat TT, Hou, etc.  It's just peoples mindset and perceptions that we're going to have right now until and if we just truly start turning this thing around win consistently for years and years.

While I'm no fan of the Liberty home/home it gives us a reason to kick the living tar out of them twice and just accumulate those wins which we need desperately as a program to change culture/perception.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Finally!  Someone 20-25 years younger than me that thinks similarly & is thinking "revenue" scheduling.

If we don't tie Army into a multi-year home & home,  SMU or some other Texas-based G5 school will take care of Army's Texas recruiting needs by scheduling them.

And don't think that SMU movers & shakers aren't looking over their shoulders checking out what's going on in Denton--especially last night..  The SMU AD is probably aggressive enough to be making a call to West Point next week. 

My fellow 70's alum & I had a blast last night!  

GMG!

And a special thanks to our visiting CUSA fans or SMU'er for the red because...only a non-assimilator to Mean Green progress OldDenton type of alum would  press the red. Comprende?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, wardly said:

I moaned the loss of our Army series until last night. They are just dirty players, which is different than being aggressive. I have been watching college football for over 60 years and have never seen 6 personal fouls called on one team before. GO NAVY!

Guess you don't remember Miami in the 1980's and early 90's.  Their Cotton Bowl against Texas was infamous for the amount of penalties they had and may have kept people from voting for them to win the National Title.

17 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Guess you don't remember Miami in the 1980's and early 90's.  Their Cotton Bowl against Texas was infamous for the amount of penalties they had and may have kept people from voting for them to win the National Title.

Good Miami-FIU Brawl. And that's from 2006. 

Edited by Monkeypox

11 hours ago, Harry said:

I know that playing Army 3 times in what seems like a year is overkill.  That said, there is a real passion about playing this team both on and off the field.  

Heres what I know, every time we play them it is a dogfight.  They have some of the best fans I have ever seen us have in Apogee both in number and quality.  The atmosphere they brought to Apogee last night was special.

I realize that playing them is a defensive coordinators nitemare.  And I know that we have played them a lot in a short amount of time.  I just think that there is something developing between these two programs that should not be ignored.

Agreed Harry.  A little bad blood between programs builds a rivalry.  They owned us in the past, but we've won two out of the last three and took the third to OT.  I'd like a chance to even up the series.  The last three games against Army have been very entertaining games for Mean Green fans to watch.  Nationally known program that we've been able to leverage into national recognition for our own program.  Cannot over estimate what these three games have done to build the North Texas brand. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Green Mean said:

I've no interest in playing Army again for the same reasons that's already been discussed here.  In fact I'd like to stay away from scheduling teams with offenses such as theirs.

I've said this for years on this board and to everyone I ever speak to about NT football and NT sports in general for that matter...I DO NOT WANT fans of the opposing team coming to Apogee.  I don't want to rely on the other team's fans in filling up our freaking house.  We have 38K students, couple hundred thousand alumni in the area and are in a region of about 7 million people.  Let's give our own fans/alums etc reasons to filling up all 30K seats.

What increases visibility, buzz & recruiting are wins...and more win...and then more wins...and then even more wins.  I'd much rather beat a fellow G5 opponent or beat the tar out of them then play a Texas Tech or Houston and lose by 1 point. If we win...all is well...if we lose it's like oh ya there's no way we could beat TT, Hou, etc.  It's just peoples mindset and perceptions that we're going to have right now until and if we just truly start turning this thing around win consistently for years and years.

While I'm no fan of the Liberty home/home it gives us a reason to kick the living tar out of them twice and just accumulate those wins which we need desperately as a program to change culture/perception.

I would love to beat the tar out of Tech and I think we still lead the series with Texas Tech, I know we can do it , it is only a matter of will we do it? SO are we "little ole North Texas" or are we going to be a winning solid program. Is this the "New Denton"???  I would like to play some teams  that matter. 

I am mixed on Army I am not sure they really matter enough for the injuries their style of football generate. 

It's obvious the Army game was abandoned to set up improved future scheduling, and the home/home with Houston fits that bill. Army is still on the future schedule (2020, 2021) as well. The good guys lost about 5 bodies the other night too. It's football and it happens, but playing Army late in the year isn't necessarily great from a health standpoint, and defensively you have to scheme up the option. That's a complete battle/grind for 60 min, reasonable not to what to do that yearly. As for not wanting to play Liberty over a difference of opinion, get over it. I'm not Mormon, nor do I necessarily agree w/ their beliefs, but I'd love to have a home/home with BYU. As would just about all of us. It's a winnable road game, victories equal a change in perception. Just keep winning, everything else follows. That's how every program has ever made the come up. Plus, I can think of worse things than bending over Liberty on a Saturday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

18 hours ago, Green Mean said:

<snip>

</snip>

Seriously?  I get that we never want to find ourselves outnumbered in our own stadium, but playing against teams that travel well and come to your stadium and enjoy our hospitality (and leave with a defeat) is one of the best things about college football.  Some of the greatest game experiences are when both schools have their bands (and fans) in the stands and cheerleaders and mascot on the field...that's what college football is all about IMHO.

• Upvote 2

With a passion we need to sign the contract to continue this series.

I noticed many Mean Green fans having a blast fraternizing with Cadets & Army fans at pre-game tailgating.  

We get coverage in New York & surrounding areas, too, where we would eventually be known enough to get Top 25 votes from a very important media part of the country.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, ItsSparky said:

. As for not wanting to play Liberty over a difference of opinion, get over it. I'm not Mormon, nor do I necessarily agree w/ their beliefs, but I'd love to have a home/home with BYU. 

Liberty ain't BYU.  BYU is a legitimate university - respected for great academics.  Liberty is an embarrassment to higher education.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Anyone that thinks Liberty will be a cake walk I believe is poorly mistaken. 

Should have scheduled TSU-San Marcos instead.  They'd bring 5k paying fans & right now would be more beatable than Liberty.  

We have to schedule some teams just  like TCU use to know exactly when to schedule us  which was never in the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Should have scheduled TSU-San Marcos instead.  They'd bring 5k paying fans & right now would be more beatable than Liberty.  

We have to schedule some teams just  like TCU use to know exactly when to schedule us  which was never in the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's. 

GMG!

Well I would hope that there wouldn't be room for 5,000 Texas state fans...we have a ton of history with them (like it or not) so I wouldn't be opposed to a series in the future. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1